NVIDIA Special Event September 1st - likely the new RTX cards being announced

Nyt

Looks like I'm going with the RTX 3090 FE card. 

Mainly due to my CPU Block, and Res are both Optimus WC, and I found out today Optimus WC is doing a vary short run special edition compact notched RTX 3090 FE Block.

They are waiting for physical samples to validate the designs, and expect all preorder RTX 3090 FE Blocks to ship in November, I'll be preordering mine on Monday morning, simply preorder the RTX 2080 Ti FE block and on the order confirmed email click View Order, and click on the contact us link, and send "upgrade to 3090 FE" in your message,.. and they will confirm your order as 3090 FE Block.

Done deal, I'm in. :cool2:

Edited by Braegnok

5 hours ago, ir_cow said:

If anyone has a certain game they wanted benchmark, or graphical setting, let me know. I'll do my best to get to it.

I spotted that MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 in the background of yesterdays 3080 Founders Edition Youtube video.

Super eager to see how that overclocks as I believe it already has a 100Mhz factory OC.

I think you covered everything I needed in your review vary well, nicely done sir.

Only concern I had was removing the FE cards OEM cooling solution, and after watching the GN tear down video this morning, the PCB removal is a simple task. I do need to order a blowtorch and 1/2" drill however.   

EK has announced their water blocks for the reference design, which is not the Founder's Edition design. There's a complete list in the announcement for what cards are supported.

EK Water Blocks for Reference Design NVIDIA RTX 30 Series Graphics Cards Are Now Available!

It also states that blocks for the the Strix and TUF series will be announced in a matter of days, but the FE water blocks will take a but longer because "EK is preparing something really special for those graphics cards."

11 hours ago, Nyt said:

I spotted that MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 in the background of yesterdays 3080 Founders Edition Youtube video.

Super eager to see how that overclocks as I believe it already has a 100Mhz factory OC.

Yeah I learned my lesson. Don't make videos hours before launch. Kinda rushed. Oh well, I'll replace it eventually. 

The MSI card review is up. I have a feeling the silicon is binned higher. At stock it beats out the FE overclocked. Not that the FE I had did well in that category anyways. It does have a 100mhz base boost over the FE at 1815Mhz.

Not sure you can get much more out of a video card without a waterblock or a AIB card that gives 400+ watts power target. 

In the past generations, the Gaming X Trio, Gigabyte Arorus Extreme and EVGA FTW3 have always been the ones with the highest power limits. There is still a chance to see one with 400 watts support. Otherwise shunt-mod it is!

11 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Yeah I learned my lesson. Don't make videos hours before launch. Kinda rushed. Oh well, I'll replace it eventually. 

The MSI card review is up. I have a feeling the silicon is binned higher. At stock it beats out the FE overclocked. Not that the FE I had did well in that category anyways. It does have a 100mhz base boost over the FE at 1815Mhz.

Not sure you can get much more out of a video card without a waterblock or a AIB card that gives 400+ watts power target. 

In the past generations, the Gaming X Trio, Gigabyte Arorus Extreme and EVGA FTW3 have always been the ones with the highest power limits. There is still a chance to see one with 400 watts support. Otherwise shunt-mod it is!

I managed to preorder a MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 in SA so now it's just a couple weeks until it arrives in SA.

Checked the review out afterwards and it's a really nice card. Slightly disappointed it only has a 102% power limit of 350w given the fact that it uses 3 x 8 pins.
But as you mention in the review here , it doesn't make a whole lot of difference on air cooling.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, Nyt said:

I managed to preorder a MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 in SA so now it's just a couple weeks until it arrives in SA.

Checked the review out afterwards and it's a really nice card. Slightly disappointed it only has a 102% power limit of 350w given the fact that it uses 3 x 8 pins.
But as you mention in the review here , it doesn't make a whole lot of difference on air cooling.

Your lucky to have been able to preorder the RTX 3080 on release day. Bounce Alerts is running automated bots to help members purchase cards on launch day, the bot runs an automated script basically from the product page to payment information and than to checkout.

Most Bounce members managed to get one card, all the way to 30 cards or more. More than 100 people downloaded and used the bot to make orders on Nvidia's wabsite, which will be resold on the secondary market like eBay for $1,200 to $2,000 and more. So if you didn't get a card on launch day, don't be surprised if a bot ends up buying the RTX 3080 before you when the stock replenishes. :vmad: 

Edited by Braegnok

On 9/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, ir_cow said:

If anyone has a certain game they wanted benchmark, or graphical setting, let me know. I'll do my best to get to it.

Yes can you try folding at home for points per day, stanford at the folding forum says the client is ready

1 hour ago, road-runner said:

Yes can you try folding at home for points per day, stanford at the folding forum says the client is ready

Yep. Running it right now. Saying 3.5 Million, but i'll see after a few WU.

10 hours ago, Nyt said:

I was watching de8buer do a shunt mod. Once that isn't a issue anymore, the Boost clock is more sustained, but now thermals become a issue, plus voltage is still like 1v instead of the 1.093v limit. I haven't gotten the voltage offset to work in any software yet. I'm sure it will come with a update in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, road-runner said:

To see full potential of the new RTX 3080 running folding@home PPD,.. you would need to have a motherboard that supports PCIe 4.0 X 16, and be running Linux.

The RTX 3080 will still work with PCIe 2.0 X 16 and on Windows,.. but Linux is much more optimized for folding.