Money Question: Checks

Bionix

So I sold a bike on ebay to a guy in Florida. He didn't have paypal so he sent me a personal check. He want thebike shipped out immediatley. I really want to trust his word, but if i get ripped for that a mmount of money I'll be out for blood.

What are the risks involved with him sending me a personal check. He insures that he has money in his account. Can I cash it right away? once I have the cash... He can't rip me off can he?

Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jeremy

Just DONT ship out the bike until you have the cash in your hands. The check could bounce...etc..etc...just not very safe at all.

ya , I would wait but If your trust him and stuff i guess go ahead.

But If it bounces then he will get finded and stuff but i dont know if they give you the money once he gets it or not.

Don't ship it out until the check has cleared. And I don't mean when it is added to the balance of your account. Call the your bank and verify that is has cleared.

Many banks have agreements with other banks to add the add the funds to their accounts before it actually clears. In the mean time the check could end up being fake or the person who sent it could put a stop payment on it. (it happened to someone I know.) Even calling the guy's bank and verifying the funds are in his account doesn't mean you are going to get your money until the check clears.

Tell him thats the way it is. If he doesn't like it he can cancel the check/you can send it back and he kind find another bike, but you are just protecting yourself.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE SHIP THE BIKE BEFORE THE CHECK CLEARS... There are many fraud attempts like that.. people who not only attempt but succeed in taking advantage of one's trust.

If you don't wait for the check to clear, the guy will end up with the bike, and you risk to end up with nothing... since the check may not clear. Not only will you be left with nothing, but your account will suffer as well.. since the bank will know that you've deposited checks that didn't clear..

So my STRONG advice is to wait... the fact that the guy wants it so fast should be an alarm bell going DING-DONG in your head.. that this may be a fraud attempt.

Let us know how it went... that is, if the check will ever clear.