I think I have waited long enough

gotdamojo06

I liked the Armor, however it is a little bit more expensive also, the Aguila has the side fan and the Armor does not, just means I would have to make one, but thats too much work for me. :lol:

Take a look at the pictures here and here. ;)

It can't be too hard to find one of those online.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I looked your post over a little closer, and you've got a problem. The way you've got it laid out right now has a total of $903, which leaves you $97 to buy cooler, case, and hard drive(s). And even that is at the maximum end of your budget. So needless to say, something's got to give. Here's what I'd do:

Intel E6850 3.0Ghz (whenever it fully launches) ($266)

Gigabyte GA-P35-DSR3 Motherboard ($130)

G.Skill HZ 4-4-4-12 2x1GB ($130)

HIS x1950Pro 512MB IceQ3 PCIe ($180 - 30MIR)

(^^ cheaper after rebate and has better cooler on it)

Tuniq Tower 120 Cooler ($60)

OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU ($100 - 10MIR)

Total: $866 - $40MIR = $826

That leaves $174 for disks and case. You mentioned doing multiple disks, and I think a good setup for something like that would be 2xWD 160GB SATA in RAID-0 + Samsung 500GB SATA, but you don't have the money for that now. You could probably just pick up the two 160's and add the 500 later, or vice versa. Either way, that'd only leave you with enough money to get something like the CM Centurion 5 for a case.

Verran, I'm going to be following your suggestion quite closely, I have the Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition Case and the Samsung 500GB SATA HDD.

That will be the first purchase of mine, until I can get everything else pretty much set as to thats what I'm going to purchase.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this PSU? XION SUPERNOVA 600W

Also when it comes to the Cache on the HDD, is there a noticeable difference between 8Mb and 16Mb?

Verran, I'm going to be following your suggestion quite closely, I have the Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition Case and the Samsung 500GB SATA HDD.

That will be the first purchase of mine, until I can get everything else pretty much set as to thats what I'm going to purchase.

Mmm...Hmm...I thought I was the first one to suggest the Armor. <_<

haha you were chavalcito, what I ment was that I was going to follow his suggestions about the innards closely but I was straying off and getting those two parts that he hadn't put in the list, he had the HDD down at the bottom.

I was swayed into getting the case...it looks bad . and if it performs like everyone has said that it will, I will be happy :)

I ended up taking the HDD out of the cart, so the case is on its way...

haha you were chavalcito, what I ment was that I was going to follow his suggestions about the innards closely but I was straying off and getting those two parts that he hadn't put in the list, he had the HDD down at the bottom.

I was swayed into getting the case...it looks bad . and if it performs like everyone has said that it will, I will be happy :)

I ended up taking the HDD out of the cart, so the case is on its way...

Mine performs well. I did not get the one with the side fan. I also stayed away from the dual side fan because it is made specifically for the AMD Quad-FX. You can fit a water setup in there very well. You can put a dual 120 rad in the front and pur the HDDs in the top cage by the PSU instead. I haven't gone that way, but the website shows how it is setup. I don't think it would be tough to set it up with non-Tt components the same way. On the back it has places to punch out holes for tubing for a res or external cooling like the Nautilus. There is plenty of air flow, room to work with, and there is a lot of room behind the mobo tray for wires. Some people are using dremels to cut holes in the mobo tray just off the side of the mobo to run the cables back through. I'm not ready for that yet either, but I have everything tied down really nicely with cable ties and the adhesive cable tie holder doo-hickies. If you want to see the ultimate in cable management for that case look at BTSnarfy's.

Also when it comes to the Cache on the HDD, is there a noticeable difference between 8Mb and 16Mb?

NO! You do NOT want to do that! Xion is like a noname piece of crap! THIS (Mushkin 580W) is what you want in that price range!

As for HDDs, yes, 16MB will add performance, it really depends on the price difference though.

NO! You do NOT want to do that! Xion is like a noname piece of crap! THIS (Mushkin 580W) is what you want in that price range!

As for HDDs, yes, 16MB will add performance, it really depends on the price difference though.

I swear I've had this exact same discussion a hundred times this week...

Anyway, I both agree and disagree with king here. Yes, do not get the Xion. No, do not get the Mushkin. Why? Well, it's in Tier 4 here (Mushkin HP). Tier 2 is your best bet for good, reasonably priced PSUs (like the OCZ GameXStream: here here, or Seasonic S12: here here).

Personally I would shave off a few bucks anywhere you can and go with a PCP&C like Verran said in his post. A good power supply is a must IMO.

Tier 2 is your best bet for good, reasonably priced PSUs (like the OCZ GameXStream: here here

I'm a big fan of the GameXStreams, so I completely agree, BUT...

If you're looking at those, don't go to the egg. ZZF actually has the 600W for $17.40 cheaper after shipping and the 700W for $21.22 cheaper after shipping.

ZZF seems to be VERY competitive on PSUs for some reason. :)