Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Just heard from Newegg today that they no longer carry the 2x1GB Ballistix and are going to give me a full refund for the second set I have had to return. I am happy with this because I paid $300 for the Ballistix last October and last week when I sent them back I ordered a pair of Patriot 2x1GB DDR500 sticks for $145 after rebate just to have something to use in my PC. These Patriot sticks are working well for me. I had to run the Ballistix at 9:10 with my CPU at 10 x 250. But the Patriots are running easily at 1:1.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard from Newegg today that they no longer carry the 2x1GB Ballistix and are going to give me a full refund for the second set I have had to return. I am happy with this because I paid $300 for the Ballistix last October and last week when I sent them back I ordered a pair of Patriot 2x1GB DDR500 sticks for $145 after rebate just to have something to use in my PC. These Patriot sticks are working well for me. I had to run the Ballistix at 9:10 with my CPU at 10 x 250. But the Patriots are running easily at 1:1.

that's good to know. i'm still waiting for my replacements from crucial. i think i'll try the patriot stuff, and just sell the ballistix when i get them back. thanks for the heads up!

My 2nd set has failed.. I've returned them to Newegg and they are offering me a full refund for my original purchase price (Great customer service).. Glad to get out of this mess.. what are people purchasing for replacements? Thinking of a set of Gskill.

The G.Skill sets look nice and are about the same price as OCZ sticks so it's a matter of preference. If you're really trying to save money, there's a rebate on Newegg for the OCZ Platinum 3-3-2-8 set. If this whole thing falls through and I end up getting another brand, I'll probably get that set.

That type of thinking is not honorable at all.

If you aren't experiencing any problems with the set you have now, then there is no reason to RMA them.

Yeah, save the few sticks that are left for the people who need them! :P

i think i'll try the patriot stuff, and just sell the ballistix when i get them back.

Hmm, I never thought of that. That does sound rather appealing...

That type of thinking is not honorable at all.

If you aren't experiencing any problems with the set you have now, then there is no reason to RMA them.

Well, it dont matter if its honerable or not, As some1 else said, after time the problems came back. Went to re-install windows yesterday thinking it may be windows cause full intense gaming & Using serato/R4/Resolume/SOundforge all at the same time without an hitch. Bar BF2 which is caused by shoddy patching on EA's side. Tossers!!!

Anyway, back on subject, I made a nLite version of windows gold edition for my computer and went for a re-install. After a bit of installing windows failed due to a bunch of errors coming up. So i tried my origional windows and i had the same problem as my first set where as its coping the files to the HD for re-install at the start, it has problems copying files. Different files everytime. So it seems my hard work spent on making a perfect windows cd for my comp was wasted due to dodgy memory. Hopefully it will be fine but i doubt it.

As for replacements, im in the UK and they said 15th July, Which kinda goes with the 13th in the US as they normally get shipments first. If these 3rd sets go wrong, Im demanding a full refund which was 260GBP last novemeber.

I think there customer service is awesome and still respect them as a company. Many people have had problems with this product but its only a small percentage of the whole, so people saying they should have fully retracted them is stupid. Yes theres a problem, and they probably dont even know themselves. The point is they've dealt with the problem the way they thought best and it asnt gone all that well. Telling me you never make mistakes??? No one can deny Crucial top rating for CUstomer service and thats hard come by this day and age. At least when you ring them you get a person and not a stupid automated system with a maze of options.

Crucial are a excellent company and make excellent products FACT! Have they made a blunder here MAYBE!!! Im not backing them up, i just relise people/companys make mistakes and the worlds far from perfect. such as if everyone lived like people do in america we would need 4 planet earths, The far east incredibly unstable and ready to explode anytime due to different ideals, And europe, well, thats a joke isnt it. The point is people are quick to punish some1 for a mistake and forget all the good that they've done ;)

Sorry for going on mad tangents, i tend to do that haha :)

I installed the Tracer 2GB Kit about two weeks ago; settings in my sig. No problems/great benchmarks OCCT Torture Test Past/ but not enough time to run Prime 95 - only three hours without incident. They are not hot (do not burn my fingers when I touch them, not even close).

