Personal Protection

Fueler

Last week I did something that I never thought I would ever do.....I purchased handguns. It's not that I have anything against guns I just never felt the need to own one until now. (I will be 55 in August of this year in case you are wondering how long that took).

I live in a very nice upscale area, I know all of my neighbors and I have never at any time felt threatened in this area. But things have changed.....now it seems that no place is sacred anymore. In the last year there has been two shootings in peoples bedrooms by a gunman that lives or resides nowhere near my area. Five months ago a new Walgreens opened within a mile of my house and ever since the second day it was opened there has been a Sheriff parked in the parking lot 24/7......turns out Walgreens is footing the bill for this because they were robbed twice within the first 18 hours that they opened.

Enough is enough.....I signed both myself and my son (who will be 18 in several months) up for lessons on the handling and use of a hand gun...and for home personal safety. I have also joined a gun club and plan to be not only capable but proficient with a hand gun.

I have already purchased the guns.....two Glock 22, one for myself and one for my son.

I truly hope that I never have to use it but I sure as hell will if forced into the situation.

If anybody has any personal experience with this weapon I would sure like to hear for you and your personal opinion of the gun.

Thanks

Fueler :angry2:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those would not have been my first choice but still good guns for what you want them for. It is good to see your doing it right and taking the right training/precautions, so many forget how important this is. I am avid weapon collector and am constantly seeing idiots that have no business with a steak knife let alone a .357 S&W. lol

I personally wouldn't have bought a Glock, they're not of the best build quality and machinework anymore. (kind of running off the brand name now, of course they make some good firearms but their build quality has declined within the past 5 years)

Its a sad thing that you bought guns for safety (I mean buy them because you feel the need to to feel safe).

I guess I worded that wrong, what I meant was that its sad that in your position you felt the need to buy guns to feel safe.

Thats not an implication that they wont make you feel safe/provide safety but Its sad that your area is gaining more crime.

Anyways I'm glad you decided to own firearms, they are great for self defense but they really offer a nice hobby as well.

(just don't get too carried away)

In my opinion going to a firearms course is a good thing (I haven't been to one but I've grown up around guns and been around them my whole life), but to further your safety I suggest going out to your local firing range at least once a month.

Like I said it will not only allow you to have some fun (yes, you can fun with a weapon if its used in a mature manner) but it will allow you to keep your skills up to par.

Hopefully you never have to use your gun on a criminal but it is always nice to know you have the ability to save your own life.

;)

i got shot with a .22 once when i was a kid, i was walking to the park and some guy was gettin robbed in the middle of the street, guy went to shoot him and it hit the pavement and went into the side of my left calf, then at the hospital, they found the bullet traveled up into my thigh :|

.22 wont kill someone unless the bullet travels all over

protection = disables offender. not kills them so i think that wasnt a bad

Those would not have been my first choice but still good guns for what you want them for. It is good to see your doing it right and taking the right training/precautions, so many forget how important this is. I am avid weapon collector and am constantly seeing idiots that have no business with a steak knife let alone a .357 S&W. lol

I whole heartedly agree with you....I could have an F16 in the driveway but that doesn't mean I know how to fly it. :lol:

And King, unfortunately it only takes one or two A**'s to ruin a good thing :( Maybe I could shoot one of them and then the problem will be only half as bad.....ahhh just kidding...or I guess it could be wishfull thinking :glare:

.22 wont kill someone unless the bullet travels all over
Actually hitmen/assassins commonly use .22 weapons because they are quieter and when the bullet enters your head it doesn't come out the other side it bounces around inside your skull making swiss cheese out of your brain... :lol:

Not really relevant hough since were talking .40s here...

I could have an F16 in the driveway but that doesn't mean I know how to fly it.
AGREED

Owning something does not implicate proficiency in its usage.

Edited by Andrewr05

n my opinion going to a firearms course is a good thing (I haven't been to one but I've grown up around guns and been around them my whole life), but to further your safety I suggest going out to your local firing range at least once a month.

Like I said it will not only allow you to have some fun (yes, you can fun with a weapon if its used in a mature manner) but it will allow you to keep your skills up to par.

The gun club that I joined has an 80 acre firing range and a membership of over 400 families. My son and I....and my brother and his sons (who have also decided to follow this path) plan on spending many safe and entertaining hours at the gun club. :)

BTW I also have dogs. The guys over at DIY-Street know all about my Schutzhund dogs. Any dog that will bark is a good deterrent and the bigger the better. :D

Amen to that! My house is pretty well protected because not only do I collect weapons I also have a Boxer and Boxer/AmStaff mix. On second thought if we had an intruder I doubt any of my guns would be necessary. lol

Amen to that! My house is pretty well protected because not only do I collect weapons I also have a Boxer and Boxer/AmStaff mix. On second thought if we had an intruder I doubt any of my guns would be necessary. lol

God I love boxers we had four when I was a kid (They have bad gas though :lol: ) I would love to have a dog again but I'm just out of town too much and I just don't have the heart to leave them at a kennel all the time.

I am in the process however of wiring the entire outside of my house with motion detectors.....if somebody gets within twenty feet it's going to light up like Fort Knox. Now all I need is a way to rope them ....and drag em into the house so I can shoot em.....OK I'm kidding about that part B:)