7800 Gtx 512mb - 7th November

GlimmerMan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it does seem ati will be doing very nicely, but i have still yet to see alot of games support 512mb, 256 is good enough for me and i would go with the 7800gt BUT if i were to go 512, id go with the x1800xt since their hdr can do maxed out aa/af from what i hear and the memory bus is good too. but so far, nvidia is doing good.

As far as ATI's new cards now being the fastest in OpenGL, this is 100% true. The new Catalyst 5.10a and newer drivers will all have the memory controller "tweak" that affects the X1800 line of cards. Read up on the changes and view some benchmark goodness here.

As far as ATI's new cards now being the fastest in OpenGL, this is 100% true.  The new Catalyst 5.10a and newer drivers will all have the memory controller "tweak" that affects the X1800 line of cards.  Read up on the changes and view some benchmark goodness here.

570891[/snapback]

this new 550/1800 7800 "Ultra" is gonna crush the entire x1000 line, sorry, memory optimizations and all, the x1000's are nice, but not the leader in anything except empty promises, remember "x1800xt 90% faster in FEAR" ? yeah, that turned out to be bogus, the OpenGL tweak was a nice accomplishment but the relatively small gains they got do NOT make the x1000's the new "OpenGL king", more like, here's the "it's about friggin time you catch up" award

yeah.. but if its anything like the 6800 u 's then you wont be able to find one..

570974[/snapback]

ATI is the one with cards it has already "launched" that you cannot buy, not Nvidia, to date, the entire Series 7 line has been available in mass quantity from launch date, and in many cases, so were the Series 6 cards, only the 6800 Ultra/Extreme was hard to come by for a time, trust me, Nvidia has learned how profitable it is to have products available at launch, they aren't about to do an about face now while they have ATI "on the run"

1. Several members have reported 100+ FPS on games such as Far Cry and HL2 at max.

2. No, you will NOT be able to SLI this with a 256 meg 7800GTX. You need identical cards, and only now you can use mix vendors (ie: PowerColor with a Sapphire). The SLI bridge is not designed for this.

I don't see why people go so nuts over seeing 512 megs of RAM on a card which will be outdated once nVidia releases their 32 pipe monster (either as the 7800 Ultra or one of the GeForce 8 cards).

There are only a few people in this entire forum who would utilize over 300 megs of VRAM, and they're CAD artists.