When Computers Attack!

hardnrg

Scott was dangerous to himself no matter what he did.

he wired a 120mm 120v fan directly into the psu of his comp (bad plan). first mistake me made was when the fan instantly turned on when he plugged the system.... with his hand IN the fan. this thing had metal blades, not the usual plastic, and spun fast enough to lift it's own weight off the desk when he was testing it out.

after that he was installing a new harddrive in that same system, the front fan (120v one) was running at the time. he dropped 1 screw down into the front of the case, and into the fan. it launched it like a bullet back at him. smacking him right in the forehead.

that same fan got him 3 months later when he was messing around with setting up some new speakers behind it. his psu exploded into a very large blue fireball, burned his mustache pretty good :)

another time he was working in a rack in the server room, which had equipment in it that was as old as I am. some of it didn't ground right so the original vendor just used the rack to ground it. he leaned over and his face touched the rack. I heard the shock, the scream, and all 320lbs of him hit the floor from the next room over. he spent the next 4 hours drooling.

he also got his hand into one of those BIG fans that you put on top of a rack once. 50+ stitches to clean up that mess.

The modem line back in 98 was the all time classic though. he stripped the end off a 100ft phone cord to fish it thru a wall to setup a fax machine in another room. telling the office workers in the next room NOT to plug it in. of course captain injury didn't bring wire strippers. he decided to strip the wire with his teeth and then crimp the end down. well the folks in the other room DID plug the phone cord into a live outlet. he was chewing away on the line... and then the phone rang! zapped on the tounge with that thing. I fell over laughing so hard I thought I was gonna piss my pants.

then the day he got ahold of my crimp tool for putting on BNC and RF connectors... you have to clamp it ALL the way down before the ratchet action will let go. he used it on his own finger just messing around. he lost a finger nail to that tool.

His first attempt at case modding also led to a trip to the ER. he turned around with the dremel and sliced right along the side of his thigh with it. sliced thru his jeans and left a 1/2" deep cut in his leg.

I worked with him for 5 years. all stories aside I had to take him to the ER 20 times. including his little mistake of eating a packet of thermal paste. of course 90% of his injuries were due to doing things at work other than what he was supposed to be doing.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing that I have had happen, other than hitting my head underneath desks when I am deploying computers (happens all the time for me) is I had an HP server fall off a shelving unit and I, being the Wonder Woman that I am, decided to try and catch it. Both arms were covered in bruises for like 3 weeks. I was just lucky that I didn't break anything.

well. i accidently got my finger stuck in my stock p4 hsf.. r uning at 3500 rpm..... amazingly..no scratch!

anpother retarted incident...

i got zapped by an old psu.... like old.. the ones that dont plug into your mobo.. thers a switch that goes iderectly to the front of the case.. welll.. i was toughing hte metal part.. and turned it on... . i gota nice shock that day :ph34r:

I was assembling a new system with a friend, and I cut myself on the case and didn't notice it for awhile-suddenly I noticed his case had some red spots. Bloodied up his case lol, wasn't pretty. Case cuts bleed alot too. Now I see why prebuilts put all that pastic crap on their cases. :lol:

he also managed to get his tie stuck in a laminator one day, a paper shredder another, and a high speed dot matrix printer another. can't understand why we didnt have to wear them anymore.

other than that it was just falling off ladders, tripping over chairs in the office, falling down stairs (to his defense the skateboarder punks had waxed those steps), falling out off his chair after falling asleep, running into locked doors, tripping over cables, pulling monitors off shelves on himself.... oh and the nitro car fire! almost forgot about that mess. it caught fire in his office (working on it when he shouldn't have been), boss walked in so he threw it in the desk drawer! just some minor burns on that one.

my only misshap on that job was pretty minor by comparison to his. I had a pile of old IBM XT's fall over in a storage room (graveyard) and pin me to the wall. few bruises, and about 3 hours wasted wating for a coworker to realize I didn't step out side for a smoke while I was down at that end of the building.

this happend to me a few weeks ago...

when i finished my mod in the front of my case (to install a 120mm fan)

i plugged it in, and a piece of tape from one of my old controllers (sega) flew off into the 120mm fan, and made a huge buzzing noise (so god dang annoying) and i had the fan on high (nexus fan controller) so i lean down while playing bf42, and get my finger hit by one of the blades... i got so scared, that my knee jumped up, broke the slider thingy that holds the keyboard, and slider thingy and keyboard went done on my legs..

my mom thought i had blew up my computer, i thought i cut off a toe (slider thingy is sharp) and my little brother did stop laughing for like 10 minutes

moral is, dont put fingers where not supposed to go