:)

Better keep this thread alive and kicking...

I just got my new 2x 1GB Ballistix after RMAing the old ones.

Specs:

CL1116D.7N

BL12864Z503.16TD1

Anybody got a similar pair? If so, how are they doing?

I think there customer service is awesome and still respect them as a company. Many people have had problems with this product but its only a small percentage of the whole, so people saying they should have fully retracted them is stupid. Yes theres a problem, and they probably dont even know themselves. The point is they've dealt with the problem the way they thought best and it asnt gone all that well. Telling me you never make mistakes???

No one can deny Crucial top rating for CUstomer service and thats hard come by this day and age. At least when you ring them you get a person and not a stupid automated system with a maze of options.

The first post I can find about problems, from date 11-08-2005

Today's date 06-29-2006.

Didn't Crucial have a guy here at the forum at one time? hmm Maybe he forgot to tell anyone at Crucial about the problems... :rolleyes: *does the head in the sand routine*

Crucial are a excellent company and make excellent products FACT! Have they made a blunder here MAYBE!!! Im not backing them up, i just relise people/companys make mistakes and the worlds far from perfect. such as if everyone lived like people do in america we would need 4 planet earths, The far east incredibly unstable and ready to explode anytime due to different ideals, And europe, well, thats a joke isnt it. The point is people are quick to punish some1 for a mistake and forget all the good that they've done ;)

Sorry for going on mad tangents, i tend to do that haha :)

Yes I forget quite easily the Ballistix I had was nice at 286MHz 3.0-4-4-10 (1T) when it didn't last more than 30 days.

Then I get a second pair that last 100 days on a lower speed.

That's my point of view. I am a guinea pig for Crucial. What should I do? Take yet another pair and test it for them for a month or two, then send it back to them?

I have better things to do with my time. If they want me to test anything they can hire me then I can do that work for them.

I don't belive they don't know what the problem is. They haven't correctly handled it that is what I am saying. Sure I can cut them some slack. If they make a announcement saying they messed up, or if they send me a refund or whatever.

Point is, Crucial has lost me as a customer for life. And my recommendations to everyone I meet is not to buy Crucial stuff. That's it.

ah hell with it, i just shot my load on a set of these:

2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR (550) PC-4400 Corsair XMS w/LEDs (TWINX2048-4400PRO)

they're supposed to play well with my mobo (see sig) and will give headroom for max OC. the rebate makes it somewhat reasonable price-wise too. ok, not that reasonable, but what the hell, i had some dough in my paypal burning a hole in my pocket :D

i'll report back how they perform after i get to play with them a little.

it's official, the RMA'd set will go on fleabay when i get them back. phuk crucial, it's been too long waiting for my replacements!

Just received my 2x1GB Corsair XMS PC4000 set now on friday. (TWINX2048-4000PRO)

They seem allright. They do 270MHz in the Orange slots 3.0-4-4-10 (1T) with 8ns async and 6.5ns preamble time, but it's almost impossible to get mine to work above that speed. Even by going to 3.0-5-5-14 (2T) and without Bank Interleave etc.. the last part of stick #2 doesn't make it. (Errors in MemTest #5 above 1970mb with anything more than 270MHz)

Not as good as the Ballistix but if they last for a couple of years atleast that is what matters for me at this point =)

Guest ElAguila

The GSkills are a good replacement. After my replacements died I sold the next set of replacements without even opening them and got the gskill.

Guest Crimson

Newegg has refunded my full price for my 2x1gb Ballistix kit.. as others have stated, I will never buy another Crucial product in my life if at all possible.. and I am a customer that has probably spent in the range of $2500-$3000 with Crucial.. Not much in the grand scheme of their company but they won't get any more from me.