Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Yeah, when I ran mine at 2.8v, they would error out pretty quickly as well as being burning hot to the touch (with the CPU fan blowing air over them), whereas at 2.66, they were 36 hour MT86+ stable (when I got them) and ran much much cooler. I ran my first set at 2.8v the whole time and they lasted about 2 1/2 months. I ran the second set at 2.66 for about 7 months before they crapped out. They just simply didn't like high voltage.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech
Point is, Crucial has lost me as a customer for life. And my recommendations to everyone I meet is not to buy Crucial stuff. That's it.

It's like me pappy always told me, it's a lot easier to keep a customer than to go out looking for new ones.

I'm sorry to see all this terrible ram-death, from what was great performing well known good name memory.

I was sort of following this months ago at another forum, moderated by a fellow that is sort of a Crucial fan, who was collecting data and trying to give Crucial the benefit of the doubt. I was seriously hoping he was right, and it was only a production run or two that may have been problematic.

Looks like it is more serious than that. I can only say that the first step is complete refunds or exchanges with ram that will NOT die again, is the only thing they can do. Granted it is late in the game to be stepping up to the plate for this, and probably damage control, but they will suffer revenue losses as a consequence. So be it.

Well, I've had a chance to play with the Corsair 2x1gb PC4400-PRO stuff.

Aside from it having pretty lights (they are pretty cool looking!) this stuff does what it says

and a little more. I haven't really tried past 280 yet. I found a real sweet spot at 280x9 1:1

(2.53ghz) 3-4-4-8 2T (prime stable) My cpu is not the best oc'er, max is 2.55ghz.

I spoke w/ a corsair rep today, he said this stuff is really only rated at 2T beyond a

certain point. After messing with it for a while at 1T, I gave up.

Overall, I'm a happy camper now. I bet this stuff lives a long happy life, compared to the

crucial junk we've had.

I also spoke to crucial today, they SUPPOSEDLY are getting the new stock of 2gb kits in on

July 13 (tomorrow) they've had my ram for about 45 days!

Yep, I've been waiting for this day for a while now :P. They better ship me some memory or I'll be quite pissed. If I don't contact them at work, I'll do it on my lunch break. They've had my RAM for two months now and that is long enough.

Good to know that a few of you experience the same thing when using 2.8v.

Crucial have the Tracer 2x1GB kits back on their website, wonder if they think the problem is cured?

Anyone care to find out.

:)

Crucial have the Tracer 2x1GB kits back on their website, wonder if they think the problem is cured?

Anyone care to find out.

I've asked them a few times if they would ship me the tracers in place of my standard ballistix kit. They are steadfast in their policy of replacement of exact modules if you didn't buy the ram directly from them. This is what pisses me off about crucial, we're out of our ram for 2 months and they won't do anything to help us out.

Well, I just did the online chat with them again and they said that as of 11:45 AM PDT, they do not have the regular Ballistix sticks in, but the ETA is still for today. They said they should ship out later today or tomorrow and the CSR even bumped me up to free 2 day shipping :D. He said that they wouldn't swap it for Tracer because the memory would be shipping soon (and I did buy it directly from them) so they sound pretty confident that it is coming in today.

Well, I just did the online chat with them again and they said that as of 11:45 AM PDT, they do not have the regular Ballistix sticks in, but the ETA is still for today. They said they should ship out later today or tomorrow and the CSR even bumped me up to free 2 day shipping :D. He said that they wouldn't swap it for Tracer because the memory would be shipping soon (and I did buy it directly from them) so they sound pretty confident that it is coming in today.

cool, keep us updated if you get them soon etc. i'll do the same. ebay, here i come :D

They said that they should have been shipped out by today but I haven't heard a single word from them. Looks like I'll be contacting them again on Monday. I was really hoping the sticks would have shipped today so I could get them next week and move on from this mess but it doesn't look like it will be that way :(.

Well I sent mine back to newegg and they are giving me a refund :) Now to find some more memory that will be good or as good.. Or I might just get a ViewSonic VX922 as this memory crap left a sore taste :(

Anyone care to find out.

Against my better judgment, I am giving my new replacement set a chance, since it is the new revision. I'm also running them at 2.8 V since the guy scolded me for not doing so. I can't even put my finger on them for a split second, they run so hot. But I'm following directions. If this set dies (it will be the 4th), I will definitely demand a refund.

The new set did MemTest overnight with no problems, at 2.8 V.