Complete System Instability

AMD have offered an RMA on the processor, as it is basically the only thing left of the original system, providing the same issue recurs with the stick of RAM I will borrow.

I also have some thermal paste with a conductivity of 1.22W m.k., does this sound okay for a stock clocked FX-6100?

Cheers,

- Euro

AMD have offered an RMA on the processor, as it is basically the only thing left of the original system, providing the same issue recurs with the stick of RAM I will borrow.

I also have some thermal paste with a conductivity of 1.22W m.k., does this sound okay for a stock clocked FX-6100?

Cheers,

- Euro

that is good news. I hope this ends the issue.... Im sure it will given everything around it has been replaced.

To be honest any decent brand name termal paste will work if applied properly with a decent cooler, lately I just use whatever comes with the cooler, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Awesome - thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind :)

To be honest any decent brand name termal paste will work if applied properly with a decent cooler, lately I just use whatever comes with the cooler, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Yup, this!

Hopefully you get a 6300 :P

Doubt they would send me an upgrade :P 

that is good news. I hope this ends the issue.... Im sure it will given everything around it has been replaced.

Aha, now this is for the explaination;

The issue appears to have been caused by memory. I have no idea how or why, but swapping out the 2x4GB sticks and replacing them with a 1GB stick borrowed from my school system administrator seemed to do the trick, with the system passing 3DMark 11 without crashing (yeah I know x64 should ideally have 2GB of RAM, but I only had 1GB). After replacing the RAM, there were no crashes (I couldn't test in games because it was too slow, but it used to crash during the tests  :doh: )

So it looks like I'll order some Corsair Vengance when I get back from holiday in January and hopefully that will solve all my issues  :woot:

I don't think I'll bother contacting GoodRAM as I don't want any replacement from them, so I will probably just have to bite the bullet in this one.

To everyone that suggested memory was the issue: Thank you!  :D 

Oh and before anyone asks, the 3DMark 11 score was P1213 with the FX-6100 and HD5570 that was in the rig at the time of the test

Edited by EuroFight

I don't want to burst your bubble Euro, but testing with 1 stick of ram dosen't mean the cpu is good, if the memory controller is faulty it would probably not act up with just 1 stick, you should still test it with more than only 1 stick, at least 2 and if possible 4.

I don't want to burst your bubble Euro, but testing with 1 stick of ram dosen't mean the cpu is good, if the memory controller is faulty it would probably not act up with just 1 stick, you should still test it with more than only 1 stick, at least 2 and if possible 4.

I was gonna post an in your face AMD is perfect etc post until I read this :(

I was gonna post an in your face AMD is perfect etc post until I read this :(

Gee Dan, sorry I hurt your feelings. :(

I tried a different stick, same manufacturer, so I guess GoodRAM just sucks :lol:

Also I have tested the rig with each of the sticks individually so I doubt it had something to do with the sticks running in single channel mode.

If I do experience issues with the Corsair RAM, I can still accept the RMA and use 16GB :evilgrin:

Thank you all for voicing your concerns though :thumbsup:

Well i have experienced where a set.of.memory did not get along with a specific chip yet did fine with another before. Just keep us in the loop aa i want to see an end to this.

I wasn't planning on leaving you all without a resolution :lol:

Just bear in mind I'll be on holiday for the next 2 weeks so you probably won't hear from me 'till January  :wave: