Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I tried put my mums 512 in my comp the other day, and i was having all kinds of problems, i dont trust my memory controller either. I had a dodgy 1 on my 3500 Winchester, If theres one on my opty 175 im going be extreamly pissed. But who else do you go to, Intel haha, Rather stick razer blades in my eyes and pour battery acid in them, Thats after cutting of the tips of my fingers and sticking them in liquid nitrogen and smashing them to pieces!!!

SO thats a no haha

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been several weeks since Ive trolled these boards. I had to check in on this thread because Ive had my Ram since Dec 05 and its OC'd and Ive really put it thru some numbers trying to see what I could get out of it. Ive had not one spit of problems with my JINXED ram or my Expert board. The only thing I have done is provide Active cooling for it, in a decent(cool) computer case with the rated basic timings 3-3-3-8. What Im running is in my sig. I am a freaking happy camper and hope to use this ram for at least another year.

The POST issues seem to pop up less and less the more I run stress tests. Perhaps the memory or the CPU just need to burn in a bit. I have it running @ PC4000 speeds now, 3-3-3-8, 2.66v and it passed 10 hours of MT86+. I guess that's a good sign with the RAM :). I wonder if they will hit 265 like my previous set. I'm thinking about rigging a spare fan to blow at the RAM and PWMIC area, as long as it isn't too loud.

As for the 175, just sell it on eBay then buy another :P. If my 170 turns out to be crap, I may do the same.

I have posted a couple of times in this thread as I have 2GB Ballistix Z503 sticks and unlike most am happy with them as they have been performing very nicely for me. I have posted reference to BIOS settings for Ballistix in this thread that work pretty well for them - anything upto DDR600 plus on 2.6v. Try them out.

On another note I would also recommed the Opty 165- 0617 if you want a new opteron rather than going for a 170. Most people are getting them upto 2.9-3.0 fairly easily.

Yeah, my previous set ran great at 265, 3-3-3-8, until they finally began dying in May. They have potential, but they also die on a lot of people :P. As for the Opteron, those new 165's look very tempting. I like how a couple of retailers that were posted on these forums advertise the steppings, that's a nice touch :).

Hi All

just noticed today 2Gb 4000 Ballistix kits are back up for sale on Crucial UK

http://www.crucial.com/uk/ballistix/store/...T12864Z503&cat=

So maybe they have sorted the problem.Then again?

Also got some Teamgroup 2GB kits based on Micron 5BF chips and at the mo at 250Mhz on 2.5v at 3,3,3,8 but they run just as hot as the Ballistix did.

Smiffy

Hello Guys.

Just found this thread. Trad many pages (in fact been reading for about 1 hours now).

Anyways, to amke long story short,

I purchased some Crucual Ballistix Tracer PC4000 2x1GB kit. It worked great then it worked, and like everybody else, with time i had to clock it down and loosen timing, incerase solvage and eventually it died to the point wheere it would not boot on anything else than 3V, etc, etc, same story like everybody....

I'm in New Zealand and purchased the memory secondhand (BL12864L503, 16TD, 51181) and I just recently RMA'd (kinda strange, i had no original receipt, i dont even kknow whether it was purchased directly, etc), but they granted me RMA and now it's on it's way back to the down under...

Anyways, I'm just wondering, whould I try to use them - I fear they will eventually fail then then again I might or might NOT be granted warranty replacment, not to mention hassle/data corruption/having my gaming PC down for 2 weeks....

Or should I just attempt to sell them and get sometinhg else ? Maybe they just tend to die in nf4 motherboards ? Here in New Zealand high performance memory is ridicolusly expensive compared to cheap value stuff.... (like 3-4 times in some cases)... Maybe crucial fixed those modules yet ?

Who knows if these new ones will last, Crucial told me in a web chat session a little while ago that the new chips (5BF) don't have the dying problem. I've only had mine for about five days so I can't say for certain. They do run on the warm side though. This new set is behaving about the same as my last set. They seem to be stable at 265, 3-3-3-8, 2.66v, and they lasted a few minutes at 275 (two errors in test 5), exactly the same as my previous ones. Perhaps they'll hit 275 with a fan blowing on them :).

Mops if I were you I would sell them right away and buy something else. If you're a strong faith person who have great trust in the company Crucial, well, keep testing every replacement they send you. :)

This thread is up to 68 pages now... so it gotta count for something.

Crucial Uk have them up for sale, WTF!!! THey aint even sent me my replacements which was promised for the 15th, You know there getting an hear full from me today!!! :mad:

As for my 175, I may sell that and get the 170 cause i really have no need for the x11 on it. I only need x9 if these new replacements are going be as good as the last ones i had which ran at [email protected] without errors. Until the slow death came around anyways.

Guest Bulldog

@ I wheeldon

While I'm not defending Crucial ( I can guarantee you that it will take a long time before this memory brand makes it back into my good graces) I noticed that you are annoyed because they are selling this memory type again and you havn't received your replacements yet. Most likely this is not due to any negligence or ill will on their part. Most IT hardware companies have seperate channels for RMA products and new ones. These channels are distinct and it is not the norm that products be taken from the "sales channel" to fulfil a need in the "RMA channel". Contrary to what many people believe when a batch of products is received from the factory it is not like they are then "thrown in one big pile" for "general company use". If you do decide to contact Crucial I would advise that you don't do it with "double barreled blast" of anger. Explain your situation calmly without using any accusatory language and you will probably find them more accomadating.

I know you might read this and think "f*#% all that, I just want some working memory, and I'm sick of this whole situation". At the risk of sounding patronizing try and see the bigger picture and "think with the system" and you'll find the RMA process easier.

I read thru this thread often and while I agree with alot of it, I also see many examples of people on some sort of vengeance crusade. I can only assure you that this is counter-productive.