Personal Protection

Fueler

I agree. I carry a weapon for the unconceivably small chance that it may be useful in a situation where my life, or more importantly, the lives of my loved ones, are on the line. Not to mention I'd hate to be stuck in a church/public building unarmed with some crazy mo-fo opening fire with all the weapons he could pick up with his last paycheck before he decided to check out...

The delusion of this statement makes me laugh, that's all I can say. Unless you've been in some sort of service that requires firing accurately under extreme pressure, chances are you won't be the lone hero who kills the raving gunman that every fellow American of mine seems to envision. Guns as a LAST line of defense I can understand, though shooting strictly for a fatality is nothing short of barbaric. But I'll leave my ethics and morals out of this. Perhaps if people learned non-lethal manners of self defense (and I don't mean tasers or OC), there'd be less bloodshed, but delusions formed from watching movies or reading about acts of heroism seem to run rampant.

Now, let me grab my asbestos suit.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet, I'll definately keep the Knoxx near the top of my short list when the time comes to add some upgrades. Other than a heatshield and 6-shell side saddle I installed, she's bone-stock. Damn I love shotguns...

I wouldn't recommend anything else. When I was buying my shotgun, I handled a number of collapsing pistol grip stocks (that was one of my main requirements) and the Knoxx just felt the best. I was debating between a Mossberg and a Remington, and Mossberg offered a collapsing pistol grip stock from the factory that just felt...wrong. It had sharp edges (well not knife sharp, but ya know) and just didn't feel nice. Remington offers the Knoxx on their tactical models (which is what I actually ended up buying, a Rem 870 Tac), and it's nice and ergonomic.

The delusion of this statement makes me laugh, that's all I can say. Unless you've been in some sort of service that requires firing accurately under extreme pressure, chances are you won't be the lone hero who kills the raving gunman that every fellow American of mine seems to envision. Guns as a LAST line of defense I can understand, though shooting strictly for a fatality is nothing short of barbaric. But I'll leave my ethics and morals out of this. Perhaps if people learned non-lethal manners of self defense (and I don't mean tasers or OC), there'd be less bloodshed, but delusions formed from watching movies or reading about acts of heroism seem to run rampant.
KB, I don't know a single person who carrys that has "delusions of heroism". I certainly don't. I just want to be left alone. If someone is attacking me, that person has already chosen to force me to skip to my last line of defense, and for me, that is a firearm. Oh and if you honestly think that "non-lethal methods of self-defense" (I'm assuming you mean martial arts of some kind), can stand up to a strung out, ARMED rapist/murder, they I'd say you have some delusions of your own. There's a reason most martial arts teach their students to retreat from an armed opponent.

If someone is trying to hurt me, they're already being barbaric, and the only response on my part that can help me is one that is barbaric as well. Sharing a cup of tea isn't an option anymore.

Edited by 94Camaro

KB, I don't know a single person who carrys that has "delusions of heroism". I certainly don't. I just want to be left alone. If someone is attacking me, that person has already chosen to force me to skip to my last line of defense, and for me, that is a firearm. Oh and if you honestly think that "non-lethal methods of self-defense" (I'm assuming you mean martial arts of some kind), can stand up to a strung out, ARMED rapist/murder, they I'd say you have some delusions of your own. There's a reason most martial arts teach their students to retreat from an armed opponent.

If someone is trying to hurt me, they're already being barbaric, and the only response on my part that can help me is one that is barbaric as well. Sharing a cup of tea isn't an option anymore.

Thank you!..... That is exactly my reasoning and I didin't come to it lightly....like I said before I have resisted this decision for close to half a century.....so I didn't just suddenly decide to go off half cock and become a barbarian. I won't respond to my next statement any furthure but.....if you ask me a barbarian is somebody who walks into a public area and either just goes off with as much of an arsenal as he can carry or worse turns himself into a chicken s***** walking bomb.

And Americans wonder why we're seen as barbaric by other countries... using a gun for intimidation is one thing, but using a .45 as the first line of defense? I guess being humane is going out of style.

Would you prefer we open up with an initial bravo from the BB gun........

If you pull that trigger it better to be to kill someone. The defend your castle defense doesn't stand up anymore. Your life needs to be in jeopardy.

Any cops here? I'm act 235 certified and we went over cases that sound like slam dunks but the homeowner was held up for trial.

One guy heard a noise. Went down stairs and shot the intruder. "Sir, was there a phone in your bedroom?" "Yes" "Why didn't you call the police and lock yourself into the room?"

Craziest shiete I ever heard but it happened. The situation was flipped that his life wasn't in danger that he actually provoked the physical part of the intrusion.

Agreed Fueler. I spent a lot of time figuring out were my limits are and what I'm capable of. Some people find it hard to believe there are actually people in this world who know themselves and want they want in life. Not everyone is a teenager trying to find themselves or a soccer mom having a midlife crisis.

Here's a little something for the people who believe the police will always be there to protect them. A perfect, but sad, example of why personal safety is "personal." The supreme court has ruled time and again that police are under no obligation to protect any single person, only the "society as a whole."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080502/ap_on_...s/student_death

Lot of good 911 did that poor girl.

Edited by 94Camaro

being well trained with your weapon is very important.

i consistently score in the high 90's on our local police range combat course.

it is part of the requirement for my concealed weapons permit.

this means i will not miss when i decide to send them to hell.

you may be surprised to know that law enforcement is trained to kill, not to wound.

you are actually supposed to hit each target with two rounds (double tap).

it would be much more barbaric to just gut shoot them and leave them to bleed out.

i can assure you, the wound channel from a .45 ACP hollow point is not easily repaired.

i have carried a gun for 35 years and have never yet used it in self defense.

i am however quite prepared to do so if needed.

you will be in much more danger from my wife...

she will not hesitate to send somebody to hell if threatened, and god forbid you would threaten one of her children.

my wifes pocketbook gun...

ParaOrdanance Warthog

post-18473-1210761653_thumb.jpg

One guy heard a noise. Went down stairs and shot the intruder. "Sir, was there a phone in your bedroom?" "Yes" "Why didn't you call the police and lock yourself into the room?"

Craziest shiete I ever heard but it happened. The situation was flipped that his life wasn't in danger that he actually provoked the physical part of the intrusion.

Where in the hell did this take place at? Remindme never to live there. Sounds like a silly northeastern thing, but knowing my luck nowadays it happened in Raleigh or Charlotte.

But I'll leave my ethics and morals out of this. Perhaps if people learned non-lethal manners of self defense (and I don't mean tasers or OC), there'd be less bloodshed, but delusions formed from watching movies or reading about acts of heroism seem to run rampant.

Non-lethal (and I'm assuming unarmed) methods of defense will only carry you so far. Just because you chose not to carry a weapon certainly will not keep another person from doing so. And also just because you're carrying a weapon doesn't mean you have to use it. And as far as morals go, I cannot begrudge you your beliefs. All I can say is that just because you chose to live by your own beliefs does not mean you cannot be harmed or killed as a result of someone else's (or lack thereof).