Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

I forgot to reply to these posts:

Gimme my good ol' desktop pc any day. It may not be able to fit in my pocket but then I don't need it to.

:withstupid:

Agree, that is why I am not too concerned with being able to root a phone. To me a phone needs to be a phone. Not like I am trying to hack into the vending machine with my phone to get a free soda.

Got HTC One X, and simply love it!!

Good to hear! The HTC One X was high on my list until I found out they are coming out with a new HTC phone sometime soon ...but no news outside of that.

I Like the S3 but its kid in front of the NOTE II its the best due to the screen size and portability

Lotta S3 lovers - definitely gotta mean something. Thanks for the response.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only use my phone frequently when I'm doing basic stuff that a dumbphone can do: sending messages and placing/receiving calls. So, if I were to put up a chart, Calls and Texting/IMs would make up ~85% of my phone usage and ~10% would be browsing on the go and probably ~3% to take some quick shots. That only leaves another ~2% that comprises of rooting/jailbreaking, tweaking, exploring, playing, watching and making use of it's unique features.

So here's the question I've been trying to answer since last night:

Usability wise, why would I need to spend $700 on a Smartphone when I only need <$200 for a slightly "smarter" dumbpohne or an "Entry-level" smartphone that satisfies 95% of my "Phone-ing" needs?

Now, I'm finding the Razr M attractive for it's simple design, features and specification.

Didn't mean to rant but just sharing my thoughts.

:cheers:

This is exactly why I have held off for so long getting a smart phone, and this is exactly the kind of conversation I like to see in the topic. One-liners are okay, but posts like this actually mean something. For us Americans, its not just the cost of the phone but a data plan is what drains your banks - $30 / month.

Sprint

- 450 min (anytime)

- Unlimited Texting

- Unlimited Data

= $80 /mo ...before taxes and such, so probably close $100 / month.

Sprint currently has the best plan. But they are still on 3G ...and if I were to go IP5 I could not do voice and data simultaneously. I need to find out about the other phones if they have that constraint too. Not only that I'm still not sure who will offer the Nokia Lumia 920.

When AT&T bought them I switched to Verizon, and then later switched to Sprint. I wasn't overwhelmed with either and Sprint was a real issue when I was traveling extensively back in my automotive industry days. I ended up switching back to AT&T and have been with them since.

What did you not like about Sprint?

If I had the sort of cash lying around that would enable me to buy a new new cellphone, I'd be an iPhone 5 - without a contract. In the UK at least it works out cheaper over the phone's lifetime to buy the handset outright and get a separate SIM-only contract.

Why?

I use a bunch of apps that are iOS only, and (maybe I'm getting old) I don't like messing about with rooting and all that business anymore, plus the convenience of service at the Apple store is great.

I would consider a Windows based handset, and I really like the design of the UI, plus the Nokia models - but they have none of the apps that I regularly use on there.

Plus every Android handset I've had, or a friend has had (including all the Galaxy range models) has broken.

Same - I could really care less about rooting. It's just not even a factor to me. Not even sure why I put it on my like/dislike lists to be honest. I suppose its nice if its an option but its definitely not going into my decision making.

You do bring up an excellent point about the apps. I need to find out which apps I want and if the Nokia 920 will suport them. I'm pretty sure my needs will be covered by Droid/iOS as most of the phones I see daily are droid/iphones ...mostly droids. But I haven't seen one Windows phone so I need to find out what they offer as far as apps go.

I've read about / around that the Nokia 920 is supposedly a sweet phone if you like W8.

Yup, its been mentioned and I updated the OP so check out the OP to see the specs of Nokia Lumia 920 and the Xperia T. I had to update the format to save some space and I want the data I compiled to pop so when I look at it again it is easier for me to decide. :)

While the domestic S3 is only dual core instead of quad, I think it's important to mention that it also has 2GB of RAM as opposed to the international version's 1GB. I think that's a worthy tradeoff, and not sure if it was mentioned here yet (even after a quick skim through the posts).

I know but it is most definitely worth mentioning, I agree. :)

I have the nexus and my wife got the S3.. Love the S3.. Co-worker ahs the iphone 5.. does not like it that much.. II would have chosen the Note 10.2 in a heartbeat but it is only on at&t I think...

Looking for something smaller but thanks.

lol if it means anything I pay 55.00 a month for Cricket on 3G with unlimited everything... but they say it has a 1GB cap on internet data use... never hit it... supposedly it just slows it way down after hitting 1GB... never noticed. have use a crap ton of apps though :)

Not rooted or modded

This is exactly why I have held off for so long getting a smart phone, and this is exactly the kind of conversation I like to see in the topic. One-liners are okay, but posts like this actually mean something. For us Americans, its not just the cost of the phone but a data plan is what drains your banks - $30 / month.

Sprint

- 450 min (anytime)

- Unlimited Texting

- Unlimited Data

= $80 /mo ...before taxes and such, so probably close $100 / month.

Sprint currently has the best plan. But they are still on 3G ...and if I were to go IP5 I could not do voice and data simultaneously. I need to find out about the other phones if they have that constraint too. Not only that I'm still not sure who will offer the Nokia Lumia 920.

It's about $87 after taxes, that's the plan I ran with until I combined with my girlfriend to get 1500 minutes (WAAAY more then we need but it was the lowest "family" option) so now it's $82.50 a person after taxes.

I hope you aren't talking about foxxcon and apple... :pfp:

If you are I bet ya can find something manufactured by foxxcon on your mobo

Besides Apple there are a lot of big name companies that use Foxconn to manufacture and/or assemble their products. Some of the bigger names include Acer, ASRock, ASUS, Amazon, Dell, Cisco, HP, Intel, Motorola, Microsoft, Logitech, Sony, MSI, Motorola, Netgear, Nintendo, and Toshiba. Chances are your cell phone, laptop, gaming console, TV, and PC motherboard were assembled in a Foxconn facility. People can say what they want about the Apple-Foxconn relationship, but at least Apple has stepped up and tried to help out via the Fair Labor Association and audits. I don't know if it has really helped anything, and recent riots would indicate that it hasn't. Is Apple really at fault? Or are they just a piece of the problem? IMO the biggest problem is not the tech companies, or even really Foxconn, but instead the government of China.

Even Samsung has been accused of child labor / sweatshops in its own facilities.

To add to what you said d3bruts1d foxxcon is actually are rather good country which gets some bad press. It does more for its employees than other companies. Not to mention it pretty much employs a small nation worth of workers and has a suicide rate far far far lower than the average in China and even lower than that in the US.

Was annoyed this morning when I heard them going on about foxxcon on the news :pfp:

There have been people that have gone in as employees and the conditions there living and working are more than acceptable for a first world country and its not the sweat shop full of kids it is portrayed as.

Although keep bashing Apple that's always fun :lol:

To add to what you said d3bruts1d foxxcon is actually are rather good country which gets some bad press. It does more for its employees than other companies. Not to mention it pretty much employs a small nation worth of workers and has a suicide rate far far far lower than the average in China and even lower than that in the US.

Was annoyed this morning when I heard them going on about foxxcon on the news :pfp:

There have been people that have gone in as employees and the conditions there living and working are more than acceptable for a first world country and its not the sweat shop full of kids it is portrayed as.

To add on:

The Media LOVES failures, especially on big companies, events, etc. That's how they get viewers. That's how they get their ratings. That's how they get their money.

Some proof? Read recent media coverages on American Airline's bankruptcy.

(I pity the loyal customers of that airline, not because they're being screwed by the management, but because they're also equally screwed by the pilots.)

Maybe we should try and bash up Samsung or HTC for a change and see if it's also equally as fun :lol: