I think I have waited long enough

gotdamojo06

Nope, the Mushkin Enhanced PSUs are in Tier T, so in between Two and Three. ;)

Well, according to Mushkin's site, the PSU you linked to is an "HP-580AP Enhanced Power Supply." So how can the same PSU exist in two different tiers? :ph34r:

EDIT: Evidently all of their PSUs are "Enhanced" :rolleyes:

Edited by Bleeble

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you guys for the help with the PSUs. I totally agree about the need for a good PSU because your rig is only as good as the crappiest part, I agree...thats why for this rig, I'm going to go all out and get a good one, right now I have a piece of crap case that I got from a computer show for $50, it works but it has horrible airflow and isn't that sturdy. The PSU I have is some off brand AG 480W ATX PSU, again crap. I believe thats why I'm unable to reach a higher OC. Plus my RAM is crap and the VGA is crap...

I will be sticking with the Mobo, RAM, VGA, and PSU listed in verran's post at the top. I will be waiting until at least the 22nd to purchase these parts just because the prices could possibly go down (unless someone thinks otherwise) and just the get all those parts when I purchase the CPU which I will be getting the E6850

Well it has been about 2 years since Socket 939 Standard has been released and I know that I got one of the first chips from socket 939...don't remember exactly when but I know it was near the beginning...

Weird... whatever, accoring to people who own them they're supposed to be pretty good, check out the OCC review of the 650W version Uber did a while ago.

The 650 is an "XP-650." I don't really know how good Mushkin's PSUs are. I was just going by the list. All I know is that they buy them and stick their name on. *shrug*

I will be sticking with the Mobo, RAM, VGA, and PSU listed in verran's post at the top. I will be waiting until at least the 22nd to purchase these parts just because the prices could possibly go down (unless someone thinks otherwise) and just the get all those parts when I purchase the CPU which I will be getting the E6850

What did you decide for a heatsink? Hard drives? Optical drives? What about any miscellaneous parts like fans, cables, etc.?

This is what I have so far...

NEED TO PURCHASE

HDD - Undecided - No Know Price

CPU - E6850 - No Know Price

VGA - HIS Radeon X1950PRO 512MB - $180.99

RAM - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) - $129.99

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R - $129.99

PSU - OCZ GameXStream 600W - $99.99

CPU Cooling - Tuniq Tower 120 - $59.99

Optical Drives - I have 2 DVD-RW drives (using one until I buy 2 SATA DVD-RW drives)

Misc. Cards - I have sound card, don't need a new one

Cables - All Cables I need should come with everything

PURCHASED

Case - Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition - $164.99

TOTAL (Pre Tax + S&H)

Already Spent - $164.99

Need to Spend - $600.95

Grand Total - $765.94

Anything that you guys feel should be changed and or should be added, please let me know, that is what I have so far and as of the 22nd (or as soon as the E6850 comes out) I will be placing orders...I will probably add a few fans in somewhere for the Tuniq Tower as well as for the case so that I don't have to use the ones that I already have and to get more powerful/quieter fans for the case ;)

Thanks for all the great help guys and I hope that this build works out this time and that the rig is stable at a high OC (hope to hit over 3.5GHz) and stay at a great low temp, as well as perform very well :)

As was mentioned multiple times before, get the Ultra-120 Extreme. Petra's Tech has it for $55 and a good fan is only $6 more.

Also, get the WD hard drive I linked to earlier for the reasons that I also linked to earlier. Actually, any WD drive ending in AAKS is a good choice.

Alright I will check that stuff out later when I wake up, its now time for some sleep...thanks for the help Bleeble and everyone else

CPU Cooler - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme - $54.99

HDD - WD Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB - $74.99

With the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, what size fan can fit on it? Is there enough room on the opposite side for a secondary fan? Does anyone have one?

Alright guys, its the 22nd at 1 A.M. in MI and there is no E6850, don't know if New Egg has updated their site or not...

The Q6600 has dropped in price down to $299.99

Alright guys, I have everything in my shopping cart, I decided to go with the Q6600 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB cache...

Before I send the information, I just want to know if everything looks good...

CPU

VGA

HDD

MOBO

PSU

HS

The case has already been purchased...I have all the fans that I need for now, I will get new/different ones later...

Let me know if changing anything should/needs to be done.

Once again thanks for all the help guys... :)

I think you will have a lot better results with the C2D instead of the quad core as far as overclocking and as stated in many threads 4 cores are not really needed unless you are planning for the future.The quad (providing you even get a good chip) is not going to overclock as high as the C2D G0 stepping (E6x50) and you will have to cool 4 cores with the quad and your going air cooling I would stay with the C2D myself. Mine run hot enough with 2 cores I would hate to think I had to try to cool 2 extra cores especially on air. If you are just going to run stock speeds then you ok...

Do you think that the E66600,E6420, or the E6400 would do me better?

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about not getting the Quad core however it was not much more than the E6600, like 77 bucks so I figured I could fork that out :)

I think the E6600 is almost as good as the E6850 if you can find a chip that you know will OC and from what I have been reading a lot of these new ones do not thats why I suggested the 6x50 I know there G0 stepping. Some of the the 6400 series OC well also, the extra 2 Mb of cache with the 6420 is better in my opinion. If I were ordering right now which I just did a few days ago, I would order the 6850 if it were me. I would also get the DQ6 MB instead of the DS3 the DQ6 has 12 phase power and better cooling and a lot more options in the bios and higher voltage setting *if* they are like the 965 series are DQ6 vs DS3.

Edited by road-runner

I think the E6600 is almost as good as the E6850 if you can find a chip that you know will OC and from what I have been reading a lot of these new ones do not thats why I suggested the 6x50 I know there G0 stepping. Some of the the 6400 series OC well also, the extra 2 Mb of cache with the 6420 is better in my opinion. If I were ordering right now which I just did a few days ago, I would order the 6850 if it were me. I would also get the DQ6 MB instead of the DS3 the DQ6 has 12 phase power and better cooling and a lot more options in the bios and higher voltage setting *if* they are like the 965 series are DQ6 vs DS3.

As of today, isn't the 6850 the same price as the 6600?