Building Muscles

eat all the food groups, no junk food. which means no fast food, soda, etc. i havent eaten fast food or had soda in four years (since i started running). There are some good resources such as The Glycemic Index which basically tells you the amount of energy that you will get out of a certain food. If you look at the list, the first column is the glycemic rating, which is energy. if this rating is higher than 55 then it is good for energy. the higher the rating the better. for breakfast i usually have a good cereal, toast, bananas, anything with a high amount of complex carbohydrates. for lunch i have a sandwich or a wrap. for dinner i have soup, meat, potatoes, string beans, corn, rice, spaghetti. and for snacks i have nutrigrain bars and such. pasta is great for energy. as for how much, it depends on how many calories u burn. im guessing that i eat right around 4000-5000 calories a day, sometimes 6000, and i still only weigh about 158lbs.

oh and dont have anything really acidy, like orange juice, apple juice, apples, etc., before doing a strenuous activity. acid=big time cramps

sorry if this is lengthy but im a little obsessed :blink::D

NICE .>!!! will do also ..thx for all the replies guys ..!!! very usefull

and im absed to

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where is special k... isnt he a trainer?

Yes, actually I am a personal trainer. :) Guess I came here at the right time eh Cramer? :P

OK We'll start with diet, 5 meals a day. Not huge meals either, just break up what you would normally have in 3 big meals. This helps keep the metabolism active while your awake. Also, immediately after a workout have a piece of fruit, like an orange. This helps return the glycogen to the muscles allowing for a faster recovery. Also, wait about 1-2 hours after your workout to have protein, fish meat is a great source of quality protein (if your not using shakes), tuna is my favorite. Be sure to get a good night of sleep as well (8 hours) as it is very important to give your body rest.

For a workout, I like to impliment a push/pull system until you've plateau (stop gaining muscle mass) This is a 4 day workout that involves the following:

Sets:3 Repititions: 12-10-8 (increasing weight each time)

Day 1

-Chest (dumbell press, bench, incline, etc.)

-Triceps (Dips, Tri extension, Skullcrushers, etc.)

Day 2

-Back (Lat pulldown, pullups, Row's, etc.)

-Shoulders (Shoulder press, lateral raises, etc.)

-Biceps (Curls, do with dumbells and barbells)

Day 3

-Legs (Squat, leg press, leg extension, etc.)

Day 4

-Rest (But still do abs and cardio)

Everyday you want to do a minimum of 30 minutes cardio (running, swimming, biking, etc.) and always do abs. The cardio will keep your body fat in check. For some examples of exercises go here. It's pretty basic, just click on what your going to work out and it will show you a variety of exercises that you can do. Mix and match sometimes, but always work only those muscles on those days. If you work the same muscle every day, or sequentially, you won't see an increase in mass. Overexertion is the leading reason why people don't see results. Keep the maximum number of sets on a certain muscle to about 12-14 a week.

work on the abs, girls will like it

Women are actually more drawn to the chest/shoulders than abs. If you have any questions click here. :foldon:

eat all the food groups, no junk food. which means no fast food, soda, etc. i havent eaten fast food or had soda in four years (since i started running). There are some good resources such as The Glycemic Index which basically tells you the amount of energy that you will get out of a certain food. If you look at the list, the first column is the glycemic rating, which is energy. if this rating is higher than 55 then it is good for energy. the higher the rating the better. for breakfast i usually have a good cereal, toast, bananas, anything with a high amount of complex carbohydrates. for lunch i have a sandwich or a wrap. for dinner i have soup, meat, potatoes, string beans, corn, rice, spaghetti. and for snacks i have nutrigrain bars and such. pasta is great for energy. as for how much, it depends on how many calories u burn. im guessing that i eat right around 4000-5000 calories a day, sometimes 6000, and i still only weigh about 158lbs.

oh and dont have anything really acidy, like orange juice, apple juice, apples, etc., before doing a strenuous activity. acid=big time cramps

sorry if this is lengthy but im a little obsessed :blink::D

I'm sure the diet would help. I do eat a bit of pasta and chicken. Been cutting back on junk and soda for a while. Thing is, I find it hard to get the energy(and motivation) to start a training program. I take in between 4000 to 6000 calories per day just to maintain my current weight( I do fast paced, labor-intensive work.) One thing missed is a good stretching regimin. Adding mass without flexibility is useless except for appearance.

