Went over data cap

So I have had cox communications for several years now and just this month they sent me an email about going over their new data cap of 250Gb. This is ridiculous, I'm a long time customer and there isn't any other way to get internet where I live. Is there anything I can do other than not use the internet as much? I'm already paying almost 50$ a month for the tier I am on and I just upgraded. I refuse to pay another 25$ just to make the cap 500Gb.

I got one of those emails from Cox once.  I'm not sure what I did that month to hit the limit, but I threw the letter away and went about my business.  Haven't had one since and I haven't changed a thing.  I don't monitor my usage at all and we are a bandwidth heavy household.

Usually at least 2 devices viewing Netflix in the evening, some P2P going on, lots of gaming, iTunes downloads etc. (there are four bandwidth users in the home most of the time).

If you do large volumes of web browsing, you may be interested in using Opera Mini on any WiFi-enabled tablets etc. you have, enabling the Turbo mode essentially compresses pages before sending them to you. It can actually save a fair bit of data from my experience.

250G is a ton of data. I call BS on their part.

I feel as if you would have to be watching Netflix 24/7 and pirating every new game and music on the internet for a whole month to get this.

They (ISP/Politicians) have us by the balls, my unlimited service for years went to the 250gb cap also.. I cant run my ip cameras, cant do shit. I filed a complaint with the FCC but they dont do nothing sent a copy of my complaint to the ISP which I had already talked to anyway complaining.

The ISP sent them a letter telling them they felt I understood the new plans and cap limits what does FCC do? Send me a copy of that, all they done was relay our letters to each other playing the middle man.. There to busy fining americans for not using there call letters on a radio or some stupid shit to do anything worth while.

Dont sign up for the national do not call list either, that database must look like swiss chesse from all the hackers based on the calls I get after signing up... Everythings going to hell in a hand basket...

Former FCC chair: ISP data caps are about monetization, not network congestion

http://www.techspot.com/news/51392-former-fcc-chair-isp-data-caps-are-about-monetization-not-network-congestion.html

Edited by road-runner