NF4 - Some Help Getting Up & Running (Or Faster?)

Alright to say what I see lets go with this. For them what has not seen a board> the NF4 Ultra-D and the SLI-DR what has Orange and Yellow slots.

1. Those that cannot get but one stick going and it in slot #2 which is the first Orange slot in the from edge of board and where a single stick should be.

2. If you find it difficult to even get going at all and have an old stick PC2100 or PC2700 > put in Orange slot @2 and after clear CMOS crank the board and enter bios and load optimized defaults.

3. Alright now you have made the bios and loaded optimized and rebooted into bios.

a. Make sure Erratta94 is disabled.

b. Turn off cpu throttling.

c. Set Pci pay load to 256mb and not default 4096 or to what your memory on video card actually is.

d. I usually set hard drive delay to 2 seconds in order to give them time to spin up before the bios tries to read them. Especially good for some PATA drives but I use on all.

e. Think that covers most of the odd things outside the Genie Bios expcept I turn off any Lan, Firewire, Serial Port and any other thing I am not using except I never ever turn off any SATA drive as long as I use ANY sata product.

4. Now to the Genie Bios and these numbers are going to be conservative because I know some of you are scared and have a hard time undestanding that if you plan to run fast you must add volts and I have run considerable more but now have settled well on to these and I really do not care to debate the issue as these work and I have spent considerable energy to get this all to work on a broad cross reference of setups to get UP and GOING.

a. Genie Bios first page from the top down and remember to turn off all at bottom you are not using.

a1. LTD/FSB = X4.0

a2. CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio Manual Set to what Your Default Multiplier Is.

a3. PCI EX Frequency = 105 ATI video cards Nvidia 100 or 101.

a4. Cpu Startup VID = 1.425 Volts.

a5. CPU VID 1.425 Volts.

a6. CPU VID Special Control = 110% and this is around 1.52Volts total and is far and way fine as I have run it with OEM HSF and never gotten over 46C full tilt with 3000+ Winnie. Note we are trying to throw out all variables and get running and you then tune up or down on your own. Maybe I tell you too much but this is 72 hours worth of work.

a7. LTD voltage = 1.4 Volts.

a8. Chipset Voltage = 1.8 Volts.

a9. Dram Voltage = 2.9 Volts.

5. Genie Bios first entry at top> DRAM CONFIGURATION

a1. 200 Dram Frequency 1:1

a2. Enable CPC

a3. 2.5

a4. 04

a5. 07

a6. 04

a7. 07

a8. 14

a9. 05

a10. 03

a11. 02

a12. 05

a13. 3120

a14. 05

a15. Bank Interleave= DISABLED You want mediocre memory to run don't you? Then disable it and see how much better the thing will clock and do business right now.

a16. DQS Skew Control = INCREASE :nod:

a17. DQS Skew Value = 0 (zero)

a18. Dram Drive Strength= Level 6

a19. Dram Data Drive Strength= Level 4

a20. MAX ASYNCH LATENCY = 7X

a21. READ PREAMBLE= 5X

a22. IDLE CYLCE= 256 cycles

a23. DYNAMIC Counter= Disabled

a24. R/W Que Bypass = 16x

a25. ByPass Max 7X

a26. 32 Byte Granularity = Disable 8 Bursts.

Now in most cases this will take the boards that hate two sticks and problematic with TCCD and some other classes of memory and make them starters and runners and moved me from starting with a starter stick and hardly stable at 225 to 240FSB to now prime95 stable and memtest86 Rev 1.51, test #8 stable for hours @275x9 with my 3000+ Winchester. For many of you it might be worth a try for sure and for some just to see some bigger numbers.

Key for the present time is to turn off bank interleave so the memory volts can drop and to set MaxAsysnch Latency to 7X and to set Read Preamble to 5x. I have tried this on a couple of weaker TCCD memories and with Crucial Ballistix pC3200 and all the settings will just about work for any marginal or troublesome memory.

Try it you might be pleasantly surprised at the benches that finish and the stability of your system.

RGone...

EDIT: Hold the phone! When trying to get windoors loaded unhook the dang USB stuffs that is not needed to get up and going. Unhook the dang printer, thumb/pen drives, card readers, cameras and all other such paraphenalia that has zero to do with trying to install and crank a system up.

EDIT: More hold the phone. The very uniqueness of the settings is that if you "either" swap CPC back to AUTO or DISABLE you have settings that are allowing me to prime 260FSB now for 2hrs 28 mins and 47secs. Never were intended for HARDCORE but get going and working and putering CORE. You WILL have to lower FSB for 4 sticks > get used to IT!!! And you will need 2T or CPC >DISABLE or AUTO so board can swap to 2T by itself. Enough said I am through.

RGone...Again...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W_E_4, thanks man was late my nite or early my day not sure been at it so long. I changed it.

Another note for some that may play into all of this and been watching Winchester steppings as they move toward the year 05. They clocks seem to be falling fast.

One other thing, any of you guys know what memory module is on the Ocz 4200EL? Some things got my curiosity up bout that stuff.

RGone...

Thanks for the settings, RGone.

I've been priming at 250x10 and 2.5-3-3-7@250 2.7V for about 3 hours without too much difficulty with 2x512MB OCZ Plat Rev 2, and I don't really know what I'm doing.

--Lee