Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Guest ElAguila

I didn't have any issues with getting an rma. The issue with me was that I had to get an rma and then a month later another rma and then 2 weeks later another rma. That is when I sold the unopened rma set and got off of this merry-go-round.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to everyone,

I'm from Italy so please don't take care about my english....

I've bought a kit of ballistix the i've sent them for rma, now i've get back the replace kit, but i'm in trouble, i cannot reach some stability, i'm not so expert with all the timings settings of my ultra-d so i hope someon can help me.

Now i'm running at 250mhz 1:1, dram voltage at 2.8v, these are the timings settings:

cpc:disable

Tcl: 3.0

Trcd: 3

Tras: 10

Trp: 3

Trc: 12

Trfc: 16

Trrd: 3

Twr: 3

Twtr: 2

Trwt:7

Tref:4708

DRAM BANK INTERLEAVE: ENABLE

DQS SKEW CONTROL: INCREASE SKEW

DQS SKEW VALUE: 0

DRAM DRIVE STRENGTH: WEAK4 <------ If i try to set to normal or weak 1-2-3 (or auto) the pc doesn't boot

DRAM DATA DRIVE STRENGTH: LEVEL1

MAX ASYNC LATENCY: 8ns

DRAM RESPONSE TIME: NORMAL

READ PREAMBLE TIME: 5.5NS

IDLE CYCLE LIMIT: 256

DYNAMIC COUNTER: ENABLE

R/W QUEUE BYPASS: 16X

BYPASS MAX: 7X

32 BYTE GRANULARITY: ENABLE

Dual Channel (yellow slots)

If i set cpc enable > 1t is more less stable.

What also could i do?

thanks a lot

Bye

Zerotre.

Zerotre Try:

cpc: Auto

Trcd: 4

Tras: 8

Trp: 4

Trc 13

Tref 3120

Read Preamble: 6.0

Dynamic Counter: Disbale

Have you tried the ram in the Orange slots too? If not try them in the orange slots..

Michael

Put them in the orange slots and try these settings I posted previously on page 61 of this thread for Z503 1sticks

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...1434#post491434

I have been using them since MAy with no problems previously running with opteron 170 @270 1:1 using 2.6v now with opty 165 @2.9 on a 180 divider with 2.7v. They have worked for me using 2.6-2.7v upto 270-280 or using looser settings for 280+. I have had them above 300 but cant get it prime stable - I think my CPU memory controller has reached its limit! I use strengths 7/3 or 5/3 - whichever gets you prime stable best.!

Put them in the orange slots and try these settings I posted previously on page 61 of this thread for Z503 1sticks

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...1434#post491434

I have been using them since MAy with no problems previously running with opteron 170 @270 1:1 using 2.6v now with opty 165 @2.9 on a 180 divider with 2.7v. They have worked for me using 2.6-2.7v upto 270-280 or using looser settings for 280+. I have had them above 300 but cant get it prime stable - I think my CPU memory controller has reached its limit! I use strengths 7/3 or 5/3 - whichever gets you prime stable best.!

thank you, but i can't see them, please can you upload them at imageshak.

Thanks a lot.

Bye.

looks like the HL2 site is under refurbishment.

Try these 1:1 - good for upto 270-280 on 2.6-2.7v. Start with 2.6v . Try Loosening trfc to 14 and tref to 4708 if you struggle to stabalise..

If running okay at DDR500 or lower try tightening up further - trp= 2, tras=5. IF still okay and you are not above DDR500 try CAs=2.5. If you are really keen and it looks stable You can further tighten y max async =7 and read preamble =4.5. If you have very good sticks they will take these tighter timings. Miine cant but its worth a try I had mine running 2.5,3,2,5 at DDR490 but they wouldnt take the max async any lower than 8. I am now finding that with a divider I needed to go from 2.6v to 2.7v.

cpc:auto

Trcd: 3

Tras: 8

Trp: 3

Trc: 7

Trfc: 12

Trrd: 2

Twr: 2

Twtr: 1

Trwt:3

Tref:3684

DRAM BANK INTERLEAVE: ENABLE

DQS SKEW CONTROL: off

DQS SKEW VALUE: 0

DRAM DRIVE STRENGTH: 7 or try 5 if that doesnt work

DRAM DATA DRIVE STRENGTH: 3

MAX ASYNC LATENCY: 8ns

DRAM RESPONSE TIME: FAst-fastest

READ PREAMBLE TIME: 5

IDLE CYCLE LIMIT: 16

DYNAMIC COUNTER: enable

R/W QUEUE BYPASS: 16X

BYPASS MAX: 7X

32 BYTE GRANULARITY: Disable

It would be good to know what the rest of your BIOS settings are and your Opteron 170 stepping and cooling to help on your setup. Many 170's do 2.6 - 2.7 on stock volts if they are good steppings and your memory should be able to run 1:1 @270. You would notice the difference!

I've just started clicking up mine. 240 @ 2.6 @ the mo. No major timing changes yet. Its not needed at all seen as i can run Serato/Soundforrge/Resolume/Adobe After effects and Sony Vegas all at the same time without an itch :~)

But ill keep increasing bit by bit just for curiosity. I got my last set to 305 so i know im nowhere near the best these sticks can perform but at 2.6V on my ram and 1.375 on my CPU at present, im Really happy with just 240. Ill bump it up to 250 tomorrow :)

• 3 weeks later...

There was a bad batch of memory. This was resolved long ago. Had nothing to do with DFI or any board. It was a Micron issue. Also most ppl weren't cooling them as should have been. Micron usually gets a tad hot. You put a fan over them and keep them cool. I do that with ALL my mem modules.

I know it really doesn't show that I used Ballistix but they were 512 x 2 ddr 400. Best DDR sticks I have ever had. I had like 4 sticks too. I had a pair of .16 and a pair of .8. Double and single sided. All stable. Super Pii tested.

On an evga sli board at stock V on chip.

evgaoc2708yw.th.jpg

On an Asus I was messign around with. Took her to chip limit b4 ading more than stock V @ 3 3 3 270 HTT

asus250fsb6yj.th.jpg

It doesn't show much here but I was able to do the best on my Lanparty Ultra-D. Max I could do was 290's @ 3.0v @ 3 3 3

46degdr0on6wq.th.jpg