Complete System Instability

Ya tried a different hdd and fresh install of windows with no proper drivers, just windows drivers?

Try it in a different room and plug without multi socket thing

Check is you got any of the crap

http://answers.micro...82-ed8e583d9486

Heat related? Read through..

http://www.sevenforu...treaming-4.html

Updated BIOS?

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Cheers for the links Dan, very interesting, particularly the one about cooling. After disabling smart fan control in the BIOS, I have had no BSODs just a single CTD, so it could be heat related, especially considering my motherboard by default lowers voltage before lowering fan speeds. I'll try and get hold of some Arctic MX-5 thermal paste sometime next week, but my system is much more stable at the moment with fans at 100%. The thing that threw me was the fact the cores were reporting stupidly low temperatures (12C at idle with 24C ambient air temp anyone?). Note to anyone else: Don't trust AMD processor reported core temperatures. They lie. nono.gif

I'll report back when I reapply thermal paste anyway, hopefully it will solve the issue. Fingers crossed. ermm.gif

Just a thought: I should get this case:

huge_fan_cooled_case_mod.jpg

Edited by EuroFight

Suddenly not so sure about the temperature thing, today my system has had a number of BSODs, CTDs and points where the entire screen is filled with a blur of colours, and a constant buzz comes from the speakers.

The BSOD minidumps indicate crashes from:

- 1x Ntfs.sys

- 3x atikmdag.sys (all BSODs)

- 1x dxgmms1.sys

- 1x notoskrnl.exe

Update 15:56: Just thought the sound from the speakers occurs at around 50-60Hz, which would be exactly the same frequency as the AC power supply in the UK...I'm gonna try plugging my rig into another socket...

Update 17:02: No difference

Update 17:16: Underclocked RAM to 1066MHz

Update 17:31: No difference

Edited by EuroFight

Yeah you were right, even a different power socket and my PC still crashes dry.gif

I don't know if this makes any difference, but when I underclocked my RAM to 1066MHz, set the memory controllers in the CPU to unganged, and turned interleaving off, Windows didn't show some of my icons on the desktop, and after a reboot there were no icons, and Windows Explorer kept crashing and restarting. Would this point to anything being amiss?

Edited by EuroFight

Just checked running my rig with just keyboard, mouse and monitor connected (PCI WiFi Card Removed) and got a CTD while playing BF3

Can anyone give me any info about running my rig outside my case (test bed I think it's called) to check if nothing is shorting out on my case, and to make it easier to diagnose any visible issues

Cheers

- Euro

That works if you don't have a test bench.  And in fact you can test it on about any hard surface.  Just don't lay the board down on a piece of carpet or the likes  :)    But definitely using the AS bag is the safest option.  I'm lazy sometimes, I just grab the original motherboard box and set the board on top of that.  Provides a handy overhang for the tabs on the video card or other PCIe / PCI devices you might have plugged in.

Other than that there isn't any magic behind it.  Just disassemble the parts from your case, reassemble the bare minimum parts outside the case.  Plug your power supply in and start your test.  If your motherboard doesn't have an onboard power switch you'll need to momentarily jumper the +/- pins for front panel power switch to get the rig to fire up.  Just find the correct pins on the motherboard header and momentarily short them together using a small screw driver.  (Careful not to short anything else or the wrong pins in the process  :))