Ati's X1900 To Launch Jan 2006

romeo55

Yea, Nvidia has never ever fallen behind ATi in performance!  Geforce 4s were faster than the R300 right?  And don't forget the FX series!  They stomped all over the 9800 Pro and XT, just slaughtered them!  :rolleyes:

605353[/snapback]

i hope your kidding about the 9800 part... oh you are :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Raven65

Personally with all the problems that I've had with ATI. They could keep em. I'll stick to Nvidia until 3dfx makes a comeback. (yes I know Nivdia bought them out)

I haven't had any bad experiences with ATI that would indefinetely make me change to nVidia, sometimes I have an issue with their software and I don't like the Catalyst drivers very much, other than that I'm happy with ATI. I always use the Omega drivers anyway. I'm not really a fanboy, but I do like how ATI offers the AIW cards with the tv tuner and everything into one card, if nVidia offered that I'd have to look into those too.

At any rate, I've had more problems with nVidia based cards, an old GeForceMX that was in an HP in '99 was very dodgey and a few years later a GeForce4 Ti4600 fan stopped working and the chipset fried.

However, that was quite some time ago, I'd be willing and ready to try nVidia again if they could offer something like ATI does with the AIW cards.

24 pipe X1800XTPE's are coming very quickly.  also the R580 that the X1900 series cards are based on was actually done before the the R520 was shipping out the doors (debated if ATI should hav put it out first)

604627[/snapback]

and for how many months have you been telling people of a 24 pipe x1800xtpe?

sorry, but seeing as both R520 and R580 are going to be 16 pipe cards, i dont see any 24 pipe cards coming out of either anytime soon, i mean, if a 24 pipe x1800xtpe was a reality, it would have been out some time ago to combat the 7800gtx 512's.......some will say they were waiting for various reasons.....i say BS, i say if there ever was/is a 24 pipe x1800xtpe that it would be in such short supply and be so prohibitively expensive, that it would not affect the market whatsoever

if you think about it, it really makes no sense at all to spend time and $$ developing and marketing a 24 pipe x1800xtpe when R580 is so close at hand.......

i think the rumored 24 pipe x1800xtpe is never going to see the light of day

ATI has a long way to come with their Crossfire setups specifically from a price /performance perspective, one could get a single 7800GTX 512 and it will run faster than two x1800xt's in CF, and do it for almost exactly half the cost........so customers looking at a few facts can see that the $1200 CF investment will yield them less than the $650 single 7800GTX 512 would, and will leave them no available upgrade slots, where the 7800GTX 512 would be able to be paired with another 7800GTX 512, for the same money as the CF setup and yield appreciably faster results

not to mention, based on what we see, i could get another 7800GT for $300 +/- and get nearly the same performance from a $600 total vid card investment as a $1200 x1800xt CF setup.........

Edited by habitual geek

I still stand by the fact that ATI HAS a 24 pipeline card. now what they're doing to release it... I haven't the foggiest clue what the hold up is. you could be right that they couldn't meet production, or it's cost prohibitive. or the fact that there's something else sitting ready to roll and that they've just given up on it. that is information I'm not given, nor do I really have the time to dig into it (and I honestly don't care too much about it).

now going on another fanboy rant with me will get you no where. Unlike others who happen to like the X1800 series cards I'm also willing to and have no problems using the 7800GTX 512mb cards (or any other NVidia based card). and sure I'll admit there are points where the Nvidia pulls ahead. but I also know there are places that the ATI cards pull ahead. and unlike the die hard fanboys either way I know about using the right tool for the job... and frankly it's not always Nvidia (sorry to wreck that belief for you).

where exactly does the ATI line pull ahead, that matters to any large group of people, that also justifies the cost vs. what you would get from an NV equivalent? what is it you are doing with your video cards that the ATI can do so well? if it's one of those VIVO things......forget it, 99% of the people here and gamers abroad could give a crack less what video playback features a card has, they only want to know how many FPS!!! they can get with a card, and how much it costs

this was never a fanboy rant, this was specific about the 24 pipe mystery card you mentioned, and so forth, and i just expanded on the NV vs. ATI situation at hand with details and facts to show you where i am seeing each company, ATI is just behind the ball right now, lets hope they push it hard this time, things should get interesting soon no doubt

fanboyism aside, nvidia will continue to smack ATI around, until ATI stops with their freaking "paper releases" thinking that's enough to satisfy the masses. Until they start ACTUALLY releasing these cards when they say they will, and at a time where they can effectively compete with nvidia's cards, they're going to lose. It doesn't matter if the x1900xtpe is twice as fast as dual-7800gtx512's when it's paper-released (yes, i'm using that as a verb :P) in a month, if it doesn't hit stores for a year.

so ati has to pull their heads out of their butts, and stop thinking that merely pleasing the ati-fanboys is going to beat nvidia, cause ati-fanboys are the only ones that seem to frolic when these paper releases are announced.

