Wisdom teeth

Onion

I'm getting all four extracted tomorrow morning, and I'm kind of freaking out all of a sudden. Has anyone had it done? How bad is it? I'm getting a general anesthesia because the bottom two are touching the nerve already, and I've got a really strong gag reflex. How bad is it waking up from anesthesia? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had it done since I lack wisdom teeth entirely, but everything I've heard isn't fun.

Per the anesthesia bit, I did have to go under for an endoscopy once. Went to sleep without realizing it, and when I woke up I was in a different part of the building and 45 minutes were gone. Didn't have any weird effects, but eating was out of the equation for a few hours. You won't have to worry about that because you'll basically be eating Jell-O afterwards, but still, my experience with anesthesia was a pleasant one. It affects people differently, so don't expect yours to be the same as mine or anyone else.

Pain like you have never felt before, Nausea and tasting copper for weeks. J/K but depending on how good the surgeon is you can hurt and bleed or you can hurt less and bleed less.  You will have pain no doubt about it. Everyone handles anesthesia differently. ME I have no problems. My wife comes out with viscous migraines.  

Is it common to be knocked out for hours on end because of the anesthesia? My brother was under general anesthesia twice in the past month for a hand surgery (getting pins put in, and then getting them removed), and both times he was out for nearly six hours. He said the anesthesia wasn't bad at all and he actually enjoyed it. I hope that part carries true through the family, but I really hope I'm not out for too long. My fiancee said it wasn't all that bad for her when she had a bolt put in her wrist. On the other side of the spectrum, though, my mom gets really sick and vomits for hours after waking up. Fingers crossed, I guess... Not looking forward to this at all. :lol:

I can't remember what it was like when I got my tonsils out, but that's the only time I can remember being knocked out for surgery. I did have 1 wisdom tooth removed that the local anesthetic didn't work. I had an infection under the tooth that we didn't know about. My dentist also missed a root in the xrays. It hurt like hell having a tooth surgically removed under very little anesthetic even though there had been numerous injections. The dentist was apologizing the whole time he knew i was in pain, but it was to late to stop. He found the infection after he split the tooth. In a way it was kind of funny since we had talked about me going to an oral surgeon and being put under for the removal. He did say he wished that was they way it had happened as I wouldn't have felt as much pain. He was also very amazed I didn't pass out because of the pain. I never shed a tear or yelled while I was in the chair, but once I was in my truck I let it all out. I hurt for about a week after that, and I don't ever care to be in that much pain ever again.

4 in one shot? Are you really in such an emergency state?
I hope you will see a surgeon instead of a dentist, as surgeons are WAY (but WAY) more efficient to remove a wisdom tooth.

Don't believe me? I saw a otolaryngologist that could remove a tooth in 10 minutes TOPS compared to half an hour for a dentist.

I dunno HOW you'll be able to chew or swallow, as normally (no offense) you remove those teeth one side at a time to keep food OUT of the hole
left by the missing tooth. Take note: it IS a good idea to wake yourself up in the night to take painkillers. Otherwise, the pain will strike
you really hard the next morning. Another hard earned lesson.

Never had it done since I lack wisdom teeth entirely

Same, but my cousin had it done. It is painful, but at least you get to enjoy lots of ice cream afterwards :P

4 in one shot? Are you really in such an emergency state?

I hope you will see a surgeon instead of a dentist, as surgeons are WAY (but WAY) more efficient to remove a wisdom tooth.

Don't believe me? I saw a otolaryngologist that could remove a tooth in 10 minutes TOPS compared to half an hour for a dentist.

I dunno HOW you'll be able to chew or swallow, as normally (no offense) you remove those teeth one side at a time to keep food OUT of the hole

left by the missing tooth. Take note: it IS a good idea to wake yourself up in the night to take painkillers. Otherwise, the pain will strike

you really hard the next morning. Another hard earned lesson.

^+1

my aunt and her son are both dentists/orthodontists. never seen both of them did such procedure extracting 4 wisdom teeth in 1 shot.

regarding with the procedure; not a big deal for them doing it unless they are "horizontally impacted wisdom tooth" which are in need with a more complex surgery procedure as compared with the less complicated ones. they have to make some incisions within the jaw/bone in order to extract a horizontally impacted tooth.

prolonged  post operation recovery with the impacted ones is the only difference with the regular tooth extraction due to the extent of the incisions had done. and yes there's so much pain but not a big deal imo.

Edited by sword_fish

I got the 2 left ones extracted last year. I refused to be completely put under and the local freezing did the job. Keep some good pain killers, and I mean the heavy stuff at hand. If you are taking all 4 at once it might be a bit tough to eat for a couple weeks. Good luck anyway and fast healing!

Is it common to be knocked out for hours on end because of the anesthesia? My brother was under general anesthesia twice in the past month for a hand surgery (getting pins put in, and then getting them removed), and both times he was out for nearly six hours. He said the anesthesia wasn't bad at all and he actually enjoyed it. I hope that part carries true through the family, but I really hope I'm not out for too long. My fiancee said it wasn't all that bad for her when she had a bolt put in her wrist. On the other side of the spectrum, though, my mom gets really sick and vomits for hours after waking up. Fingers crossed, I guess... Not looking forward to this at all. :lol:

I was out for a few hours after they took out my appendix, and then it took me forever to get it out of my system. Nausea, grogginess, dizzy, and general blehhh feeling for most of the day.

One thing to avoid at all cost is dry socket.  Your surgeon will give you instructions on how to avoid (no sucking through straws, no smoking, keep the socket well aerated and clean etc.)  I can't emphasize this enough.  If you get a bad case of dry socket you will want to blow your head off.