IVIYTH0S

Best sporty car at or under $10,000

Probably just a peaky powerband (probably why the mileage was good??)

There was nothing "power" in the powerband. :lol:

You think the hp is over stated???

Don't listen to waco on this one. Power is all about perspective... 70% of people love the new V6 mustangs... Waco is the type person, or rather the reason that the V8's are still in production. I'm in the same boat, I don't understand why anyone would buy a mustang without the V8 but hey whatever... Lol

Have you looked at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe? Other than people complaining about the manual trans "not having enough feel" they are pretty great cars. The older(like mid 2000's) 2.0 turbos are ultra easy to tune and hit 300hp without much effort. The V6 models aren't bad either.

Don't listen to waco on this one. Power is all about perspective... 70% of people love the new V6 mustangs... Waco is the type person, or rather the reason that the V8's are still in production.

Not quite. I was just totally underwhelmed by the power of the V6 'stang. My Cobalt was faster. Hell, my Miata feels nearly as fast...and it's a 1.6. It's a heavy car with an underpowered motor.

You think the hp is over stated???

Don't listen to waco on this one. Power is all about perspective... 70% of people love the new V6 mustangs... 

I actually have to chime in on this one...haha. Not to defend Waco either...

But -- I rode along in that PIG of a V6. It was a joke. We were on the test drive, and for fun I ask Waco to punch it on the on ramp -- joke was on me...he already was. 

I think there is quite a difference in a V6 and V8 and it's not just in the cylinder count. There is an amount to be spoken when the tire meets the road. 70% may love the new V6 -- but perhaps it is because 70% haven't ridden/driven a V8 or that 70% can't afford the price diff.

Or perhaps you are stating that only 70% are satisfied with their V6 purchase and wish they'd gone with the V8 -- while still a good number the regret is still high. 

Either which way you look at it. 

I'll just say the V6 Mustang is a god awful pig even compared to my slow ass Focus. lol.

Honestly, if 70% can't afford the price difference, they should just save up because the V8 is amazing. The 5.0 is a dream machine, and the 4.6 3 valve isn't bad either. The 4 valve is awesome. 

If you can find an un-molested 240sx that'd be a good option

Just trying to get ideas of a nice and fun car I could get under 10 G's since I think it may be time to move on from  my saturn :cry:

I want something small/light that handles well (or can be easily/cheaply made to handle well) over straight line performance, and preferably better than 25MPG but I know sportiness and my budget will have to cut corners somewhere.

Newer than 2000 too

Stick of course

I agree with Waco.   I find American muscle cars with V6s to be way underpowered due to their weight.

I didn't spend a long time searching but this seemed pretty decent for money - not terribly old, good gas mileage, good carfax report and low mileage.   Not sporty compared to old WRXs, Cobras or EVOs but would still be a decent ride.

2008 Scion tC - $10,995 (ya slightly above budget though)

Better looking but higher mileage and no carfax report:

2006 Acura RSX - $9850

Just a different set of cars to look at it in contrast to the other options people presented.

I agree with Waco.   I find American muscle cars with V6s to be way underpowered due to their weight.

I didn't spend a long time searching but this seemed pretty decent for money - not terribly old, good gas mileage, good carfax report and low mileage.   Not sporty compared to old WRXs, Cobras or EVOs but would still be a decent ride.

2008 Scion tC - $10,995 (ya slightly above budget though)

Better looking but higher mileage and no carfax report:

2006 Acura RSX - $9850

Just a different set of cars to look at it in contrast to the other options people presented.

Thanks for the help though... the TC is auto and the RSX doesn't have the better motor. I know I could get an RSX TypeS for under 10K without much trouble.

I do appreciate the thought though

Ya I know, they were more like example cars.   I couldn't find any good deals on the Type S nor a tC with decent mileage for that price range.   I just can't suggest a car with 100k miles to anyone because I know I wouldn't spend $10k on a car that has that much mileage on it.

I'm surprised you are dedicated to drive manual in that area.   I lived in DC and the traffic was flat out miserable.    It took me 6 hours to get from NJ back to VA ...granted most of that drive was on the beltway and very little in between.   But I couldn't imagine driving a stick day in and day out in that mess.    And the east coast is so unforgiving on cars out there, especially this time of year due to the road salt.   I don't know how bad NJ traffic is day to day but taking 45min just to go 2 miles in DC was a nightmare.

Ya I know, they were more like example cars.   I couldn't find any good deals on the Type S nor a tC with decent mileage for that price range.   I just can't suggest a car with 100k miles to anyone because I know I wouldn't spend $10k on a car that has that much mileage on it.

I'm surprised you are dedicated to drive manual in that area.   I lived in DC and the traffic was flat out miserable.    It took me 6 hours to get from NJ back to VA ...granted most of that drive was on the beltway and very little in between.   But I couldn't imagine driving a stick day in and day out in that mess.    And the east coast is so unforgiving on cars out there, especially this time of year due to the road salt.   I don't know how bad NJ traffic is day to day but taking 45min just to go 2 miles in DC was a nightmare.

