Why hasn't this caught on?

It occurred to me a few years back (like almost 10) that it would be nice if NIc's, ECT could/should have a small memory module containing basic drivers. Trying to find the CD for these things if you need to re install an old nic blows and sucks at the same time. The same goes for finding drivers online, if you do not have toe model & verson # handy.. But wait this is a network interface card we are talking about.Fast forwarding... I bought a Magic Jack. These USB devices DO contain drivers and contained in onboard memory. No installation CD required. Hey its a novel idea.

:huh: huh

He's referring to plug n' play.

It hasn't caught on because everyone can download software now, like steam and such. The need for physical media is quickly dying.

How are you going to download drivers for a NIC or WiFi card, if it needs drivers to even connect to the internet haha. From my experience Windows install disc doesn't have all the basic network drivers to pre-install. You still need to grab drivers from elsewhere. He's not asking for physical media.

Edited by AZNguyen

What confuses me is that Windows 8 didn't have LAN drivers natively but had a usb wireless stick which I used to download the drivers...thought they'd have a generic non optimized but functional LAN driver.

not all of them. I have 890X boards that win7 doesnt even have generic drivers for and I seem to forget that every time i re-install and have to run to another PC to get them...lol

I say the Drivers should be included on the Firmware or Bios of whatever device....

What confuses me is that Windows 8 didn't have LAN drivers naively but had a usb wireless stick which I used to download the drivers...thought they'd have a generic non optimized but functional LAN driver.

Precisely!

not all of them. I have 890X boards that win7 doesn't even have generic drivers for and I seem to forget that every time i re-install and have to run to another PC to get them...lol

I say the Drivers should be included on the Firmware or Bios of whatever device....

This is pretty much what I am trying to say. Especially in the case of a nic or w-nic. How are you supposed to get online to d/l what you need if you do not have an internet connection? Please leave your six other rigs and laptop out of the conversation for now. :)

Side note: Way back at CES '07 Uber where talking about prototyping an internal USB (meaning it would plug into an internal USB header on the mobo), what could bopt DSM or something similar & store basic default drivers. and enhance "out of the box" functionally.

It'd cost too much. Now if they'd just send a crappy 1 GB thumb drive with software on it I'd be happy...optical drives don't exist on any of my machines.

It'd cost too much. Now if they'd just send a crappy 1 GB thumb drive with software on it I'd be happy...optical drives don't exist on any of my machines.

I made my own, I have every driver I need for mine and the wife's rig on a 2 gb 6 dollar flash drive, even for video cards and wireless usb devices,saves a lot of time on a clean reinstall. The only thing I still have to do is make a slip stream windows7 usb drive with all the updates and drivers on that,lol, been meaning to do that for 3 years now. :wallbash:

Yeah I'd say have that 1GB or so of CHEAP memory on the board with all the drivers on there and then make it a standard (like the switch to UEFI bioses) where windows would call upon that sector and then install all of the drivers automatically (during the initial install) and then check for newer ones on windows update but ask to install them first (in case you wanted more up to date ones direct from the manufacturer).