NF4 - Some Help Getting Up & Running (Or Faster?)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am inputing the settings as shown in post #1 of this thread. My BIOS displays some slight discrepancies:

1) At the step a19. Dram Data Drive Strength= Level 4......I only have the option to set it to level 1, 2, 3, or AUTO. Level 4 is not an option. What should I do? I guess I'll leave it on AUTO for the time being.

2) At the step a20. MAX ASYNCH LATENCY = 7X, my BIOS shows options in nanoseconds, not multipliers. I'm not sure if this is just a typo by RGone, or if my BIOS is different. I have set it to 7.0 nanoseconds for the time being.

3) My BIOS has another setting called DRAM Response Time in between steps a20. MAX ASYNCH LATENCY and step a21. READ PREAMBLE. I'm not sure if this was overlooked, or if it is a new setting introduced by my BIOS version.

I will post back what my BIOS version is shortly (I'm not sure which version it is at the moment, it was given to me preloaded and ready to flash from a bootable CD)

Thanks. :)

What BIOS rev. is this for? I'm currently running 623-2. Some of the options do not correspond, such as the 32 Byte Granularity - mine only allows up to 4 bursts. There were two other dram timings i could not set also because they did not correspond to my bios.

As RGone said a few posts ago, that was written in Feb(I think). THerefor it is very old. Try to OC database for a system that uses your parts or something close if you want some settings to use. Or the newer BIOSes generally work well on auto except for needing some DRAM voltae added on occassion.

Jeez....right after posting my power went out and has been out for the last three hours.

Anyway, concerning my BIOS version, like I said it was preloaded for me on a bootable CD. It's supposed to be the latest and greatest version for my board. When I flashed it it said FLASH510; so I'm guessing it may have been a 5/10/05 version? How exactly can I check what version I have? I read this guide here on how to check but my screen does not look like that:

http://www.dfi-street-cpuz.com/biosversion.htm

However, when I boot up it says BIOS Version 5.1.37 at the top of the screen; is that the MB version? Or is that my Video Card BIOS?

As soon as I get Windows Installed I can run CPU-Z and check.

Since my BIOS is supossedly the latest and greatest for my board maybe I should just leave everything on Optimized Defaults for now since this guide was written back in February. I guess at least until I can find a system in the OC Database that is similar to mine.

Thanks for the replies. :) Any more suggestions will be welcome as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried your guide...I couldn't manage to get any pc2100 ram

I had some pc 2700 laying about

It still didn't post for me at all

I'll list my specs in my sig when I come back home, I think i used the Alpha or Beta 702 - x Bios

• 2 months later...

Hmm. Used the guide and it was stable, but my system was pretty much 51c even idle. Restored bios defaults and now runs much, much cooler about 12 degress cooler with no CnQ and almost 20 degrees cooler with CnQ on. Any reason why? Could it be the extra voltage to the v core, etc causing the heat?

• 2 months later...

I cant get above 212 FSB with this thing without getting BSOD...

FSB 212

Htt x4

Cpu vid 110%

Mem. voltage 2.75

And with settings on page 1

It feels faster to when I choose "optimized" because it sets some of the memory timings lower