How many people are getting Windows 8?

MJCRO

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

still at the point where im still lazy to up for win 8. the reviews are tied up though. win 8 favors tablets and laptops, desktop reviews are different. still confuse if its worth an up from win 7 to 8? 

Forget the reviews for a moment and just try it, in a virtual environment or whatever

• 2 weeks later...

No plans on getting it. Still likes my Vista Ultimate on my gaming rig, no problems there. My utility desktop also is running Vista, no complaints. I bought a used 17" hp laptop a couple of weeks ago and the person I bought it from installed Windows 8 Pro 64 on it, after taking three hours to find  the right gpu driver on the net, it looks much better now. It used to take more than almost two minute to boot from when I press the power button to Start menu, now it takes 20-25 seconds to boot up from pressing power button to actual Start menu, this after a bit of tweaking the registry and what not. I also installed Classic Shell, free stuff, to get a classic start menu, and really like it. So far, I have to be honest, when it comes to media stuff which is the primary funciton of this laptop, I am really happy with Windows 8. I like the fact that I can revert to Classic Start/Metro with a click of a button. But as far as buying it, no for me.

• 2 months later...

As much as I dont like it my Core i7 SSD equipped laptop boots to desktop in between 8 and 9 seconds. About as close to instant on as I have seen with a laptop. The UI and navigation are still troublesome for me but once I learn my way around it should not prove that bad off actually. I played with the beta releases and did not like it but it is strangely growing on me. 

Nope never getting win 8 unless they make major changes for the better down the line. 

I am curious what major changes they need to make? Windows 8 is leaner and faster than Windows . It is rock stable, better than pretty much any other OS launch as far as stability. Has a number of features, especially in Explorer that are better than Windows 7. So what "major" changes needs to be made?

Windows 8 sucks and is a big fail for the Desktop User so I will never upgrade to it for sure.

Can you please provide specific examples of the "suck" you mentioned?

Edited by ComputerEd

I'm quite tempted to try it actually. Is Windows 8 really that bad? Do people say they don't like it because they're expected to say they don't like it without actually giving it try?

Windows 7 does everything I need at the moment but I will give it a try at some point.

I'm quite tempted to try it actually. Is Windows 8 really that bad? Do people say they don't like it because they're expected to say they don't like it without actually giving it try?

Windows 7 does everything I need at the moment but I will give it a try at some point.

Its just drastically different in how you move around in the UI. It is touch screen optimized so working through it without one takes a different approach. 

Different is the key word and people myself included are sometimes resistant to change.

Its just drastically different in how you move around in the UI. It is touch screen optimized so working through it without one takes a different approach. 

Different is the key word and people myself included are sometimes resistant to change.

This is a fact I'm using Server 2012 along side Ubuntu with gnome 3.6 in which both pretty much have very similar UI actions somethings are awesome some you will find yourself asking "wtf" i like it its peppy but so is windows 7 so to each their own.  I just feel like you cant knock it till you've test drove it for at least a week.

I have found it works better for basic users like grandparents and small kids. Put just what they need access to on the Start Screen and they are all set. I have also found that on my TV when I use a PC I like the Start Screen better, easier to move around.

Oh really.

We have had close to 70 laptops returned from old folks. So far I have not met one old person that has enjoyed it at all. They either want a Win 7 Laptop or 8 deleted and Win 7 installed.

Its frusting and very time consuming :(