Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Ok so my sig says I got an intel chip and an Asus board to boot, so why am I here? Well I've been seriously considering making the leap and jumping to the dark side with an AMD opteron set up and a DFI board. (perhaps the Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-DR expert or such).

I seriously want to use my old ram from my previous setup, which is . . .. the Crucial Ballistix line. I thought Ballistix had a lot going for it with it accepting a lot of voltage. I do some minor overclocking and would like to try my hand at an opteron 165 or 170. I need to know what kinds of issues DFI has been having with this line of ram? I would hate to buy "new" ram when what I got should do just fine. . . . please help a frustrated overclocker wannabe.

My first post . . . please don't hurt me. /me holds up his hands and shields his face and crotch.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newegg is awesome when it comes to help, depending on how long it's been since u ordered the item..if its way over a month, dont expect them to refund it, but they will replace it. I love their tech support, they might not be able to do everything u want..but in the end, if u give them time, they'll make you happy before you hang up.

Newegg no longer carries the Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit because of all this bull crap.

They can't replace this crap any more...I think. :confused:

Honestly, my setup is (as my sig says) a pretty well overclocked opty 165 w/ dfi board and ballistix 3200 and it works like a dream. the only caveat i had was i had some crashes early on but i read that with this ram as long as your first two sticks are in yellow slots rather than orange you'll be alright. so i switched 'em and it's all gravy :) P.S. buy your 165 from newegg. I have a 1 GHz per core overclock. lolz

I *think* most people have been having trouble with the 2x1gb kits. I myself had a 2x512 kit of the pc3200 (in fact, still do... just not using it for anything atm) and it overclocked like mad... got over 250 HTT with them at 1:1 and 2.5-3-3-6, 2.9V I believe, and stable. Pretty cool to the touch too... worked well in either yellow or orange for me.

Does your sig mean you have 2x1gb or 2x512mb? Im' a little confused... it's pretty late:)

The only problem I had with mine (3200 512 x2)was that eventually it went bad. I didn't have any compatibility issues really, except early last year when the boards were just released and we no-one knew the right setting to use with Micron stuff. However all information about configurations are relatively mature now

I am running Ballistix Z503 2x1GB kit on my PC and its pretty damn good.! From what I have read most RMA's are because it doesnt like continued volts 2.8 and above. I have been running DDR 540 at 1T - 3,3,3,8 at 2.6v with good speed settings. I have just changed to DDR490 at 1T-2.5,3,2,5 on 180 divider on 2.6v using the tight settings as per URL. I am still playing with it! . Previously at DDR600 1:1 at 1T - 3,4,4,8 on 2.7v when I had my opteron 146. It runs high or low with good settings - very flexible.

Check out the URLs for memory settings that someone who knows better than me kindly posted. When applying toghter settings above DDR500 I found I have to releax Trtw=3 rather than 2 and Trrd =1 instead of 0. I am using strengths 7/3.

Should be able to get you to 280 or more with good sticks and a good memory controller with 2.7v or less.

http://www.hl2online.com/images/ballistix_tightest280+.JPG

These next set of timings are good for 300mhz and above, or good for under 300mhz if you're sticks are somewhat subpar.

http://www.hl2online.com/images/ballistix_tightest300+.JPG

P.S - its in the Orange slots not so good in the yellow!.

The 512 sticks have no problems last I knew, the older 1GB line had serious problems crapping out after only a couple months. The newer stuff doesn't clock as well as the old, but lasts longer.

While the problem sucks, I don't know whether your assumption is true. The Ballistic 1GB PC4000 sticks and 2gb kits are no longer sold by Crucial either. This would suggest it was Crucial that stopped selling them, not NewEgg. This may be because of this problem, or perhaps the 1Gb sticks just weren't selling well enough fo whatever. We don't really know and speculating on the reasons seems pointless.

While the problem sucks, I don't know whether your assumption is true. The Ballistic 1GB PC4000 sticks and 2gb kits are no longer sold by Crucial either. This would suggest it was Crucial that stopped selling them, not NewEgg. This may be because of this problem, or perhaps the 1Gb sticks just weren't selling well enough fo whatever. We don't really know and speculating on the reasons seems pointless.

Crucial is still selling the 1GB Ballistix- 1GB Ballistix