Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

Well $80 a month would be for 6GB/mo, which I'm sure would be way more than I need. Most people I talk to don't even use 2GB/mo. Granted I would be a YouTube fiend and would use more than they do but I just don't know how much data per month I would use.

I have a friend with a GS1, one or two with a GS2 and one or two with a GS3. Any specific requests? My friend with the GS1 really hates his phone so he may upgrade here shortly.

No i mean, that's for Talk+Text+Data(6GB)= $80/month or just Talk+Text+$80= >$80??

As for the direct comparison, I'd say the most accurate (and still inaccurate of course) would be to run speedtest.net's app and then post up their results on 3G (and 4G if they get it there). Whatever you can get with preference to the GS1 since that's what I have (not that it will make an appreciable difference but the closer the variables the better)

Is your GS1 friend rooted?? I love my GS1, and don't have any reason to upgrade (nor have anything to actually upgrade to since I refuse to buy an all touchscreen phone again)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i mean, that's for Talk+Text+Data(6GB)= $80/month or just Talk+Text+$80= >$80??

As for the direct comparison, I'd say the most accurate (and still inaccurate of course) would be to run speedtest.net's app and then post up their results on 3G (and 4G if they get it there). Whatever you can get with preference to the GS1 since that's what I have (not that it will make an appreciable difference but the closer the variables the better)

Is your GS1 friend rooted?? I love my GS1, and don't have any reason to upgrade (nor have anything to actually upgrade to since I refuse to buy an all touchscreen phone again)

It would be: Unlimited Talk + Unlimited Text + 6GB Data = $80 ...assuming the website is correct

My friend with the GS1 most definitely does the same things that people who root their phones do but I don't know if it is rooted or not. I will see him at training tonight so I will ask him. I'm sure he has the speedtest app so I will ask him to test his phone as well, though I am not sure which service he uses. Guess I should ask him since he was says the call quality sucks, but he made it sound like it more of a phone issue than a service issue ...though I will find out more tonight I'm sure.

It would be: Unlimited Talk + Unlimited Text + 6GB Data = $80 ...assuming the website is correct

My friend with the GS1 most definitely does the same things that people who root their phones do but I don't know if it is rooted or not. I will see him at training tonight so I will ask him. I'm sure he has the speedtest app so I will ask him to test his phone as well, though I am not sure which service he uses. Guess I should ask him since he was says the call quality sucks, but he made it sound like it more of a phone issue than a service issue ...though I will find out more tonight I'm sure.

Wow that's competitive enough for me, maybe when my contract's up I'll switch (or get discounted rates through switch scare tactics...since now Verizon does have 4G and stuff so they can't argue that in their favor that "we offer premium 4G service that no one else offers...that never worked otherwise") lol

Yeah find out his results and if he's rooted and on a good rom because with those two things my GS1 has boundless life left in it as far as I'm concerned.

i had to put "other" cuz well call me crazy but i use an lg C900 windows phone with w7 mobile and all updates installed...it might not be one of the super popular ones or the greatest fastest thing ever but it's been practically bulletproof...ive had it over a year now and only replaced a sim card,...i often post here on occ with it when i'm out on the road and cant log on with my puter...pros: it takes fantastic pics, is fast, has great internet abilities is strong, small/compact and durable...cons: takes specialized w7 mobile apps, kinda smaller screen, limited to 16gig memory, only 3g capable and powered by at&t...

kwik edit:...sometimes i wish i had gone for the droid... :wave:

:lol:

...it's because of the multitude of apps available for the droid out there on the market that i sometimes wish i had gone for the droid... a much larger selection and more versatility...honestly, at the time, i thot windows phones were gonna take off in popularity and more stuff would come available, but it didn't happen...

...it's because of the multitude of apps available for the droid out there on the market that i sometimes wish i had gone for the droid... a much larger selection and more versatility...honestly, at the time, i thot windows phones were gonna take off in popularity and more stuff would come available, but it didn't happen...

