I've Almost Seen It All....

NCC10281982B

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well stated Lo, except for one thing. The muslim god is not the same God as the Christian or Jewish God. Similar yes, but I do not believe it to be the same God.

535342[/snapback]

Where did you get that little tidbit? The three monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) are all derivatives of each other. Read each of their religious texts and they simply reinforce and reaffirm one another. So the Christian God is the same as the Jewish God who is the same as the Muslim God. No difference whatsoever.

Where did you get that little tidbit? The three monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) are all derivatives of each other. Read each of their religious texts and they simply reinforce and reaffirm one another. So the Christian God is the same as the Jewish God who is the same as the Muslim God. No difference whatsoever.

535426[/snapback]

I get it from knowing the background and from reading the books (Holy books, Torah, Bible, and Quran). I believe that Mohammed was seeking to know about God but didn't find it. I used to live in Indonesia (largest Muslim populated country in the world) and their view of God is different from the Jews and Christians.

I get it from knowing the background and from reading the books (Holy books, Torah, Bible, and Quran). I believe that Mohammed was seeking to know about God but didn't find it. I used to live in Indonesia (largest Muslim populated country in the world) and their view of God is different from the Jews and Christians.

535672[/snapback]

Mohammad wasn't seeking God, he was simply attempting to remove himself from the pagan and immoral society in which he had been living. It was through his ventures to the cave on top of a mountain where he was visited by the Angel Gabriel and presented with the message of God: to believe in Him only. Last I checked, Christianity and Judaism also believe in Gabriel along with the first commandment of believing only in God and to associate none others with Him.

You lived in Indonesia where you encountered a large Muslim population. What exactly is their view of God? How do you think it is different from the view of God held by Christians and Jews? If they are all Muslim, then they should believe that God is one and to associate no others with Him, simple as that.

The muslim view of God, at least in indonesia, is that God cannot be known. In the sense that you can't have a relationship with God where God actually wants to be involved in your life. And the relationship is one of the primary things about God in Christianity. To a muslim it is strange to think that God would come to earth as a man let alone die for us. They see Jesus as a good man but not God in the form of a man. To them it is a sin to try to picture God, whether in your mind (part of the reason they don't close their eyes when they pray), or in a drawing. So it is practically unthinkable that God would come to earth as a man.

It's not that the God of Christians and Jews (yes i believe them to be the same) and Muslims are opposite, I just see them as being just enough different so as to not say they are to the same.

I would say that anyone trying to rid their society of pagan and immoral things, is in a sense seeking God. they must have some concept of right and wrong and desire to better themselves and others. To me that knowledge of right and wrong and desire to do better is a sign of wanting to know God better.

The muslim view of God, at least in indonesia, is that God cannot be known. In the sense that you can't have a relationship with God where God actually wants to be involved in your life. And the relationship is one of the primary things about God in Christianity. To a muslim it is strange to think that God would come to earth as a man let alone die for us. They see Jesus as a good man but not God in the form of a man. To them it is a sin to try to picture God, whether in your mind (part of the reason they don't close their eyes when they pray), or in a drawing. So it is practically unthinkable that God would come to earth as a man.

It's not that the God of Christians and Jews (yes i believe them to be the same) and Muslims are opposite, I just see them as being just enough different so as to not say they are to the same.

535845[/snapback]

The concept of God cannot be known is more in relation to the fact that God should not be personified. The ultimate goal of a Muslim is to attain a level of piety where he isn't exactly "one" with God, but pretty close (being one with God would be blasphemy since you would either be personifying God or giving yourself Godly attributes). Oh, and trust me, in Islam, you want EVERYTHING in your life to involve God.

I believe you're confusing who exactly is considered God. I understand how you may say that Christ and the Father are both one and the same (just an assumption, I don't know your personal belief). However, if that is the case, then how can you say Judaism has the same concept of God. Last I checked, they don't even BELIEVE in Jesus Christ being the Messiah, let alone a deity. So according to your argument, it would be Islam and Judaism that have a similar concept of God, not Christianity. What Christians refer to as the Father of Jesus Christ is what Jews and Muslims believe to be God. In Islam, Jesus Christ was a prophet and messenger to his people, not an entity to be worshiped.