Best sporty car at or under $10,000

IVIYTH0S

Eww, if I wanted to drive a blow-tary I'd drive my friend's new FD.

Not looking for a car with required rebuilds, and terrible oil/gas mileage.

I know I didn't mention it but....yeah, no rotaries. I will only admire them from afar but never own one.

Always remember to check how much replacement parts are when it comes to buying a new car. Tires, tranny, engine etc.

True, although none will be as cheap as my Saturn...another thing I'll miss.

That's one thing that gives the Ion on my list a perk, it's a GM so parts will be nice and cheap (not to mention I bet the Cobalt mod community is pretty large so performance parts would be pretty cheap)

I picked up a 2000 GT with a 5.4 swap and 73k body miles, 45k engine miles, as well as a bunch of aftermarket stuff in good condition for $5,900. It didn't handle like a cobra but it weighed as much as a GTI and had more power than a 4.6 4 valve.

Hmm... Idk

Here's a 2005 GT with 148K for $7500

or a

2002 GT w/104K  $5500

I just am not sure if I'd feel with a big car like that though

I mean look at this glorious Celica for $4500 (I'd remove that obnoxious wing though)

A lot of peoples problems are that they see an awesome car they want jump on it something goes wrong then they cant afford to replace the parts, Though most retailes you rent from have you covered on that stuff.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supra anyone?

Are you willing to do any major work? If so, I would pick up a miata for like 1K, stick a v8 in it, and then go choose a nice body kits for it to turn it into what ever you like. 

LOL

Nah, looking for a get in and go (remember this is my DD car when the weather doesn't permit me to ride my motorcycle)

SNIP

A lot of peoples problems are that they see an awesome car they want jump on it something goes wrong then they cant afford to replace the parts, Though most retailes you rent from have you covered on that stuff.

Can't go wrong with Ford. My new alternator (which replaced the one that had been in the car for 13 years previously) only cost me like $85. To replace it, I just used a 3/8ths torque wrench to loosen the tensioner, pulled the belt off, undid three screws, removed the alternator, and then did all of it the other way around with the new one. Took maybe 15 minutes. Plus, they're really reliable. I got t-boned at 35 mph and still managed to drive the car off the road, onto the tow truck, off the tow truck and then 1/4 mile across my campus to a parking spot. My friend has had a 2004 GT for quite some time and its still running great. 

Probably just a peaky powerband (probably why the mileage was good??)

There was nothing "power" in the powerband. :lol:

Probably just a peaky powerband (probably why the mileage was good??)

There was nothing "power" in the powerband. :lol:

You think the hp is over stated???

Don't listen to waco on this one. Power is all about perspective... 70% of people love the new V6 mustangs... 

I actually have to chime in on this one...haha. Not to defend Waco either...

But -- I rode along in that PIG of a V6. It was a joke. We were on the test drive, and for fun I ask Waco to punch it on the on ramp -- joke was on me...he already was. 

I think there is quite a difference in a V6 and V8 and it's not just in the cylinder count. There is an amount to be spoken when the tire meets the road. 70% may love the new V6 -- but perhaps it is because 70% haven't ridden/driven a V8 or that 70% can't afford the price diff.

Or perhaps you are stating that only 70% are satisfied with their V6 purchase and wish they'd gone with the V8 -- while still a good number the regret is still high. 

Either which way you look at it. 

I'll just say the V6 Mustang is a god awful pig even compared to my slow ass Focus. lol.

Thats because you are a speed freak too ;P Lolol

The average person, one who cares about looks over performance... Is almost scared by the Mustang V6... My ex had a V6 dodge Journey and it was "Too scary to push the peddle all the ways to the floor" Her sister has a 2010 V6 mustang and it was "the fastest thing she'd ever driven" Her boyfriend thought the V6 stang was "Incredibly fast!"

I'm not just making this stuff up, most people thoroughly enjoy the V6. But like i said, im with you guys on this one, the V6 blows. At least for me its just way too slow. But my point remains valid.

Can't go wrong with Ford. My new alternator (which replaced the one that had been in the car for 13 years previously) only cost me like $85. To replace it, I just used a 3/8ths torque wrench to loosen the tensioner, pulled the belt off, undid three screws, removed the alternator, and then did all of it the other way around with the new one. Took maybe 15 minutes. Plus, they're really reliable. I got t-boned at 35 mph and still managed to drive the car off the road, onto the tow truck, off the tow truck and then 1/4 mile across my campus to a parking spot. My friend has had a 2004 GT for quite some time and its still running great. 

That's the way my Saturn is. Cheap parts and everything is a breeze to work on. You don't have to disassemble the entire car to replace a light bulb, hell even doing my steering rack recently was probably the amount of steps it takes to replace a battery in some cars.

Thats because you are a speed freak too ;P Lolol

The average person, one who cares about looks over performance... Is almost scared by the Mustang V6... My ex had a V6 dodge Journey and it was "Too scary to push the peddle all the ways to the floor" Her sister has a 2010 V6 mustang and it was "the fastest thing she'd ever driven" Her boyfriend thought the V6 stang was "Incredibly fast!"

I'm not just making this stuff up, most people thoroughly enjoy the V6. But like i said, im with you guys on this one, the V6 blows. At least for me its just way too slow. But my point remains valid.

I remember when I was just starting driving and I had a Stratus (V6 I guess) for the driving school car and the guy said "you can floor it to merge onto the highway" and I was like WHOOOOOOA, SUCH POWER. But nowadays I'd probably fall asleep before it reached 50 :lol:

It's all about never experiencing more.

Same with my Ninja 250 (and part of the reason that I never wanted to really ride a 600), as soon as I got my new 600 and I went to ride my 250 I was stunned at how "slow" it felt.

SNIP

Ford: Found on Road Dead...

To be honest I still love my ZX3. But I wouldn't say she's always been kind to work on...but not many cars are.

I'd recommend an SVT Focus -- but it's going to be hard to find one that hasn't been beaten on...

I've always driven trucks and SUVs, so admittedly when I rented a V6 Chevy Malibu I immensely enjoyed the power. It only had an auto-manual slushbox but it would actually hold the revs right up to near red line until you manually clicked up a gear, to me that thing ripped along pretty good.

Then again, I grin from ear to ear driving any manual vehicle. Especially trucks burn out machines.

:pfp:

Edited by Andrewr05

Ford: Found on Road Dead...

To be honest I still love my ZX3. But I wouldn't say she's always been kind to work on...but not many cars are.

I'd recommend an SVT Focus -- but it's going to be hard to find one that hasn't been beaten on...

Lol or Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily

Supra anyone?

Are you willing to do any major work? If so, I would pick up a miata for like 1K, stick a v8 in it, and then go choose a nice body kits for it to turn it into what ever you like. 

LOL

Nah, looking for a get in and go (remember this is my DD car when the weather doesn't permit me to ride my motorcycle)

I would still go for a miata. You can get a body kit to make it look like the RX7 and install it without too much trouble. 

You also have lots of room for other modifications if you so desire. 

Other then that, evo. You will have to spend a lot of time hunting it down, but the AWD will be worth it.