Complete System Instability

I'll probably do it over the weekend as I've got a load of mock exams this week that don't actually mean anything but everyone makes a big thing about, so I've got to at least pretend to put some effort in  :tongue:

Please scroll down to see thread summary so far

Edited by EuroFight

Following wevsspot's advice, I ran my rig on my motherboard box, and as he said, rig ran perfectly

Unfortunately I got the same issue I've always had with a BSOD (first time) then a CTD (second time) when playing Metro 2033 about 2 seconds into the gameplay...

Sorry to hear that Euro.  This thread is getting pretty long, and I think it might be of benefit for you to summarize (itemize) everything you've done up to this point.  Maybe being able to see everything you've attempted in a single string would bring a set of fresh eyes to the issue.  Just a thought.  I know it would help me  :)

Good idea wev  :thumbsup:

Thread summary:

I built an AMD FX-based rig earlier this year, and have had a number of issues with crash-to-desktops, blue screens and the system locking up with a blur on the screen. CPU is OCCT, Prime95 stable, however the system will fail 3DMark 11 and other GPU tests.

The following components have been replaced

- Graphics card (twice)

- RAM modules (same brand)

- Power Supply (got rid of el-cheapo)

- Motherboard (RMA'd)

The remaining original components are 

- Processor (new with rig)

- Hard-drive (used, worked in my old rig, passed SMART, Seagate Self Test)

- Wireless card (used, sometimes temperamental, no difference when not plugged in)

I have also attempted the following fixes

Software

- Memtest86/+ (no errors)

- Reinstalled Windows

- Updated drivers (various versions of Catalyst 8, 10, 12)

- Analysed BSODs (all atikmpak.sys failures)

- Removed audio drivers/reinstalled/updated

- Updated motherboard BIOS

Hardware

- Run rig outside case

- Underclocked card (tried on all 3)

- Run the system with different keyboard/mouse, without ODD, Wireless Card, nothing but essentials)

- Replaced SATA cable

- Increased CPU VCORE

I am completely clueless as to the issue here, if anybody has any suggestions, fixes, or any more information, please let me know, I'd really appreciate your input  :D

Thanks in advance for any responses  :cheers:

- Euro

Edited by EuroFight

Thought someone was gonna say that...I'm not sure I even have a nVidia GPU in my house...I'll have a look around...

Update: Okay found one - PNY GeForce 6200...only AGP  :(

Update 2: E-mailed AMD about the graphics issue to see what they say about it...now for waiting...

Edited by EuroFight

That's true. I'm going to have one more check of a stick of another brand of RAM, if that doesn't solve anything, I'll get a cheap nVidia card and test it with that. I'm reluctant to take it to a tech shop as I don't really like them ripping people off (technically I'm banned from one of their stores but that's a story for another day) but if none of the previous fixes solves the problem, I'll probably take the chip down there to test it.

I've also currently got a support ticket out with AMD asking about any issues with compatibility with the spec I have, and I'll also ask them if there are any reported issues with my chip's batch number they can let me know of, just in case. In reality, they can't really blame it on anyone else (if the RAM fix doesn't work that is) because the two things that could be causing the issue, processor and graphics card, are both AMD.

Anyway, cheers for the info everyone, I'll update the thread when I get any progress. If anyone else has any more suggestions that haven't already been mentioned please feel free to continue posting them, I'll check this thread often

:thumbsup: