What's with high school students these days?

What is it with just about every highschool student thinking that they can get a GED or other highschool diploma equivalent, and still be as successful in life as if they stopped whining about how they screwed up in highschool and just get the credits in for a diploma?

Here on OCC we've seen several cases like this, and I was one of them. However, you guys helped to drill it into my skull that a GED won't get me anywhere in life except a blue collar job with little future. Hell, it may as well be called a Guaranteed Employment Dilemma.

So what's with all this laziness? Just last week a senior friend of mine told me that he was dropping out of highschool, DURING THE LAST SEMESTER, and going into "adult education" (read: GED). Bigred's wife, a former teacher, was on AIM at that point in time, and I asked her about it. She said that it's only good if he wants to flip burgers the rest of his life. Heck, I know that Red won't even hire anyone with a GED or no diploma.

WHAT'S WITH THIS!?

/rant

... I really should make a blog.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm butttt whats happining is alot of seniors have no other choice unless they want to go another year. And most of them have to go to a community college anyways so its not a big deal. I'm 16 and im getting my GED beucase of grades (i would be 19 when i graduate and forget that) I can start college next year and then go on to a universty. It is a good option if done right but what happins is most of the people who get there GED could care less about schooling.

mmm butttt whats happining is alot of seniors have no other choice unless they want to go another year. And most of them have to go to a community college anyways so its not a big deal. I'm 16 and im getting my GED beucase of grades (i would be 19 when i graduate and forget that) I can start college next year and then go on to a universty. It is a good option if done right but what happins is most of the people who get there GED could care less about schooling.

Because an extra year of highschool isn't worth a lifetime of more money, yea.

And yes Scott... I know :lol:.

Maybe they're happy with where they're at?

Ok probably not, but seriously, its not like you have to have a diploma to go far... Join the service, they'll pay for your school. Go to community college, transfer to a university, its the degree, not the school that matters to a certain extent. And, someone has to pick up your garbage and make you burgers and bag your groceries don't they, just think, them messing up makes it all that much more easier for you to go far.

And get a blog, or we could make a "KB's Rants" section of the forum... :P

Ok I hate to break it to you but there are two differnt groups of drop-outs. Group one is the "screw high school 2kool4skool" folks. While the other is people who are bored *bleep*less and would rather get on with the education. If you have the motivation and get a college degree, and get good grades that will out shadow a GED. If an employer will not hirer someone who has a college degree because they didn't get a "real" high school diploma isn't worth working for.

Also not everyone wants to get a "great" job, and not everyone who doesn't graduate will be scrubbing bathrooms for the rest of there life. As for graduating high school what was the nationwide percent of kids who could not read??? Shows how great "graduating" is.

I'm doing the IB Diploma (International Baccalureate) because I thought the German Abitur was a stinking pile of dung. I hear from my freidns that they are so bored and therefore don't do .. That is just plain stupid, cause if you don't do anything you end up with a crappy diploma and therefore possibly don't get the job you might have wanted.

@ hndgns4hrts, I see your point that school might be boring, but without a proper high school diploma you won't get into the Universities/Colleges that will get you further.

Often it's not what you know, but whom you know that can get you places in life ;)

School/education is a means to an end, but opportunites won't come looking for you... you've got to be 'pro active' and get out and chase them down :D

Additionally, ask anyone currently in the work force... whether a few dollars more is better than actually enjoying the work you do ;)

Edited by tazwegion

Ok I hate to break it to you but there are two differnt groups of drop-outs. Group one is the "screw high school 2kool4skool" folks. While the other is people who are bored *bleep*less and would rather get on with the education. If you have the motivation and get a college degree, and get good grades that will out shadow a GED. If an employer will not hirer someone who has a college degree because they didn't get a "real" high school diploma isn't worth working for.

Also not everyone wants to get a "great" job, and not everyone who doesn't graduate will be scrubbing bathrooms for the rest of there life. As for graduating high school what was the nationwide percent of kids who could not read??? Shows how great "graduating" is.

you're arguing symantecs at that point.

either way you're just not willing to make the sacrifice and put forth the effort.

and they wonder why I refuse to hire them to even sweep the floors without a HS diploma. I'd rather hire the 1 legged man who finished the marathon in 3 days than the super star athlete who just said "screw it" and walked away.

High School life is fun for me, I'm in my last few weeks of Senior year (6 weeks :D.) I got pretty much all "A's" and "B's" through school. I'm also going to a community college since I still haven't picked a major. Plus I'm not a super genius and didn't score high on the SAT (got a 20 on ACT.) I know a few people planning to drop out of High School, which I think is pretty dumb. One of my co-worker is a sophomore and wants to dropout and work forever at my job. Which is pretty much crappy, you will get pushed on with more responsibility and they will never give you a raise. No overtime pay :P. I doubt he would get a much better job than this without a diploma.

Yea as hndgns4hrts pointed out not many student can read. In the State of Florida we have an easy test compared to other state testes. Yet 60% of the students fail it. Which I think is sad. I wasn't the brightest student and yet I passed each test the first time. My only strong subject is History and I kind of starting to like Economics.

Gotta go to school, finish my response later on in the day when I can get myself on a computer.