Custom Paint JOBS !

I called about 8 places today and they said "The paint would peal right off, it just wont stick." or "We dont waste our time painting computer cases"

I cant stand some of the attitudes in nyc :\

You did mention that you're planning to pay them, right? :lol:

A lot of car places will do the work if you do all the prep work.

So you'd need to:

* derivet the case (drill the rivets out to separate all the panels/cages etc)

* use an orbital sander or sanding block to sand down the panels, wire brush on stuff like the drive cages etc...

if it's bare metal, they can paint it just like a car, they might even be able to bake a powder coat for you, you just need to get rid of the horrible paint on the case first basically... also, prepping the plastic parts, with bondo (filler) as necessary is a good idea, a light sanding with a high grit helps a lot

if you have a local body/paint shop, take down a few sketches, mock-ups, renderings to show what kind of designs you have in mind, then split it up to numbered panels and pieces etc, if they can see a well-thought out design that is clearly explained so anyone could follow it without any doubts, it is much more likely that you would be taken seriously

if you do some of the leg-work, you'll be able to get them to do the paint work :)

Did I miss the finish of that case you were doing? :unsure:

and hardnrg thanks for the play by play on how to do it !

your awesome!

apparently I am... lol, I don't mind helping out modders...

Did I miss the finish of that case you were doing? :unsure:

nope... it still ain't done... I have to strip it down again to cut holes for some 3/4" OD tubing for a rear external mount of a Thermochill PA120.3, then clearcoat the remaining panels and front bits, then mount a couple pieces of Perspex, the CCFLs, run wiring for the CCFLs and fans, make/buy a fan controller...

1. sand down the case.

2. Clean the case with alcohol

3. Get some flexible primer in a spray can. Layer down some primer.

4. sand primer if needed.

5. Lay down basecoats... order paint from any paint shop that will put paint into spray cans for you.

6. Spray cataylized clear coat (MAKE SURE YOURE IN A WELL VENTED AND CLEAN ENVIRONMENT)

During the painting process its important that you have a GOOD 2+ stage mask, ventilation, NO WIND, NO DUST, NO RAIN.

Specially for the clear coat.

7. wet/color Sand down clear coat with 1500-2000grit

8. Rubbing compound the clear coat.

9. Polish the clear coat (claybar, or liquid polish)

Should take 8-12hours of continuous work if you do it within your home, and take your time.

nope... it still ain't done... I have to strip it down again to cut holes for some 3/4" OD tubing for a rear external mount of a Thermochill PA120.3, then clearcoat the remaining panels and front bits, then mount a couple pieces of Perspex, the CCFLs, run wiring for the CCFLs and fans, make/buy a fan controller...
Whats it going on 3 years now?

I remember you talking about this when I joined... :P

I guess I shouldn't talk, I've stated that a couple projects would happen and never ended up doing them...

Anyone that does airbrush would probably be able to help out if, like already noted, you prep the case first. For the most part, someone who does airbrush will be more artistic than someone who paints a car. There are exceptions, but even the best car graphics are most likely done by someone with an airbrush later on and not the original painter.

So, someone like Rehit mentioned will probably do the best job, but I think you could also find someone there that does airbrush. It is a big city, at least is was when I was there. ;)