Wisdom teeth

Onion

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to avoid at all cost is dry socket.  Your surgeon will give you instructions on how to avoid (no sucking through straws, no smoking, keep the socket well aerated and clean etc.)  I can't emphasize this enough.  If you get a bad case of dry socket you will want to blow your head off.

My mom and the surgeon told me about them. I'm so afraid of that happening that I probably even became paranoid. I don't even swallow with my lips sealed in fear of creating a vacuum and having a dry socket. 

Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone. I'm home, the procedure is done, and I'm in a ton of pain. The meds help a little, but really not all that much. I'm eating some ice cream mixed with milk right now to get some energy, and I had a yogurt earlier with my pills. All that's left now is to wait this through. I honestly can't wait for this nightmare to be over, I feel so weird, tired, weak, and nauseous. 

To those wondering about "four in one shot," that's actually very common in the US - if you're (unfortunately) someone who requires all four to be taken out, most surgeons advise doing it all at once...after all, why would you want to go through it twice? And that's especially true when anesthesia is involved - not to worry Onion, but there's always a chance someone doesn't wake up, so why chance it twice?

Personally, I just had two out because my other two were impacted so much (under the gums) that they're not going anywhere. They don't hurt me, so there was no reason to remove them. The other two had broken thru the gums, so they had to go. I only had local anesthesia though and I was also used to getting teeth pulled, as I had a lot of baby teeth pulled (including 4 at once). For whatever reason, the time I had four, I didn't want to swallow the blood and let it accumulate in my mouth until we got home, which I just made it - before my mom even stopped pulling the car into the driveway, I opened the car door and spit out a huge glop of blood and saliva :lol:.

I'm a weirdo so I don't really mind the taste of blood. I didn't have too much of a problem with that.

Also, from what I read, they typically do 4 at a time under general anesthesia, and two at a time under local.

I'm a weirdo so I don't really mind the taste of blood. I didn't have too much of a problem with that.

Also, from what I read, they typically do 4 at a time under general anesthesia, and two at a time under local.

Yeah I was fine with the blood from the wisdom teeth and I actually like he taste of blood (yeah, I'm a vampire), so I dunno why I did that at the time. lol.

Glad you woke up from the anesthesia ;)

Glad you woke up from the anesthesia ;)

Surprisingly flattering... :lol: Thanks. :P

hey yo leet,...pain is subjective and different for each individual,...ive had two normal wisdom extractions that went well, without any problems and took care of the pain with nothing more than motrin 800's as prescribed,...nothing to it,...followed the dentist's directions and did the saltwater gargle and such, no problem...and i still have two non problematic wisdom teeth in my head...when the time comes for those to come out (if ever) it will be the same drill...

hey yo leet,...pain is subjective and different for each individual,...ive had two normal wisdom extractions that went well, without any problems and took care of the pain with nothing more than motrin 800's as prescribed,...nothing to it,...followed the dentist's directions and did the saltwater gargle and such, no problem...and i still have two non problematic wisdom teeth in my head...when the time comes for those to come out (if ever) it will be the same drill...

I thought recovery would be a breeze because I had pain from my car accident, but it really wasn't THAT bad. I concluded that I had a decently high pain tolerance and if I can handle herniated discs, I could handle being knocked out for four extractions. Yeah, nope. My mouth, as it turns out, is a lot more sensitive than my back. That, combined with the fact I threw up and got stomach acid on an open wound was pain like I've never felt and probably will feel again. They gave me percassets, which didn't do anything other than make me lose feeling in my arms and hands, have the most insane hot flashes, and made me throw up.

I thought recovery would be a breeze because I had pain from my car accident, but it really wasn't THAT bad. I concluded that I had a decently high pain tolerance and if I can handle herniated discs, I could handle being knocked out for four extractions. Yeah, nope. My mouth, as it turns out, is a lot more sensitive than my back. That, combined with the fact I threw up and got stomach acid on an open wound was pain like I've never felt and probably will feel again. They gave me percassets, which didn't do anything other than make me lose feeling in my arms and hands, have the most insane hot flashes, and made me throw up.

Yeah, everything is all relative.

When I suffered a major concussion skiing (knocked unconscious, then projectile vomiting when I regained consciousness), when I was in the hospital, the doctor asked me how much pain I was in from 1-10, with 10 being the most. I was clearly in a lot of pain, but I answered 6 and he looked at me funny, and he's like "you just hit your head really hard and almost snapped your neck, you sure it's just a six?" and I was like, "Well when you lacerate your liver and feel like your chest caved in, you'd think this was a six too" (that happened to me when I was 15). He let out a little chuckle and said "fair enough." :lol: I was not in a laughing mood at the time though, but now I can laugh about it since I'm alive :lol:

Yeah, everything is all relative.

When I suffered a major concussion skiing (knocked unconscious, then projectile vomiting when I regained consciousness), when I was in the hospital, the doctor asked me how much pain I was in from 1-10, with 10 being the most. I was clearly in a lot of pain, but I answered 6 and he looked at me funny, and he's like "you just hit your head really hard and almost snapped your neck, you sure it's just a six?" and I was like, "Well when you lacerate your liver and feel like your chest caved in, you'd think this was a six too" (that happened to me when I was 15). He let out a little chuckle and said "fair enough." :lol: I was not in a laughing mood at the time though, but now I can laugh about it since I'm alive :lol:

That's pretty funny. :lol: The ambulance people had a similar reaction when I told them I was at a 5 in pain after my accident. They asked why they had come if my pain was so low, and I explained that having an arm torn off would probably hurt a lot more than a car accident (both my arms are still attached, thankfully). Kind of wish I had someone to drive me to the hospital, though, that shit was expensive!