3rd Bad Hd In A Row

lost

so right i'm not really happy with seagate. i've ordered this HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148140 3 times, and already RMAed two of them (will RMA the other one Monday) i'm lost. guys help me out, i never had a SADA drive. are they louder then the IDEs? even compared to the raptor, the seagates r LOUD!. u know the sharmp mmm sound the raptor makes when it reads the data? the seagate is like that but 24/7. any1 have the drive? is it really quiet? do i need some program to make it run quiet.

or should i just go back to WD.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 250gb version of that drive, it's been fine to me, very quiet and runs cool. Give it one more chance. they're good drives.

I havent used the drive, but I've seen tons of threads around the net saying this drive is much louder then their raptors. It turns out their are two drive motors used in these drives, both have the extremely loud reads, but only one of them has the extremly loud idle. but this is all just what I've read..

that many bad drives of the same make and model right in a row.... no. the odds of that actually being the case are so slim I'd never bet it was the case.

I would however bet the problem is the person installing them. it's got to be an installation error. or even an error in the way the drives are being handled.

Wow I sell alot of those that exact model to be exact never had an issue, what is happening? Not detecting or clicking????

no.. it detects and no clicking. but its just REALLLLLY loud. the noise it makes, i can hear it from the other end of my room

I have the 250gb version of that drive, it's been fine to me, very quiet and runs cool. Give it one more chance. they're good drives.

lol... give seagate a 4th try? hmm

I havent used the drive, but I've seen tons of threads around the net saying this drive is much louder then their raptors. It turns out their are two drive motors used in these drives, both have the extremely loud reads, but only one of them has the extremly loud idle. but this is all just what I've read..

really? finally! at least now i know i'm not crazy! would u have links to these sites?

I have never heard my seagates over the fans in my case. Heck i cant even hear my raptor.

either u have bad hearing, or an amazing case

that many bad drives of the same make and model right in a row.... no. the odds of that actually being the case are so slim I'd never bet it was the case.

I would however bet the problem is the person installing them. it's got to be an installation error. or even an error in the way the drives are being handled.

here are the steps i take

1) unpack HD

2) place HD in a flat surface (usually on top of the box or sideways in the case, i stopped installing them in the bays after the first one was "screaming" at me)

3) connect power cable, and connect sata cable (and if its in the case, close the case door)

4) unplug IDE HDs, power up computer and place windows CD into dvd-drive

5) die from loud annoying high pitch sound

can u tell me what i'm doing wrong? even with just the power cable connected, and the computer on, the noise is annoying. other sites i found people complaining about the noise

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...f=2&t=23144

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t24362.html

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32226

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=14507

well i guess i wont give seagate another try. back to WD. man i really wanted to try the Perpendicular Recording, seems faster then regular HDs

another review i found http://www.silentpcreview.com/article283-page2.html

"According to our contact at Seagate, none of the current Seagate drives support AAM in any way, shape or form."

Edited by lost

What can I tell you? I've never had a Seagate fail on me yet. I still have a 10GB in my Linux router that works to this day. My 80GB 7200.7's are still in action and my new 320GB 7200.10 S-ATA's are excellent. I wouldn't touch another drive manufacturer. ;) You should listen to the sounds that the 7200.10's make, you can barely hear them at all.

I'd say you have a shady power supply that keeps killing your hard drives.

What can I tell you? I've never had a Seagate fail on me yet. I still have a 10GB in my Linux router that works to this day. My 80GB 7200.7's are still in action and my new 320GB 7200.10 S-ATA's are excellent. I wouldn't touch another drive manufacturer. ;) You should listen to the sounds that the 7200.10's make, you can barely hear them at all.

I'd say you have a shady power supply that keeps killing your hard drives.

u didnt read my post did u?

i read your post.

my seagte 300gb was DOA. i got a replacement and it's fine. they then sent me a second replacement in error (320gb this time) but i made an error by forgetting about it and accidentally putting it in my machine...

i would imagine that there is something fundamentally wrong with the pc rather than the drives. as red says, it's a bit strange that they would ALL be borked, but not impossible.

any other spare drives to try?

as for acoustics - well, my 2 seagates (300 + 320) are nigh-on silent. they are both brand new (well, one or two months tops) and are on pretty much 24/7 with occasional restarts. along with a 120gb western digital and a 160gb maxtor all in the same case, the only drive you can hear which is still barely audible is the western digital.

(side note: most hard drive companies will accept an RMA on a drive that is being overly noisy - but only if it's much noisier than when purchased. i did this with my WD drive - no questions asked)

the clicking would make me want to question the data cable being plugged into them or perhaps the power supply.

I hate to sound rude and brash here lost, but it seems to me as if you're fighting a losing battle here. Except you, no-one else is having problems with their Seagates. It has to be a problem with the way you handle the drive, these companies aren't going to sell or RMA three bad drives in a row. Sure, they send out the ocassional dud that's DOA, but not that many.

RMA the drive once more and TRY to be careful with it. Despite the metal casing, there are fragile internals.Worth trying a different cable and PSU as well, if you have a spare PSU to try.

u didnt read my post did u?

I did read what you posted, but you are obviously not reading what others are posting. Your situation is not based on bad drives, it is based on something killing your drives. You could buy a WDC a day from now and come back crying that it died a month later because of a faulty hardware component that affected it.

We can only give you advice. If you choose to ignore it, so be it.