hey all

DOOMZIE

hi guys and gals,

im on a quest to build a leet gaming pc and found your site through the razer page on your review on their sound card.(which was very helpful thx)

im from australia and good help is hard to find here so ive been searching for an informative site so i dont get jibbed like i did with my first pc i got built which is just causing me headaches and frustraition :angry2: . I want to build this one myself and i reckon that the best way to do so for free is on sites like these and listening tp other ppls experiences plus your reviews are excellent :thumbs-up: .

what i want is an : Asus m2 crosshair,amd athlon 64x2 6000*,crucial ballistix tracer LED 2x1gig 8500*,Zalman 600w PSU*,leadtek 8800 ultra w/c gpu,maxtor100 gig hdd*,LG dvd combo*,Barracuda AC1 sound card.

the items with a (*) i already have and the others im still researching and deciding on which is why i hope this site can help me a little more with my decisions. :)

ne ways take it easy yall, DOOMZIE.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to occ.

By the way, I would suggest posting build questions in this forum. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showforum=85

You will get allot more responses there about your build. You did right by posting here first.

usually, posts in the OCC nOObs forum are bombarded with welcomes of various types, warnings about lammas, and invitations to join our folding team, I guess everyone is slacking. :glare: oh wait its saturday, you posted friday night. nevermind, that explains it. anyways, welcome to occ, and don't forget to posst that build question in the other forum.

Welcome to OCC!

If you already have the processor, it's too late, but you really should have got a Core2Duo Intel system, as they just kick the hell out of AMD at the moment :)

:withstupid: I strongly suggest that you either return (if you can) or sell that AMD CPU and get a Core2.

8800 Ultras are just horribly overpriced, slightly overclocked 8800 GTXs. ;)

As schwag said, you're likely to get more responses if you post in the general hardware area. If you have a specific budget, you'll want to be sure to mention that. Based on the hardware you picked, I presume that you're a gamer, but you should still let us know what else you plan to use it for.

Edited by Bleeble

Yeah, if by "kick the hell out of" you mean a couple percent for a lot more money, yeah.

/doesn't like blatant fanboyism.

A couple of percent more? Alright, I'll set up a comparison for you:

X2 6000+ = 169,99$

E6550 = 175,99$

performance --> http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

for stock speeds, the X2 6000+ is MARGINALLY faster, come overclocking (afaik, you can't clock the 6000+ to 3.6-3.8GHz?), and the 6000+ has no chance!

'nuf said

P.S.: I'm not a fanboy, I buy what's fastest for my money!

A couple of percent more?

Yes. Overclocking both of them nets you two computers that are roughly equal in performance (yes, the C2D system will be faster, but not noticeably).

/owns a C2D system also, still thinks AMD is better when people are on a budget

OP: I'd go with the regular 8800 GTX and overclock it, the Ultra is pretty much a waste of money at this point.

Yes. Overclocking both of them nets you two computers that are roughly equal in performance (yes, the C2D system will be faster, but not noticeably).

That depends on what you mean by "noticeable." Will you notice a few extra FPS while playing BioShock? Doubtful. Will you notice the huge difference in the amount of time it takes to encode an HD mpeg2 video? Definitely.

Let's use the processors king posted... At stock speeds, AMD is faster while encoding in Premier Pro (link). Note that we're comparing a 3GHz AMD to a 2.3GHz Intel. That's a 30% increase in clock speed that yields a 9% increase in performance (4:24 vs. 4:48). Consider the fact that the E6550 can easily be OCed to 3GHz. That puts it at the same level as the X6800. With the same clock speed, the Intel will perform 21% better than the AMD (3:39 vs. 4:24). Now consider that the E6550 has a hell of a lot more headroom to OC. Even if it "only" gets to 3.5GHz, it stomps the 6000+ into the ground. Since I know you're going to whine if I don't mention it, let's OC the 6000+ too. Well, it clearly doesn't OC anywhere near as well as the E6550. I checked a bunch of reviews and the best OC I saw was 3.3GHz. That's a measly 10%. What about Core2 processors? 100% overclocks with the E4300 are quite common with air cooling.

So what was that about fanboyism? :rolleyes: