Why hasn't this caught on?

you sure? and yep :)

Also, do you really want another thing to break or have terrible software associated with it?

A crappy thumb drive with some initial drivers would be fine with me and cost essentially nothing.

Yeah I'd say have that 1GB or so of CHEAP memory on the board with all the drivers on there and then make it a standard (like the switch to UEFI bioses) where windows would call upon that sector and then install all of the drivers automatically (during the initial install) and then check for newer ones on windows update but ask to install them first (in case you wanted more up to date ones direct from the manufacturer).

GIVE THIS MAN THE PRIZE!

Besides, fewed CD in out landfills. Right?

you sure? and yep :)

Also, do you really want another thing to break or have terrible software associated with it?

A crappy thumb drive with some initial drivers would be fine with me and cost essentially nothing.

True, I think we have a similar idea but different approaches. :)

Offtopic side note:

On the second windows XP F@H rig I just build the OS bitched about activation after I changed the BIOS date and would not activate. Now, I installed the CHIPSET drivers off the CD. In my experience integrated nic drivers have been part of this package. NOt so this time. So I went through all the call M$ BS before realising that the lan drivers where not installed :smack: So I installed the drivers after the fact and everything is now fine lovely. But... HOW DARE YOU FORCE ME TO PAY ATTENTION AND REMEMBER SHIT?!

My biggest gripe is trying to sift through the minefield of finding a DL site that actually has the driver. You can type in the model and find the name of the driver, but you end up with 20 sites that all say they have it, and when you download it its some proprietary middleware BS that wants to find every out of date driver on your computer and charge you for the updated ones. NO I want the driver you said you had... thats it... just that one. It doesn't even go to this computer. Stop trying to sell me something just because the manufacturer couldn't be bothered to stay in business / keep their website updated with legacy drivers.

Yeah I'd say have that 1GB or so of CHEAP memory on the board with all the drivers on there and then make it a standard (like the switch to UEFI bioses) where windows would call upon that sector and then install all of the drivers automatically (during the initial install) and then check for newer ones on windows update but ask to install them first (in case you wanted more up to date ones direct from the manufacturer).

GIVE THIS MAN THE PRIZE!

Besides, fewed CD in out landfills. Right?

*Takes a bow*

I agree, I'd love this breakthrough. Normal and Power users would love it because it'd make windows have the simpler driver experience like an Apple computer (except periodic video driver enhancements)