Personal Protection

Fueler

That in itself is part of the problem. 50% or more of the attacks aren't by pitbulls but my pitbull looking breeds and so the news media just classifies all of them as pitbulls. If I remember correctly pitbulls aren't even listed in the top 10 most aggressive towards humans. They do however have a natural tendency to be aggressive towards other dogs due to dominance natures, but are very well known in the dog community as being one of the most loyal and trusted breed for humans.

Well I don't want to get into a . contest about dogs....1) because I like you .....and 2) because the pic of your boxer is just to cute :lol:

Edit: You said a Glock would not have been your first choice....I am curious why and what would have been your first choice.

"Cap" the Glock 22 is a 40 caliber (15 shot semi auto) the 22 is just the model number.....I guess they just number things strange in Austria :huh:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my fault just got off work the .22 was a good choice. i just dont like the size of the glock. i was thinking in my head to that glock doesnt make a .22 cal here in use man i need to go to bed.

Edited by capthowdy575

my fault just got off work the .22 was a good choice. i just dont like the size of the glock. i was thinking in my head to that glock doesnt make a .22 cal here in use man i need to go to bed.

I would agree with you about the size .....at least with the first ones I looked at. The .45's would only hold 7 or up to 10 in a clip but the handle felt too big in my hand....even the 7 clip size felt too bulky. I also wanted something with a little longer barrel for at least marginally better accuracy. The handle on the model 22 (40 caliber) was much thinner than the other glocks I tried and still would hold 15 rounds. The barrel is slightly longer but when you set it next to a .45 glock the difference in size is marginal and the model 22 fit my hand much better. B:)

Edit:Something else I found out about the Glocks is that some are available with a backpreassure release in the form of a couple of slots cut on top of the gun near the end of the barrel. The idea was that the preassure release in that vicinity would help stop the gun from kicking up and give it more of a rearward kick. I only had to ask one question to nix that idea. Since the most likely senerio is that I would be firiing it at night what the hell good is that lack of a kick up if I'm blinded by the flash.....the store owner ordered me the other model and canceled his order for the other guns he had placed.

just wondering if the barrel on the glock is threaded in the inside. :D

AHHH...well I don't know....good question though I guess....although I probably wouldn't care how loud it was if I had to shoot somebody in my house.

Well I don't want to get into a . contest about dogs....1) because I like you .....and 2) because the pic of your boxer is just to cute :lol:

Edit: You said a Glock would not have been your first choice....I am curious why and what would have been your first choice.

"Cap" the Glock 22 is a 40 caliber (15 shot semi auto) the 22 is just the model number.....I guess they just number things strange in Austria :huh:

Same here, lets agree to disagree. ;)

The reason I said it wouldn't have been my first choice is because even though that is a fine handgun I personally believe that one of the best handguns for reliability and overall use is the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Plus it is just a smooth gun to shoot.

Now if you want serious stopping power then look at this one Smith & Wesson 500 Revolver .50 Caliber :D I would have one if I could afford it.

a 40 would be alot better for protection since a .22 isn't not that big of a bullet the the person you are trying to protect your self from could still get up or just keep moving if shoot. 9mm would be to much for home protection since a 9mm travels about 1200 fps it can pass though the human body with ease. the 40 moves around 1000 fps so it moves slower causing more knock down power since its a bigger bullet. a 45 would do nice but its moves at around 800fps so this bullet wont easily go through a human but they kick harder and tear more meat up then the other three bullets.

the glock .22 are nice hand guns imo the sig and beretta are my two fav.

Wow, you know nothing about ballistics.

I personally wouldn't have chosen a Glock either. My choice for that type of handgun is a Springfield XD.

My "all-purpose" sidearm is a Kimber Pro Carry II. :wub:

Fueler, what your dealer was showing you is called "porting". It's not particularly useful for an everyday, self-defense weapon. It's more for high powered target guns, but like anything else, some people see the pro's using it and want it themselvevs. You're right in thinking that at night it'll bring the flash up into your field of vision more. Plus, unless you're shooting the best/cleanest ammo available, you'll likely end up spraying residue all over yourself at the range. Porting just isn't usually worth the hassle imo.

Take the time to do some "soul searching" and figure out if you can actually pull the trigger in a bad situation. The last thing you want (after actually having to shoot someone) is to draw a weapon and be unable to follow through when your family is in danger.

You've also referred to having bought the guns for you and your son. That's great, but don't forget about the rest of the family. You don't need to buy guns for everyone, but take them all to the range, teach them to handle the guns and shoot. Most gun accidents occur with people who are uninformed of what they are handling. Remove the mystery and everyone's safety goes up. Plus, what if your wife is home alone and something bad happens? She should know how to handle the weapon and shoot.

If nothing else, the guns will give you and your son/family some quality time together having fun at the range. Remember the 4 rules and be safe!

It's a Glock Model 22... they're .40 caliber - more than enough to kill someone. If the .40S&W is good enough for the FBI, special forces, and countless other government agencies... it's good enough for me. That's a good choice for a weapon. I have a Sig P226 in .40 and it's an excellent round that doesn't cost much (I pick up 165gr target rounds at Wal-Mart for $26 per 100). Shot from a medium-frame semi-auto like yours and mine, the round is plenty powerful and recoil is low, so you can get a more precise shot pattern in less time than an untrained shooter with a large caliber handgun (i.e. your average robber). Practice, practice, practice, practice, and when/if the time comes to use it, you'll come out on top. It's also a great stress reliever. Some people work on cars, build computers, go to the gym.... I go to the shooting range.

You've also referred to having bought the guns for you and your son. That's great, but don't forget about the rest of the family

Well for me.....my son and I are the family since I got devorced several years ago (my X and I are still good friends, it's hard to suddenly hate somebody you loved for more than 20 years and are still raising a son with....) :)

Hey Nerm ....did you see the part where I said I'm over half a century old.....that .50 would probably break my arm :lol: And "LO" I kind of like all those stress relievers....although I should start spending a lot more time in the gym B:)

Lo, that Sig P226 is a nice gun. My brother-in-law has one and it seems to fire very smoothly.

EDIT: lol, Fueler so since you are so old you wouldn't want to fire my replica 1860 .44 Army Colt either eh? :P

Hard to knock a SIG... I've been shooting a Smith and Wesson M&P .40, the new semi-auto. version of the M&P. As far as service pistols go, it's rock solid. If you're looking at a Glock, consider the S&W, it's like a Glock, but better (and American-made). ;)

Same here, lets agree to disagree. ;)

The reason I said it wouldn't have been my first choice is because even though that is a fine handgun I personally believe that one of the best handguns for reliability and overall use is the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Plus it is just a smooth gun to shoot.

Now if you want serious stopping power then look at this one Smith & Wesson 500 Revolver .50 Caliber :D I would have one if I could afford it.

I have a .38 S&W for the house. A revolver to me means no jamming and enough bullets to do what I need to do. I listen to guys about the big mags and etc. If you blow off that many rounds your in some serious trouble.

With anything safety is important. Issue with home defense keeping it locked up and away from kids makes it impossible to get to when you need it. Best place is in the nighstand near the bed but again kids make it impossible to do that safely. Sure you can lock it up but they'll find a way to open it.

Starting to think a taser may be what I need for the home. No kids but its something I can keep in the bedroom and in a pretty quick grab. Most confrontations you should have the same success popping the taser as you would a hand gun.

Again, I'm just talking home defense.