NF4 - Some Help Getting Up & Running (Or Faster?)

Like it says above this likely my last in this series of posts unless I get really ambitous. I just wanted to prove to myself, the board could not tell me NO for an answer. ST is where it is at. ST=Self Testing.

Pasted:

A classic example of defaults and using everyone else's timings and NOT doing your own

testing is show below. The absolute strong point of these DFI boards is their adjustability and

voltage tweaks without resorting to the soldering iron. There are no free lunches but for some

of you maybe you will begin to see the value of doing your own testing.

There are ONLY two changes listed below. Two only changes, but look at the difference.

Before two changes. Memtest86+ R1.51 showed 2897Mbs.

Everest Memory Read was 7161.

3DMark2k1 was.....................23,376.

With no Memtest86+ R1.51 errors anywhere and Prime stable out past one hour.

Change "only" Trcd to 03 and get errors in TEST #8 of memtest. Not many but some.

BUT make the two changes shown below and see what you have tuned to?

Memtest86+ R1.51 showed 2986Mbs.

Everest Memory Read was 8148.

3DMark2k1 was.....................23,617.

And now with two changes all errors are gone and look at the prime length of time and

I shut it down to make the capture to transfer the picture.

You make a change you may have to make the second to offset errors where possible and

the tweaking is where the power and performance is to be gained. These things are awesome

adjustable boards.

BIOS 02/17/05

FSB= 280

LTD/FSB Ratio= x 3.0

16up-16down

Cpu/Fsb Freq Ratio= x 9.0

PCi-Ex Freq= 105mhz

Cool & Quiet= Disable

Cpu Vid Startup= 1.475V

Cpu Vid Control= 1.375V

Cpu Vid "special"= 123%

LDT Voltage= 1.4V

Chipset Voltage= 1.8V

Dram Voltage Control= 2.90V

Dram Configuration Page:

Dram Freq= 200 1:1

CPC= Enable

Tcl= 2.5

Trcd= 04 CHANGE TO 03.

Tras= 08

Trp= 04

Trc= 08 CHANGE TO 09.

Trfc= 12

Trrd= 05

Twr= 03

Twtr= 02

Trwt= 03

Tref= 3120

Twcl= 01

Dram Bank Interleave= Enabled

DQS Skew Control= DECREASE

DQS Skew Value = 96

Dram Drive Strength= Level 6

Dram Data Drive Strength= Level 4

Max Asynch Latency= 7.0ns

Read Preamble= 5.0ns

Idle Cycle Limit= 256 cycles

Dynamic Counter= Disable

R/W Queue ByPass= 16x

ByPass Max= 07x

32 Byte Granularity= Disable 8 Bursts

Memtest86+ V1.51 test #5= NO errors. Finalized result after the two changes.

Memtest86+ V1.51 test #8= NO errors. Finalized result after the two changes.

Prime95 4hours 30mins 1 secs to the good.

Again, 2x512 PdP/Patriot 400-533XBL set as above.

RGone...

PrimE pic:

[bIMG]http://home.jam.rr.com/rgonestuff/Files/a280_Prime2ndsettings.jpg[/bIMG]

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rgone, why Dram Bank Interleave= Enabled ?? You said it is worst performance. :confused:
why Dram Bank Interleave= Enabled ?? You said it is worst performance.

When I say it was performance wise worse? I might have said it was harder to get running with it "on" for some but I think I did not say worse performance.

RGone...

a15. Bank Interleave= DISABLED You want mediocre memory to run don't you? Then disable it and see how much better the thing will clock and do business right now.

Well, then the word is mediocre. :cool:

Well, then the word is mediocre. :cool:

Again we are dealing in word symantecs. A lot of users could not run TCCD at ALL not performance wise but at ALL with Dram Bank Interleave Enabled. So the word of caution I gave for jsp was to turn it off.

However you see mine is running with it on quite well and when memory is good enough to allow Dram Bank Interleave on then I run it on. It has a boost but not huge in all cases. Just set it both ways and see.

What you do not realize is that I spent over 24 hours finding and testing that last set of tweaks I showed and over that for the first post in this thread. Time every user should expend on his 'own' setup to get the most and is one of the reasons I title this as likely my last post in the series. And as a side note, I did more testing last night and now am running 285FSB stable as well for me. But it comes a time when spoon feeding is over and time to stand on own two feet. Or if not able they still sell them Dells and they do ok too.

Nothing I write anyway is etched in stone as law. I had trouble with memory myself at first and came to find out that the original memory I had was defective although I had run it in single channel mode. However moving that memory to dual channel showed it as flawed and I replaced it and then began to just do a few setups to confirm the board to be very capable with tuning for even the average user if they did the homework/tuneup.

So nothing I say is 100% for there are too too many variables in parts and pieces but rather is an exhibition in what might be possible with a little effort. That is all and no more than that.

RGone... :cool:

Thx RGone for your advices, my ADATA runs ok at 270 2.5-3-3-9 interleave=on (3.2v)

And My 3000+ winnie runs great at 300*9 (with the first divider below 1:1 ie FSB300 RAM270) (2700Ghz i love it). And eventually i love this board !

guys need a little help i just finished installing wixp all went well from using

Some Help Getting Up & Running (Or Faster?)") faq

only prob i got is the cpu fan runs a little fast bit loud little like its working too hard

should i turn cpu throttling on?

also i never updated bios, all works fine should i leave bios flash

many thanx

amd 4000

2x corsair xms 3700

2x xfx geforce 6800 gt`s

dfi nf4 sli/dr

audigly2

Are there dividers for having a higher memspeed than fsb?

Thought if my cpu doesn't want to go as high as the memory will.

Is it safe to run these Speed Premium sticksk, without having added heat-spreaders, at say ~3.5 V?