NVIDIA Special Event September 1st - likely the new RTX cards being announced

Nyt

5 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Yeah this time no "reference" pcb exists. Just reference componets and AIB partners have to make their own PCB. Personally the whole 3000 series looks so nice I wouldn't want to take it apart for a waterblock.

It will be much easier with partner PCBs. As seem in the past, nvidia has a billion screws. 

But this also means every block will be a limited run due to low compatibility. That Asus strix and Msi Gaming waterblocks are like $75 more for the 2080 ti..

I agree, the FE cards look vary nice, and have a billion screws. I'm going to wait till after your review before buying to find out how that flow-through FE cooler works, sounds. I upgraded my rig with a 420mm x 60mm rad planing on running CPU & GPU on single loop,.. kinda leaning towards EVGA Hydro Copper RTX 3090 and call it done.  

Thanks! I am planning on getting a waterblock at some point. Haven't decided on the FE or AIB card.  Not sure brand yet. Honestly probably whatever is easiest since I don't care about looks or size of the waterblock. Just thermal function.

The EVGA Hydro Copper is a good choice. The only reason I don't buy pre-install block SKUs is because I want to sell the card later on. I have horrible luck selling cards without a aircooler.

The Asus Tuf RTX3090 is compatible with new EK full-cover block, https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TUF-RTX3090-24G-GAMING/specifications/

The card is 11.8" wide without block, so will be fine in my chassis with Optimus D5, https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute-reservoir-acrylic-d5-pump-included 

And front mounted Alphacool UT60, https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radiatoren/radiatoren-aktiv/12881/alphacool-nexxxos-ut60-full-copper-420mm-radiator

But I think lot's of folks with smaller chassis are going to have issues with card length running front mounted rad & tower res, the 3090 is a huge card. 

Just saw the South African pricing for these cards.

When converted to USD, the South African RTX3080 is $1500 and the South African RTX3090 is $2400. Thanks COVID shipping rates and greedy South African suppliers.

Decided on the MSI Gaming X Trio RTX3080.
Bought another 8 pin cable from Corsair so I've got 3 x 8pin ready.
Also bought a Cooler Master ELV8 to stop any possible sagging (although now I see MSI includes something similar in the box).

Keen to get my hands on one and undervolt + overclock it to get it a bit faster and cooler/quieter.

1 hour ago, ir_cow said:

Ouch. How can anyone afford that much? I would fly to america and pick up a computer and fly back. It seems like it would be cheaper.

I guess to avoid South African import duties, you would need to break the seal of the items, and place items in a different bag out of the OEM box,.. before coming back. :whistling:

9 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Ouch. How can anyone afford that much? I would fly to america and pick up a computer and fly back. It seems like it would be cheaper.

It seems like it's just the new Ampere cards that are really overpriced in South Africa at launch.

For the same money as a South African RTX3080 I could build a PC that actually costs about $1200 on Newegg (Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte B550, 16Gb GSkill DDR4-3200, XFX 5700XT, Sabrent 1TB Rocket Q NVME with a Fractal case, 600w PSU, Corsair HS35 headset, Cooler Master MM-710 mouse, keyboard and a 24 inch Dell 1080p/75Hz IPS monitor).

I guess I'm just paying the early adopters tax to get an Ampere in the launch window :happy:

1 hour ago, road-runner said:

wonder how they gonna fold, I am still on 1000 series

Getting some mileage out of them their Turing cards,.. F@H will need to be optimized for Ampere cards to leverage the FP32 throughput performance.

Optimistically, we can speculate that an RTX3090 with 10,496 CUDA cores will have roughly 3x the folding performance of a GTX1080Ti. 

2 hours ago, Braegnok said:

Getting some mileage out of them their Turing cards,.. F@H will need to be optimized for Ampere cards to leverage the FP32 throughput performance.

Optimistically, we can speculate that an RTX3090 with 10,496 CUDA cores will have roughly 3x the folding performance of a GTX1080Ti. 

Doesnt take much to check email and look at facebook lol.. Should have sold them long ago along with other cards... I got a bunch of older ones from years ago also going back to nvidia gtx 570 and what was the eyefinity ati card 5870 or something got 4 of those, some 7970s

Edited by road-runner

1 hour ago, road-runner said:

Doesnt take much to check email and look at facebook lol.. Should have sold them long ago along with other cards... I got a bunch of older ones from years ago also going back to nvidia gtx 570 and what was the eyefinity ati card 5870 or something got 4 of those, some 7970s

I would buy some older card for my collection. Not sure if you want to sell them. Not worth the time to benchmark these days. Maybe for a special chart for WoW when the new expansion comes out in October.