It's Modding Time Again

is that so you can stain the wood?

Yeah...to stain and clear the wood, polish and clear the aluminum frame and some other misc. things I need to do to finish it up B:)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the front is the 1/4 plexi and the two sides are the lexan I am not sure they might both be though. Hey are you going to do anything about the adhesive to hold the sides on? I might be mistaken but I swear I can see it. Is that how you are going to leave it? Looks like its only visible on the four corners. Not sure just something I noticed.

looks like double-sided tape to me... like a temporary test-fit solution for holding the side panel in place... i'm sure Fueler has a more elegant solution in that crazy head of his :D

Think the front is the 1/4 plexi and the two sides are the lexan I am not sure they might both be though. Hey are you going to do anything about the adhesive to hold the sides on? I might be mistaken but I swear I can see it. Is that how you are going to leave it? Looks like its only visible on the four corners. Not sure just something I noticed.

Yes there is a couple of pieces of double sided tape holding the side covers on.....no it will not be there when it's finished :lol: the front panel and both sidepanels will be held on magnetically B:)

In my job I'm constantly meeting new people and learning new things.....just this last week I learned that there are still dry counties in MS but that everybody in those dry counties knows where the closest liquor store is, that when you get driving directions from somebody in MS "drive a little bit" does not mean several blocks but about five to ten miles, that in MS taking four lefts in a row does not bring you back to where you started but is in fact a straight line across the state border to AL where the liquor store happens to be and finally I learned that in the little town I was at in MS if you want to find the local sheriff you need to look for his cruiser parked behind his girl friends house.....his wife doesn't know he's there but everybody else does. :blink:

And I thought I had seen it all :lol:

Back to modding....today I began addressing the "doublesided tape" before I started the disassembly of the rig.

The pictures here are not pretty but they will give you an idea of how the panels will be attached (or at least how I hope they will be attached)

The first thing I will do after pulling the rig apart is epoxy the magnets into the four main aluminum tubes at each corner of the PC case frame (two magnets per tube...one at the top and one at the bottom of each tube) Something like this: (this is not one of the actual tubes)

Folding-Rig_76.jpg

I made four small thin steel plates that will be permanently attached to the back side of the front panel....they will look a lot better after they have been painted.

Folding-Rig_75.jpg

For the side panels I chucked up a piece of 3/8" steel bar stock and wacked out eight "T" shaped plugs that will press fit through 1/4" holes milled into each corner of the side panels. I had to use a mill and milling bit because a 1/4" drill bit (even mounted in a drill press) was just too inaccurate....there is just too much play in the spindle and I couldn't drill the same size hole twice. Using the mill I was able to make eight holes all at exactly .255 inch. I made the outside diameter of the plugs .256 inch for a .001 inch press fit (I was afraid to try for a tighter fit because it may crack the corner of the Lexan panel.

Folding-Rig_71.jpg

Folding-Rig_70.jpg

Folding-Rig_72.jpg

Here they are pressed into the panel.

Folding-Rig_74.jpg

Folding-Rig_73.jpg

The magnets mounted in the two front aluminum case tubes will do double duty.....holding both the front bezel and side panel in place.

Folding-Rig_77.jpg

Time to tear this thing down B:)

Using the mill I was able to make eight holes all at exactly .255 inch. I made the outside diameter of the plugs .256 inch for a .001 inch press fit (I was afraid to try for a tighter fit because it may crack the corner of the Lexan panel.

that kind of precision together with the innovative custom fabrication are what i am really enjoying about this project...

i wish i didn't have pieces of my how-the-hell-long-is-it-going-to-take-Chieftec case all over my room so i could egg you on a bit without fear of some form of backlash lol

keep up the good work sir B:)

I'm assuming you won't have any "handles" on the front/sides, so how do you plan to grip and remove the panels once they're attached? Are you going to be able to use the vent holes to pinch and pull them?

I'm sure you've got a plan for this, I'm just curious what it is :)

BTW, it's looking great. I too am excited to see the stain.