Money Question: Checks

Bionix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know how to deal with this. He says he needs it by friday... so with 2 day shipping id have to ship it tommorow. Now what if I just decide to abort the whole process. He will most likely leave negative feedback... will ebay take it off for me? or what..

ok I work at a financial institution which I will leave name less, there's been alot of EBAY fradulent checks going around. one case this guy sold a rolex on ebay for $2500.00 the winning bidder had the same story, and offered to pay him with a check. he accepted the check payement and shipped the item as soon as he recieved the check. turns out the check was a fake, from a real bank, but fake account.

1) PAYPAL is great for this reason as it prevents fraud right at the spot since everything is verified.

2) EVEN if you accept the check deposit it and wait 10 business days after before actually shipping the item. reason for this is that it might take a check maximum 5 days to clear, but there is something called a late return which the item could be returned in 7, 9, or even 11 days.

3)IF he sends cash make sure you deposit the money first as also, counterfits have gotten alot better, the lastest technique the washing of a 5 dollar bill and printing a 100 dollars on it, changing everything identical but the security hologram of Lincoln and the USA 5 serial. thats why deposit it first, if the bank accepts it. its good, we should all be trained professionals.

He may or may not be trying to scam you, but this is deffinately one way scams happen. they put a bunch of pressure like time constraints on you to get you to not think things though.

You can always risk it, but now you know what the possiblities are. 1 neg feedback isn't that big of a deal, you can always add a response and leave him a bad feedback, that way you are even and you didn't get ripped off for x amount of money.

I'll paraphrase here... but he said to me "you have all my information, my address, bank account, etc," "you could sue me if I do anything wrong".

If I rip up his check, does he still need to pay the "$25 fee" to cancel it

I'll paraphrase here... but he said to me "you have all my information, my address, bank account, etc,"  "you could sue me if I do anything wrong".

488328[/snapback]

Thats BS, its probobaly a fake identity... if he reports you, report him back as a non-paying bidder, and they will remove his bad feedback from your profile.

I'll paraphrase here... but he said to me "you have all my information, my address, bank account, etc,"  "you could sue me if I do anything wrong".

488328[/snapback]

Tell him its easier just to wait a couple extra days then try and get a lawsuit together.

Sueing someone for an NSF cheque is a lengthy and costly process, not usually worth it. Cheques do NOT clear in 24 hours, even a cashiers cheque takes 24 hours to clear. Having his name address and stuff means absolutely JACK. You need to tell him that he will have to wait until the cheque clears before you send the bike out. BTW how much is the cheque?

If you deposit the cheque to your account and they add the funds to it and then the cheque bounces, you will be on the hook for the whole amount of the cheque! If you put the money in your acct and then spend it and have a zero balance, when the cheque clears you will have a NEGATIVE balance! You are responsible for getting the money back from him, not the bank.

And why would someone send a cheque knowing full-well that it wouldn't clear for a few days, (and yes almost everyone who has wrote cheques knows this,) instead of buying a money order and sending that? If the cash was in his acct he could have sent a money order right?

If you are trying to build a ebay buisness you can't ship before a cheque clears. If you do it only takes one scam to maka all your hard work for nothing! You can ship stuff to me right away though, I'm honest!

Just remember that YOU hold the cards, not the buyer. You need to protect yourself first, and if that means that the guy can't go ride his bike this weekend because he sent the wrong type of payment, too bad for him!

THis is my response.

This is exactly how people get scammed on ebay. I'm not saying you are trying to scam me, but for my sake.. it's not worth the risk involved. I talked to a friend who works at a bank. He said it takes 3-5 days to clear a check. Also, he said that even if I talk to your bank to verify funds, it's still possible to cancel the check after I have it. Then, my bank will be all over me for depositing an invalid check. Not to mention I simply cannot afford to be down $950. I'm practicly broke as it is, I need a car for college.

So the way I see it. Since you said the check should clear right away, I'll go ahead and take it to the bank. If it clears, I'll send the bike to u tommorow. If it doesn't I'm afraid I'll just rip the check up. I can even take pictures of the check, ripped up. So you won't have to pay the fee to cancel it. If you want the bike by friday, I'm going to need to ask that you pay for the overnight costs. That is also in addition to sending me a money order.

Look, I know you said I have all of your information. However, it's easier to wait a couple extra days then to try and get a lawsuit together.

The guy just sounds TOO eager for you to ship the bike. I've been doing eBay for a few years now and when I send a personal check I NEVER expect the seller to ship out immediately. Most sellers state that if a personal check is used you need to wait 10 days for the check to clear.

If he needs a bike that fast he should have bought it locally.

If I were you I would just tell him he made the choice to pay by personal check and has to wait.

If he gets mad and leaved negative feedback you can do the same to him.

Don't let him bully you.

Best wishes!!!