The 7800GTX 512 is basically vaporware. After it's initial release (they made sure to get plenty to the press so they can rave about it) it is nigh impossible for a mere mortal to find one to buy. Let alone at $650, I have yet to see one for less than $749.

where exactly does the ATI line pull ahead, that matters to any large group of people, that also justifies the cost vs. what you would get from an NV equivalent?  what is it you are doing with your video cards that the ATI can do so well?  if it's one of those VIVO things......forget it, 99% of the people here and gamers abroad could give a crack less what video playback features a card has, they only want to know how many FPS!!! they can get with a card, and how much it costs

this was never a fanboy rant, this was specific about the 24 pipe mystery card you mentioned, and so forth, and i just expanded on the NV vs. ATI situation at hand with details and facts to show you where i am seeing each company, ATI is just behind the ball right now, lets hope they push it hard this time, things should get interesting soon no doubt

605715[/snapback]

sorry to break it to you, but neither ATI nor Nvidia is going to cater to OCC's 99% gamer market. they go where the money is. and that isn't the nearly 14,000 users here. the release of high end cards is actually not a very big money maker for them. it's the name recognition around it and the sales of thier entry level chips to OEM's that they care most about. and I don't see many of them here at OCC.

good point clay.

now back to the Nvidia fan boy part. I'm getting awfully tired of having to remove the constant "ATI sucks" from threads regarding ATI products. next memeber who starts ragging on ANY company like that, when it is NOT the purpose of the thread (remember we're discussing what the x1900 has to offer in pipelines) WILL get their posts removed, and if it's a constant problem they will also be removed from discussion. we will NOT start flame wars, we will NOT drift off topic, and we will act like adults here.

now back to the Nvidia fan boy part.  I'm getting awfully tired of having to remove the constant "ATI sucks" from threads regarding ATI products.  next memeber who starts ragging on ANY company like that, when it is NOT the purpose of the thread (remember we're discussing what the x1900 has to offer in pipelines) WILL get their posts removed, and if it's a constant problem they will also be removed from discussion.  we will NOT start flame wars, we will NOT drift off topic, and we will act like adults here.

605792[/snapback]

amazing how things change. i remember when people here didn't think nvida would be in business much after 2004. every one was sure ati would have bought them out by now. no one seems to remember it takes more then just 6 months to decide the fate of the industry. don't belive all the hype either. anyone remember when the r520 was supposed to have 32 pipes and beat anything nvida had in sli?

Moral of the story, ATI and Nvidia have and will continue to have their horns locked for a while. But no one remembers, every time there's a murmer of a new video card its "OMG brand X is going to put brand Y in the dirt...OMG!!!!" all over again.

ATI has a long way to come with their Crossfire setups specifically from a price /performance perspective, one could get a single 7800GTX 512 and it will run faster than two x1800xt's in CF, and do it for almost exactly half the cost........so customers looking at a few facts can see that the $1200 CF investment will yield them less than the $650 single 7800GTX 512 would, and will leave them no available upgrade slots, where the 7800GTX 512 would be able to be paired with another 7800GTX 512, for the same money as the CF setup and yield appreciably faster results

not to mention, based on what we see, i could get another 7800GT for $300 +/- and get nearly the same performance from a $600 total vid card investment as a $1200 x1800xt CF setup.........

605616[/snapback]

these are facts ^^, not fanboy opinions, no "ATI sucks" comments found here, if you cant deal with those facts go find an ATI Hammer Member Legion website to read

sorry to break it to you, but neither ATI nor Nvidia is going to cater to OCC's 99% gamer market.  they go where the money is.  and that isn't the nearly 14,000 users here.  the release of high end cards is actually not a very big money maker for them.  it's the name recognition around it and the sales of thier entry level chips to OEM's that they care most about.  and I don't see many of them here at OCC.

good point clay.

now back to the Nvidia fan boy part.  I'm getting awfully tired of having to remove the constant "ATI sucks" from threads regarding ATI products.  next memeber who starts ragging on ANY company like that, when it is NOT the purpose of the thread (remember we're discussing what the x1900 has to offer in pipelines) WILL get their posts removed, and if it's a constant problem they will also be removed from discussion.  we will NOT start flame wars, we will NOT drift off topic, and we will act like adults here.

605792[/snapback]

we discussed the pipelines to death, as much as we supposedly know about them, 16 pixel pipelines, three shaders per pipe for a total of 48 shader units, but not 48 pipes as the title of the thread suggests, there, pipes discussed

but gamers end up benefitting from these high end card releases, some buy them, some get mommy and daddy to buy them, some wait until they come down in price to buy them, the members here are not buying "7200GT's" if and when that ever exists, they are buying a 7800GTor 7800GTX, etc...........they are buying the latest they can afford

and last time i checked red, any member is free to post his/her opinion as long as it relates to the topic, we don't really know a lot about this x1900, so you will have to put up with a certain amount of Nvidia vs. ATI generalities for a while, i think the members here would rather see civilized fanboy discussions..............

(there is nothing out of control at this point, i dont even see any malice posts in this thread, unless you count MalaX3 and Nagash's little insignificant little trading of opinions, matter of fact, there's really nothing here to get upset over and threaten to stop, unless you can't stand ATI getting beat up on, and rightfully so)

..........go back and forth than have their right to voice their opinion taken away completely, if a company is appearing to "suck" to the vast majority of gamers out there right now, then so be it, don't try to minimize that by censoring them, right now i have never seen so much anti-ATI coming out of the ATI camp itself, their own "fanboys" don't seem to be very keen on where things have gone with R520 or where they are going with R580(although it's too soon to tell on that one)