Sign in to follow this  
DOOMZIE

hey all

So what was that about fanboyism? :rolleyes:

Cost effectiveness isn't fanboyism no matter how you try to spin it.

Did you miss the part where I own a C2D system? :)

doesn't matter what you own, the cost effectiveness of a C2D system is still WAAAAYYYYY above that of an AMD system right now! Jeez, this argument is like the one where the quote in your sig comes from! Has coolcat jacked your account? :lol:

Two things for this "debate", and one for each side...

The Pro-AMD side: At stock clocks, the top AMD and Intel chips are pretty evenly matched, and the AMD chip is cheaper. Plus, it uses slower (cheaper) ram, and generally cheaper boards too. A rough tie in performance with a lower price tag is a win in my book. At stock.

The problem is that this is OverClockersClub.com. And when you look at overclocking, the tie is quickly broken. The top AMD chip is lucky to overclock by any significant margin, while the Intel (as we have seen) overclocks like a champ.

At stock, I think AMD is generally the smarter move. If you're overclocking at all, you'd be crazy not to get the Intel.

The Pro-AMD side: I get really bored with the "look at this video encoding benchmark!" argument. What percentage of users here would you suspect encode video frequently enough for this to matter? I've personally ripped and encoded over 500GB (compressed) of TV episodes for my HTPC over the last few months, and I still don't really care much about these comparisons. It's a great benchmark and I won't argue the accuracy of the data, but it's impact on the debate is often highly over-stated. I'm much more interested in things that most people will actually use.

Two things for this "debate", and one for each side...

The Pro-AMD side: At stock clocks, the top AMD and Intel chips are pretty evenly matched, and the AMD chip is cheaper. Plus, it uses slower (cheaper) ram, and generally cheaper boards too. A rough tie in performance with a lower price tag is a win in my book. At stock.

The problem is that this is OverClockersClub.com. And when you look at overclocking, the tie is quickly broken. The top AMD chip is lucky to overclock by any significant margin, while the Intel (as we have seen) overclocks like a champ.

At stock, I think AMD is generally the smarter move. If you're overclocking at all, you'd be crazy not to get the Intel.

The Pro-AMD side: I get really bored with the "look at this video encoding benchmark!" argument. What percentage of users here would you suspect encode video frequently enough for this to matter? I've personally ripped and encoded over 500GB (compressed) of TV episodes for my HTPC over the last few months, and I still don't really care much about these comparisons. It's a great benchmark and I won't argue the accuracy of the data, but it's impact on the debate is often highly over-stated. I'm much more interested in things that most people will actually use.

Agreed. The only problem I see is that when someone wants to upgrade the first thing people scream is "omg get a C2D!" If I even bring up they they could drop in a dual core AMD and OC it I usually get told "why go AMD now?"

If you're starting from scratch and going to OC it makes sense to go Intel. If you've already got the stuff to just drop in an X2 then it makes sense to go AMD.

Agreed?

If you're starting from scratch and going to OC it makes sense to go Intel. If you've already got the stuff to just drop in an X2 then it makes sense to go AMD.

Agreed?

Yeah, I'd basically agree there. Ultimately, it depends on what they've got, what they want, what they're doing, etc, etc, etc. Each situation is different.

But I think your general point is that you're tired of seeing every query instantly stamped with the "Intel or you're dumb" response. I'd have to agree there. AMD offers alternatives to specific users, and shouldn't be overlooked.

But I think your general point is that you're tired of seeing every query instantly stamped with the "Intel or you're dumb" response. I'd have to agree there. AMD offers alternatives to specific users, and shouldn't be overlooked.

Exactly. :)

AMD isn't overlooked, but as you said Verran, this is not the StockClockersClub! Ok, some people who won't OC will do fine with an AMD, but those who will OC, the Core 2 Duo just gives them the better value, also because overclocking is fun, and the higher you take your OC, the more fun it gets. That's in my opinion of course, here's my main point: If someone comes to OCC, and tells us "I wanna build a l33t rig for 1000$, what should I buy?", who's gonna grab the AMD variant, when the Intels can be OCed really easily, and thereby have a much better performance than the AMD's? I haven't seen people tell other "if you don't buy intel, you're dumb", cause for myself, my last rig was an A64, as they were a lot better than the P4's. It's about the bang for your buck, and at the overclockersclub, I think chips which have a similar price tag, but OC a lot more, will be recommended more than others. :)

For me, I think the pet peeve comes in when people won't take the time to explain their conclusions. A lot of time it seems like this:

Hey, do you have any sugg--

"Intel. Intel's the best."

But what if I--

"Intel."

Cuz I was kinda thinkin--

"Intel."

Just like anything else, you can earn yourself a LOT of credibility by simply addressing the other side of the point.

"Hey, I think Intel's the best for most of us because it OC's way better. But if you're going to be sticking to stock clocks, AMD can probably save you a bit of coin."

I did say this is OCC, and it is :P, but there are still a lot of people who don't OC around here. Furthermore, there are a LOT of people who don't just want you to make a decision for them. They want to be given the info they need to make a decision themselves.

I did say this is OCC, and it is :P, but there are still a lot of people who don't OC around here. Furthermore, there are a LOT of people who don't just want you to make a decision for them. They want to be given the info they need to make a decision themselves.

A lot of people do not make clear in there post what they are looking for either, they just post I want upgrade suggestions. Upgrade means different things to different people. When someone post wanting suggestions for an upgrade here I take it as they want to overclock the you know what out of the current best cpu for today thats why I suggest intel.

A lot of people do not make clear in there post what they are looking for either, they just post I want upgrade suggestions. Upgrade means different things to different people. When someone post wanting suggestions for an upgrade here I take it as they want to overclock the you know what out of the current best cpu for today thats why I suggest intel.

Are you sure you're not just assuming this because that's what you do?

I've found the actual data to reflect the opposite of your assumption. Generally, the people who want to OC the pants off their new hardware are the people that don't need help buying it. For the most part, my experience is that the people who need help are the people who generally don't plan to OC, or say something like "I might OC a little someday."

Anyways, I think assuming anything when giving this sort of advice is counter-productive. Why not just explain your conclusions and try to help the newbies understand? Rather than saying "Intel's the best.", why not say "I think Intel's the best, and here's why..."?

Are you sure you're not just assuming this because that's what you do?

I've found the actual data to reflect the opposite of your assumption. Generally, the people who want to OC the pants off their new hardware are the people that don't need help buying it. For the most part, my experience is that the people who need help are the people who generally don't plan to OC, or say something like "I might OC a little someday."

Anyways, I think assuming anything when giving this sort of advice is counter-productive. Why not just explain your conclusions and try to help the newbies understand? Rather than saying "Intel's the best.", why not say "I think Intel's the best, and here's why..."?

I agree and like I said upgrade means different thing to different people.

Edit: Maybe we need a section for the stock clockers. :P

Edited by road-runner