Fogel

Smart Phone Comparison

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

That was not what I meant.. The longer you take to decide, more options would be released, and you'll take a longer time to decide, and newer poducts would be released... :no:

To be honest, that was the goal all along. I waited on purpose to see what the IP5 would bring. Then I saw Nokia 920 and Xperia T and figured I would wait till those launched. Though I decided that I don't want a W8 phone even though the Lumia 920 looks like it will be a good phone. My excitement for the Xperia T has been replaced by the LG Optimus G.

So now decision is boiling down to the provider. If I decide I'm ok with 3G speeds, I'm gonna go with the LG Optimus G and Sprint. If I decide to stick with Verizon for their 4G LTE and coverage than it is between the S3 and IP5. The coverage on Verizon is definitely huge as you can be out in the sticks and still have coverage in some areas. Right now I am thinking of sticking with Verizon. In fact, I want to call them and see what they would do to keep me as a customer. From my friends who had Sprint I know Sprint will work with you but I'm guessing Verizon will say, GTFO.

OS is main factor for me, with android you have larger number of software. Price is a factor also. size is good but S3 might be too big for some, or not.

My advice to you is try to check them in a show room and test them, you might only need 5 min to hate a phone, no matter how good the reviews are.

You saw this? samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5.jpeg I mean a small feature might attract you, S3 seem to be loaded.

Last thing, you might want to consider Nokia's latest phone Lumia 920, they're trying hard to get a share.

I don't like smartphones. They have too much things and overall they all have BAD battery life. My phone have 50hs+ use and 3 year old.. I will better acquire an iPod so I have 40hs iPod + 50hs Phone iPod is awesome you can do everything..

Oh I almost forgot.. the image is ridiculous, typical propaganda bro. The comparisson starts doing a hardware review and they end listing all S3 things that can be done by software. It's a cheat just to show a lnoger list.

Even without the longer list, the galaxy is superior in every way (I won't compare ios 6 to ICS, but personally, I think ICS destroys ios 6) provided you like the bigger screen (I love it) and don't mind the slightly higher weight (which I like as well, it feels more stable in the hand, and less prone to being dropped).

Even without the longer list, the galaxy is superior in every way (I won't compare ios 6 to ICS, but personally, I think ICS destroys ios 6) provided you like the bigger screen (I love it) and don't mind the slightly higher weight (which I like as well, it feels more stable in the hand, and less prone to being dropped).

It is most definitely not superior in every way. Even the pro-Android websites I read wouldn't make that claim. If it was superior in every way I would have already made up my mind and picked S3 since that is the way I was leaning before I even started this topic.

Even S3 with JB didn't get the upgrade I was expecting. Battery life improved so the S3 is at least competitive in that area now so that's good. But Android still hasn't fixed that lag. Even the new LG Optimus G will have that lag, which is depressing when you consider how nice the hardware is.

You disagree with my claim and present no rebuttal...

By the way I have no idea what lag you're talking about. I'm on an S II with CM9 and it runs better than my iphone 4 ever did. I put my mom's S III on a custom ROM as well and it runs smooth as butter. The stock S III runs better than my CM9 S II which is fast as hell compared to stock.

This site is pretty awesome and provides what I think are the fairest reviews even though I think they are a little more pro-Android than anything else (windows/apple). Whatever way they swing, what I like about this site is it provides videos of people running through the phone and more than just swapping desktops but most of the included apps.

GSMArena - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Official Jelly Bean ROM

The video starts out by saying the S3 has always been buttery smooth but it is only showing swapping desktops while it is saying it. When it moves to more demanding tasks than swapping desktops you can see the lag. I've played with the S3 both in a Verizon store and my friend's so I felt it myself. I was praying JB would fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Qc1GmNuNE

It is smooth up until about 1:50.

GSMArena - LG Optimus G

Once this phone gets JB it will make the S3 look irrelevant - that is my opinion tho. :teehee:

You can see the ICS lag more apparent here so there is definitely an upgrade going from ICS to JB, but I was expecting a better one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTVvDEuQ4A

Edited by Fogel

You disagree with my claim and present no rebuttal...

I was trying to avoid a list because I know no one likes them here and everyone hates the IP5 because that is the cool thing to do, but here you go since you requested.

IP5 is better than the S3 on these points:

•  
  • iOS is favored by developers so the apps are always better
  • Larger selection of apps
  • Screen quality is better, retina hype aside ...it is better
  • Easier to use 1-handed
  • Voice commanding is better than google talk
  • Smoother UI - it is buttery smooth
  • Better Battery Life

S3 is better than the IP5 on these points:

•  
  • Removeable Battery
  • Android O/S ...which means open source
  • SD Card Support
  • Bigger Screen
  • Better quality photos
  • More Free apps for Android

Man all this Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich talk lol, does it really matter??

There have been ICS and I think a few JB ROMs for my phone and I don't care, I'm plenty happy with Gingerbread. A good phone is good at its core, Gingerbread has been rock solid for me...I never saw the big hype in chasing the newest versions of Android.

You forgot to mention the [insert Android phone here] doesn't need iTunes

I don't think it matters much either. I only got ICS because it runs so much better for the SGS II as far as I had heard. A lot of bugs got fixed with the update, and the custom rom is win.

Also yes, no iTunes is a big selling point.

Fogel, where did you draw the conclusion that the battery life was better on the iPhone 5? I looked it up, google says otherwise. Also I think the Super Amoled screen on the GS III is better, especially with the higher res.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Truthfully, I had not given ICS and JB a read through on new features here, until now that is....and I still see very little worth upgrading (if they'd even effect me....certainly not anything that'd keep me from picking one phone over another).

Integrated screenshot button combo sounds cool but it's not a huge effort to boot up drocap.

Once this phone gets JB it will make the S3 look irrelevant - that is my opinion tho. :teehee:

You can see the ICS lag more apparent here so there is definitely an upgrade going from ICS to JB, but I was expecting a better one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTVvDEuQ4A

Now I want one :drool:

Fogel, where did you draw the conclusion that the battery life was better on the iPhone 5? I looked it up, google says otherwise. Also I think the Super Amoled screen on the GS III is better, especially with the higher res.

If you read some reviews thoroughly, you'll see that it does have better battery life compared to the S3 (subjected to numerous factors). The S3 doesn't have a significantly better battery life than the iPhone 4 to begin with (4 not 4S). It may have a longer standby time but I can easily drain 100% battery in 3-4 hours when watching movies and playing games (Cellular and Wi-Fi on). My iPhone 4 managed 3 hours under the same circumstances. As I said before, driving a 4.8" display isn't an easy thing to do..