I take in between 4000 to 6000 calories per day just to maintain my current weight( I do fast paced, labor-intensive work.) One thing missed is a good stretching regimin. Adding mass without flexibility is useless except for appearance.

Re: Calories: When you work out heavily, you can eat like a hog! Added muscle mass also takes more calories to maintain even when you're not using it.

Re: Stretching: A good stretching routine (or yoga) can add 10 years to your life. Also, even if you had the muscles of a bodybuilder, if you stretched, you can be as flexible as if you didn't have the mass. ( I learned that one too late )

Sucks having super skinny guy genetics. :( I worked out for a semester, got all my maxes up and imporved in every spot but I think my muscles got smaller. <_<

I started building when I was 6'3" and 160lbs... (I also have super skinny guy genetics, you have no idea how hard it is to maintain 210lb)

Since, I have added quite a bit of weight. I am now 6'4" and a lil over 210lbs (working on gaining again) By the time our school lets out (4 weeks) I should be 220 easy. I am begining to start with a system called German Volume Training... trust me its tough! My goal is to be a lean 230 or 240lbs, with flexibility (which you don't really loose until you get really huge), endurance and speed. I plan on playing division 1 intercollegate sports, I'm thinking about track and basketball, maybe crew. We'll see where I'm at at the end of summer...

Being a personal trainer rocks. Having a gym where I know all the other trainers (in case I need tips) and that I can go to for free anytime I want (between 6am and 12am) as many times as I want rocks too. Oh, and it's not a matter of muscle size really. I mean, I can see why guys want to be "big" but as long as your strong in your own view, its all good. You have to be accepting of yourself man, trust me. However, I always raise the bar for myself. My goals always exceed reality, and that keeps me going.

haha i have those same genetics... and er also i used to do cross-country at state meets when i was over in the US of A!

haha man, about the eating... when I was 16 and doing cross-country and athletics my diet was like 15,000 calories I swear!!! (i really am not joking, people thought i had some sort of bolemia thing goin on cos i ate like a sumo wrestler tryin to get even FATTER and still maintained 10 stone! oh yeah 10 stone = 140lbs) - i really have never met anyone who ate as much as me... i ate more than the dude who weighed 250lbs!

I'm 25 now and I'm still like 11 stone @ 6'2"... luckily for me my skinny guy genetics don't mean i can't build muscle... it's just i think cos i'm half Thai they won't show as much - oh yeah that reminds me... it's really hard for tall geezers to have really obvious muscles cos their muscles are longer

erm, forgot what my point was now... or if i had one! haha, oh yeah, erm maybe go outside to do the running!!! haha, ya joker :lol:

so yeah eat well like split says, sleep well, do a bit of running before (outside!) and do all that stuff that special k said

and i think you're on to a good'un!

I've been a practitioner of Shotokan Karate for about 5 years... What I would recommend for chest development is something called "Hypers"... While lying down on your stomach on the floor, get a person to hold the bottom portion of your legs down while you pull your upper body towards the ceiling (NO HANDS!). Keep it up at a moderate pace and you'll feel a good burn in your abs if you are doing it right... :)

Now thats one tireing exercie..just tried it ..!! OMg i have no more breath lollll

if u wanna look like this B) u gotta do heavy weights with low reps, like 6.

If u wanna get cut you do light weights with high reps, like 20.

weight training is also mostly to bulk up. If you wanna be lean you gotta do alot of cardio.

btw i photoshopped the tats on to give it some extra tuffness

Oh, and it's not a matter of muscle size really. I mean, I can see why guys want to be "big" but as long as your strong in your own view, its all good. You have to be accepting of yourself man, trust me. However, I always raise the bar for myself. My goals always exceed reality, and that keeps me going.

Unfortunetly not so in our area. Any chicks that are remotely good looking go after the guys with muscles, or money. :lol: