nVidia Geforce 337.50 Beta Drivers Released; Ran some tests on my own

Crow47

Well actually I'm talking about my 16FPS difference from 60 to 76...which is even less important :lol:

Well, naturally, unless you're trying to run at more than 60hz on your monitor. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Performance for me dropped in The Secret World. Was getting between 80-120 at 2650x1600 and with the beta driver got between 45-60. Both drivers experience occasional FPS drops in the teens or even single digits that lasts only a second. Looks like I'll be reverting to the previous driver and try dx9 and see if that stops the FPS drops.

Performance for me dropped in The Secret World. Was getting between 80-120 at 2650x1600 and with the beta driver got between 45-60. Both drivers experience occasional FPS drops in the teens or even single digits that lasts only a second. Looks like I'll be reverting to the previous driver and try dx9 and see if that stops the FPS drops.

That seems extremely odd. Are you sure the new driver didn't turn on v-sync by default? May want to check the NVIDIA Control Panel.

That seems extremely odd. Are you sure the new driver didn't turn on v-sync by default? May want to check the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Yeah the Nvidia CP is set to use the application's settings.  And Vsync is still off.  Just tried again and in some places I would go up to as high as 90 FPS but average is still about 60.  Pretty much the same FPS in DX9 as well.  But I didn't play long enough to see if the FPS drops were gone in DX9.  I'm going to go back to the last driver and see if the FPS goes back up.

Yeah the Nvidia CP is set to use the application's settings.  And Vsync is still off.  Just tried again and in some places I would go up to as high as 90 FPS but average is still about 60.  Pretty much the same FPS in DX9 as well.  But I didn't play long enough to see if the FPS drops were gone in DX9.  I'm going to go back to the last driver and see if the FPS goes back up.

This may be a silly question, but one time after I installed the new driver I forgot to re-enable SLI and I wondered where my frames had gone. You check that?

This may be a silly question, but one time after I installed the new driver I forgot to re-enable SLI and I wondered where my frames had gone. You check that?

Yeah I re-enabled it.  Interesting now though is after reverting back to the old driver I'm still getting the lower FPS.  Maybe it's the last update the game had.  They just had one on the day after the beta driver released.

Also when I go into a single player instance the FPS is back at 90-120 FPS.  But in the regular game world it's anywhere from 45-90.

Seeing that there is a huge lack of benchmarks for cards a few years old I decided to follow your lead!  Here are my results for my GTX560TI SLI setup with a little cut and paste with my results added in and:

All at stock gpu clocks (880ghz), cpu is at 4.6ghz.  

Batman: Arkham Origins: 47 (All settings set to max at my monitor's native resolution of 2560x1440, Vsync off)

Metro: Last Light: 44.67 FPS (1920x1080, DX11, Physx On, SSAA Off - AAA - DOF On)

After installing the new Geforce Experience and driver (337.50), followed by a reboot, I reran each benchmark.

Batman: Arkham Origins:47 (All settings set to max at my monitor's native resolution of 2560x1440, Vsync off)

Metro: Last Light: 44.67 (1920x1080, DX11, Physx On, SSAA Off - AAA - DOF On)

Absolutely no change for me in the final average results...however, in the min/max frame rates I did see a slight bump in the max frames recorded.  Metro went from (min/max) 5/218 to 5/225 and Batman Origins went from 22/65 to 22/69.  

Perhaps there would be a better increase in newer games?  It seems that both of these title hardly needed a driver update, so minimal gains perhaps where to be expected...

I haven't tried Last Light (one of the many games in my Steam backlog), but for Arkham Origins, are you running it with all the DX11 features? I say this because they're very demanding and should probably only all be on if you're running a high-end card. Turning off even a couple would probably put you over the 60 mark. Did you check to see what GFE claims is the optimal setting?

My initial testing on my GTX 770 (non-Beta driver) was 60FPS (avg) with everything max, but with all DX11 turned off, it jumped up to 76FPS. Turning just the "snow" on, it dropped to 69FPS.

Obviously this won't impact the gains (or lack thereof) of the new driver, but just thought I'd mention it.

Sorry this is a such a delayed response, I got a bit sidetracked.  

With Batman I normally run it at 1080P.   I just got the 1440P monitor and it was running fine except for a major fps drop in the in-fight cut scenes for take down moves and such.  I haven't played it enough to tweak the settings yet and was just using the same exact settings as Crow47 for the benchmark.  I think my old settings were 1920x1080 tessellation and dx11 on normal and physx on normal.

Are those games normally cpu bottlenecked by a 3770K?? 

No, because the CPU rarely bottleneck anything these days  :glare:

I thought it was an interesting question so I went back and OC'd the cpu to see if there was any increase in fps.  The verdict was a big NO.   And this was with my lesser i5-3570k.

None of my bios changes were taking effect though, so I had to flash a bios update.  Crazy nothing was working, even resetting to defaults it would still load up at the OC'd 4.6ghz.  Anyway, now bios flash solved it and now I re-ran the test, this was metro with all the same settings as before:

3.8ghz (stock) - 45.67  (higher than my last test, I guess the bios update did some good?)

4.5ghz - 46

4.6ghz - 46

4.7ghz - 46

4.8 ghz - 45.?  I don't remember the exact number and 4.8 was a a bit unstable.  I didn't work on it and was happy my settings and bios were all working fine.  Dropped back to my 4.6 and called it a night.

I thought it was an interesting question so I went back and OC'd the cpu to see if there was any increase in fps.  The verdict was a big NO.   And this was with my lesser i5-3570k.

None of my bios changes were taking effect though, so I had to flash a bios update.  Crazy nothing was working, even resetting to defaults it would still load up at the OC'd 4.6ghz.  Anyway, now bios flash solved it and now I re-ran the test, this was metro with all the same settings as before:

3.8ghz (stock) - 45.67  (higher than my last test, I guess the bios update did some good?)

4.5ghz - 46

4.6ghz - 46

4.7ghz - 46

4.8 ghz - 45.?  I don't remember the exact number and 4.8 was a a bit unstable.  I didn't work on it and was happy my settings and bios were all working fine.  Dropped back to my 4.6 and called it a night.

I'm going to be doing a 16 game test in the next week to see if this driver is worth all the hype.

I will be testing each game at the maximum settings at 1920x1080 and seeing if there is much of a difference between the two drivers when a high performance CPU, such as a 4770K at 4.5GHz, is used.

I am also going to set my 4770K so I can test the FPS change between the two drivers when using 2 cores and 4 threads at 2.5GHz as well as 4 cores and 4 threads at 2.5GHz (two more realistic CPU setups for a mainstream gamer).

Interested to see how the new driver improves the possible bottleneck when using a GTX780Ti on a CPU with effectively only 2 cores and 4 threads at 2.5GHz as I suspect this may be the biggest improvement.

Will post the link to the mini-review when it's done :)

Edited by Knight_72