Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the memory going south. Just the very physical layout of a motherboard means that no two slots will ever be the same. Compensation is attempted of course and within normal bounds all is good. Then you run head on into memory that has been worse than even any motherboard problem I have ever heard of and the memory changes its mind and says oh: "ok I am going south; please use me in some other slots". Simplistically that is about the story.

RGone...

Anybody know what has caused this ram not to work properly in the orange slots

if the cpu is over 210fsb?

I can go 260fsb in the yellow, this wasnt a problem before :(

RGone that was depressing lol but expected, thankyou ;)

- further proof

It wouldnt even get past the irq listing as before having tried this 9x260+, but as soon as i slack of alot of the timings to utter crap levels it boots... but i dont know how stable it is yet, these settings are WAY below what i had last week when all this crap started.

Everything is pointing to the memory be a problem

edit : Just thought id mention its now 2 months... :tooth:

Contacted the CrucialGuy and he set me up with the Service Department at Micron. Got my RMA number Monday morning and have the modules boxed-up and ready to go.

This makes the 2nd time these modules have died on me. If they die on me again (using stock settings / voltages) then Crucial will get notification of implementation of lemon law for which I will not accept anything lesser than my money back.

Ace Hi,

Im very interested to know the details of your Convo with Crucial. Good Luck.

My TD1s are going strong at 289 1:1 2T at only 2.64v. God i hope they don't die.

After weeks and weeks of messing with the PC, I finally have a 100% stable DFI machine!

It better stay that way!

sorry if this goes off topic, but please help.

RMA dept from newegg contacted me letting me know that they no more carry the ballistix sticks and i can go for a credit of current market value (200/-) or corsair ( CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail ).

i was thinking of the OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500. i'd pay the difference or haggle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227225

am i making a good choice? please let me know. i know OCZ is good but just need a last confirmation. thanks!!

IF you an haggle the diffrence then the EB is a little tighter timings wise but you really have to push it to see it. Running stock or near it you will not know which is the slots. But I do like my EB alright enough.

RGone...

IF you an haggle the diffrence then the EB is a little tighter timings wise but you really have to push it to see it. Running stock or near it you will not know which is the slots. But I do like my EB alright enough.

RGone...

by EB, you mean the OCZ (OCZ5002048EBPE-K), right? i dont mind the difference, but i'd just haggle to see how it turns out.

EDIT: i'm going for the OCZ mentioned above. let's see what the RMA dept replies.