That is rough, mainly I have a 30-45 minute commute to school depending on traffic and it's often an open highway.

I may make another thread for my reasonable/hybrid car choices as well, should I choose a good MPG car instead of performance (Since I have my FZ6 for performance that'd whoop nearly any car anyway lol)

Ok separate post since I found some actual cars that might interest you with decent mileage on most.   All manual.   Not all good gas mileage (worst is the cobra) but most should be decent.   Though you would need to drop $1k more on your limit.

2006 Subaru WRX - 127k miles  (not many WRXs to choose from)

2008 Mazda Speed 3 Sport - 62k miles

2001 Ford Mustang Cobra Coupe - 95k miles

2004 Nissan 350Z (Roadster) - 87k miles   (had an accident ...wouldn't really trust any used 350Z to be honest, always ridden hard)

2008 Volkswagon GTI - 90k miles

2001 Audi TT 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp - 77k miles   (fun car ...but green lol)

2001 Audi TT 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp - 74k miles   (found a red one)

2006 Acura RSX Type S - 96k miles

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder - 36k miles

2007 Mini Coop S - 28k

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - 91k   (fleet vehicle though)

2010 Mazda MAZDA3 i Sport Sedan - 24k

2005 Mazda MAZDA6 s Sport - 65k

I think the $1k hike made a good difference in options but your money. :P

Edited by Fogel

My thoughts on your list as a guy who sold used cars for the past year:

1)Last gen Celica GTS - Personally I hate nearly everything about these cars, the only good thing I can say is reliable?

2) Acura RSX Type-S - Could be nice, might be harder to find a good one at a reasonable price being a "luxury" brand

3)S2000 - Really fun, really tiny, really expensive (for a good one). I've seen a fair number of these cars that look BEAUTIFUL in and out, just to discover it's a frame damaged car with rewelds and bent crumple zones on all four corners, always worries me about them 

4)Saturn Ion Redline (and by extension, Cobalt SS I guess. Even though I can't afford the T/C version and the S/C versions are more expensive than the Redlines which are the same shit lol) - I actually drive a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC, bought it new summer of 07 and haven't regretted it for a second. Redline's the same car as you said BUT the kicker is with the Saturn brand gone they are a HARD sell (any Saturn that is) so if you find one use that to your advantage to get some extra $$ off, and as for what you want in a car it's like a dead copy of my wishlist in 07, I can do 140MPH fine if I want (160 if it's a longer straight) or get ~27MPG avg, (lowest I've ever gotten over a tank is 22, best 35, the car is rated 28 on the highway) and the car handles very well for what it is (as well as many so called "sports" cars I've driven) IF you keep good tires on it, I drove one identical to mine but black  6 months ago with cheap tires on it and it felt like a buddy of mine's old SS non supercharged (suspension isn't as beefed up in those). At ~$800 (or more) for a good set of tires many people put $450 sets of tires that wont hold in a corner on them because it says cobalt on the back.  As for the TC version, if you want to race it it's loads better, if you want around town grunt the SC version will get off the line while the turbo figures out it has a job to do.  Only real flaw is they are built a little cheap, but then the parts to fix them are too...

5)Subaru WRX/STi (doubt I'd find a nice STi in my price range but it'd be nice) - That would be nice...good luck and if you find two shoot me a message

6)Lancer Evo (again this probably impossible) - see above comment

7)VW Turbo Jetta - The Jetta is a good car, but nothing about it screams great car to me anymore...maybe having the chance to drive most any car I wanted over the last year has changed me

8) Trueno AE86  :P (Sorry just was watching some Initial D with a friend) - No comment

Someone mentioned a new BRZ/FR-S, honestly while it's a GREAT car and fun to drive they have SO little power in the low end. It needs a turbo...you could add a turbo :D But in all seriousness sticking to your budget might be best :)

The Mustang V6 vs V8 thing is a fun one, and while there is NO way I would buy the V6 personally, I will say that if you want to race, you can have the old 4.6L V8 and I'll take a 2012 (seriously this is the only year I EVER seemed to test drive with a V6 lol) manual trans with a V6 and be more than happy to run with you and possibly even get lucky and beat you, I drove them back to back and rode with other driving them back to back many times and they have a very similar power feel to them, the V6 doesn't sound as good, and hits higher RPMs to make it happen (and you'll need to use the happy stick between the seats to make it go more often) but it will keep up.  Now a new 5.0 :) that's a whole different animal and while I don't like mustangs at all I would drive it :D

*I would like to point out that as I typed that I'm running on 3 hours of sleep that I got ~25hrs ago so chances are that reads more like a big crazy rant than anything else but for some reason I can't sleep so I'm posting on OCC about cars :doh:

Edited by cchalogamer