Stupid Question: Is Agp Dead?

legit

AGP is being replaced by PCI-E for things such as SLI and workstations which take advantage of all the bandwidth they can use.

No, Vista will not require 16 lanes of bandwidth (sorry SG). No, PCI-E is not fully future-proof, but neither is socket 939, so you decide. Intel has things such as PCI-E2 coming out, and there's Socket M2 (if either of those come out, of course. 3rd Qtr. M2 is... a long way away). However, it'll be awhile, so upgrade to PCI-E now if you can I guess. If we're lucky, PCI-E2 will follow PCI-X 2.0 with backwards compatability.

Not quite dead yet, there are still some hot cards out there rocking AGP. For my purposes, AGP is my only option now seeing as the AIW X800XT only comes in AGP. I like having all the extra DV stuff so I can watch/record telly and all that jazz. Until a PCI-E card does that better, I'll stick with my aiw x800xt. :P

not dead, but dying. Its really the industries fault. PCI x 16 graphics really have no use yet, and pci e devices have only recently emerged (my understanding) and even high end agp cards dont saturate the 8x bus. the added bandwidth is nice with SLI and crossfire however. but as stated before, can an agp 8x card still run the newest games? sure as hell can