nVidia Geforce 337.50 Beta Drivers Released; Ran some tests on my own

Crow47

Are those games normally cpu bottlenecked by a 3770K?? 

Definitely not in my experience.

I've got Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs downloading right now; I hope to post some more results later on this week.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a current game that gets bottlenecked by a 3770K, we be in trouble :lol:.

In all seriousness, CPU is more likely to come into play for RTSs and MMOs, where CPU has to handle a lot of calculations at once.

Yeah, the biggest improvements that nVidia stated was in Rome 2 which is more dependent on cpu than most games, so am not really surprised op didn't get much of a boost in those games :)

I am interested in Sleeping Dogs and Hitman though since I have that game and gpu usage for me isn't at max, though not sure on Hitman cause I didn't play it much

No, because the CPU rarely bottleneck anything these days   :glare:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-8.html

nd from overclock.net thread

http://www.overclock.net/t/1426315/gamegpu-total-war-rome-ii-benchmarked

would link photo but I get an error when trying to post, incompatible file extension or sumthin sumthin

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Yeah, the biggest improvements that nVidia stated was in Rome 2 which is more dependent on cpu than most games, so am not really surprised op didn't get much of a boost in those games :)

I am interested in Sleeping Dogs and Hitman though since I have that game and gpu usage for me isn't at max, though not sure on Hitman cause I didn't play it much

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-8.html

would link photo but I get an error when trying to post, incompatible file extension or sumthin sumthin

Just because a faster CPU gives better performance doesn't mean it is bottle-necked by the game...

Just because a faster CPU gives better performance doesn't mean it is bottle-necked by the game...

Actually, I kinda thought that was the definition of a bottleneck. If the CPU wasn't a bottleneck a change from 2 or 4 or 6 cores would make no difference in the frame rate. 

Actually, I kinda thought that was the definition of a bottleneck. If the CPU wasn't a bottleneck a change from 2 or 4 or 6 cores would make no difference in the frame rate. 

The thing is, when you have multi-cpu dependent games like rome total or crysis 3, it is to be expected to have better performance with more cores / faster speeds.

Generally, an i7 wouldn't be bottle-necked by anything tbh, if it is bottle-necked for some reason, it is either bad game coding, or you have a REALLY fast GPU set-up.

If it is bad coding, the game is holding the I7 back, not the other way around.

And in my defense, i did say RARELY gets bottle-necked ;)

I guess it just kinda depends on what they're making the CPU do, doesn't it? Rome Total War makes sense that more cores would get faster frames, as you have all those units moving around and all the calculations inherent to that. Kinda surprised Crysis saw such a leap going from an IB 4-core to an IB 6-core. I'm not a programmer but something tells me the CPU optimization could be done a little better. 

I guess it just kinda depends on what they're making the CPU do, doesn't it? Rome Total War makes sense that more cores would get faster frames, as you have all those units moving around and all the calculations inherent to that. Kinda surprised Crysis saw such a leap going from an IB 4-core to an IB 6-core. I'm not a programmer but something tells me the CPU optimization could be done a little better. 

Hence a bottleneck is born from the game, not the processor :P

And i would guess cryengine 3 is multi-core dependent as it is a "next-gen" engine and it is developed with multi-cores in mind.

Seeing that there is a huge lack of benchmarks for cards a few years old I decided to follow your lead!  Here are my results for my GTX560TI SLI setup with a little cut and paste with my results added in and:

All at stock gpu clocks (880ghz), cpu is at 4.6ghz.  

Batman: Arkham Origins: 47 (All settings set to max at my monitor's native resolution of 2560x1440, Vsync off)

Metro: Last Light: 44.67 FPS (1920x1080, DX11, Physx On, SSAA Off - AAA - DOF On)

After installing the new Geforce Experience and driver (337.50), followed by a reboot, I reran each benchmark.

Batman: Arkham Origins:47 (All settings set to max at my monitor's native resolution of 2560x1440, Vsync off)

Metro: Last Light: 44.67 (1920x1080, DX11, Physx On, SSAA Off - AAA - DOF On)

Absolutely no change for me in the final average results...however, in the min/max frame rates I did see a slight bump in the max frames recorded.  Metro went from (min/max) 5/218 to 5/225 and Batman Origins went from 22/65 to 22/69.  

Perhaps there would be a better increase in newer games?  It seems that both of these title hardly needed a driver update, so minimal gains perhaps where to be expected...

Definitely going to try these new drivers on my GTX780Ti when I get back home after my holiday, 

Going to try them out on :

Thief, Total War Rome II, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Batman Arkham Origins, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider and F1 2013

So that should give a good idea of whether NVIDIA is focused on Kepler cards :) Will post results

Edited by Knight_72

Weeney, you just described a bottleneck xD It doesn't matter how many cores the game uses or whatever, it's still a bottleneck.

If the gpu isn't being maxed out and you don't already have 1000fps or a frame limiter in place it's pretty sure to be a cpu bottleneck ;) 

Weeney, you just described a bottleneck xD It doesn't matter how many cores the game uses or whatever, it's still a bottleneck.

If the gpu isn't being maxed out and you don't already have 1000fps or a frame limiter in place it's pretty sure to be a cpu bottleneck ;)

You were saying the CPU was the bottleneck, while the game is to blame.

It is the other way around :P