Yeah I was hoping they did too for a more competitive market that everyone can benefit from (especially with Apple seemingly losing their marbles, the more options the better). It sounds alot like the Palm Pre, I remember I wanted one at first but knew it'd turn into what WP7's have essentially turned into.... a dead end platform with limited first party app support :-/ .

and personally reminds me of the "iPhone killer" I once had, the Samsung InSTINK

samsung-instinct-photos.jpg

Just thought I would dump this here.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23403&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35435&mapcode=consumer%7Cmobile-devices

and

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-tl/

The At&t Xperia TL has been announced. Also looks like it is pulling the whole range of Sony features along with it, so you get a bunch of software layers to give a better looking display, a louder speaker, clearer audio and bass, 3d surround (however the fuck that'll work haha), sweep panorama, sony trackID preinstalled (tis pretty good I use it over shazam and other apps), walkman music app (would be interested to try that myself, and then you got your NFC, aGPS, 4G, USB 2.0 and MHL support, DLNA certified (which is good for the bit where you can use the phone as a media player either wirelessly to a bravia TV or through the HD tv dock).

That is EXACTLY what I am worried with on the Nokia Lumia 920. I love phone but I am not sure I can deal with that tile O/S and if it has limited app support than I will really feel like I am stuck with it. Not to mention it is ugly as sin. Granted as long as the functionality is there I can get by with an ugly phone ...but a bright ugly one? :erm:

It's a shame too because a Windows phone could be that happy medium between Droid an Apple that I am seeking, but it just isn't there yet.

The At&t Xperia TL has been announced. Also looks like it is pulling the whole range of Sony features along with it, so you get a bunch of software layers to give a better looking display, a louder speaker, clearer audio and bass, 3d surround (however the . that'll work haha), sweep panorama, sony trackID preinstalled (tis pretty good I use it over shazam and other apps), walkman music app (would be interested to try that myself, and then you got your NFC, aGPS, 4G, USB 2.0 and MHL support, DLNA certified (which is good for the bit where you can use the phone as a media player either wirelessly to a bravia TV or through the HD tv dock).

The Xperia TL / TX is back on the decision tree. I figure I shouldn't judge something on a preview but more on an actual review. So far the only phone in the consideration list that offers a removeable battery is the S3.

There is one thing that I just don't understand that maybe you can help with. Why do so many sites make such a big deal about NFC? I mean who seriously gives a crap about it? Granted I don't live in a big city but even if I did, I sure wouldn't trust it anyway. There are features that I just don't see myself caring about - phone wallet? GTFO. Sure it would be convienent to use your phone as a boarding pass, but again... I don't think I would trust it. Are they going to start recommending you carry your phone in an alumunium case? :lol:

Wow that's competitive enough for me, maybe when my contract's up I'll switch (or get discounted rates through switch scare tactics...since now Verizon does have 4G and stuff so they can't argue that in their favor that "we offer premium 4G service that no one else offers...that never worked otherwise") lol

Yeah find out his results and if he's rooted and on a good rom because with those two things my GS1 has boundless life left in it as far as I'm concerned.

Well despite being a PC Gamer who frequents torrents (etc.) he did not root his droid ...to which me and another friend gave him hell. He didn't even have the speedtest app. His phone was pretty slow. It was also giving him error messages when he tried installing the app so he gave up. Then my other friend came into the conversation - guess he overheard us talking. He said he has confirmed with his own hardware before that Sprint's 3G is slower than everyone elses 3G. This other friend owns a rooted droid ...which he hates and is also in the market for a new phone so he is in the same exact spot I am. He knows more mobile app and gaming developers than I do and has done some app work himself. So we had an interesting conversation about why I am undecided and why he is undecided. As a rooted droid owner who loves having the ability to root his phone you would think his decision would be a lot simplier than mine (I could care less about rooting) - GS3. But he is still undecided.

He brought up some really good points:

•  
  • "You have the freedom to tweak a droid, which I love, but you also need to tweak a droid. I am always tweaking it to fix battery management making allowances for widgets I want and removing others to compensate for the load. While its fun tweaking it sometimes it is also a burden."

• "I've bricked my phone so many times either trying to root it or tweak to make it run more efficiently. I have litterally operated on it many times to get it working again."

• "My (app developer) friend said, 'that is why I bought an iPhone... so I wouldn't have to do those things.' "

• "There a lot more apps for Apple and they are always better ...the best you can hope for in the droid world is for equal footing. When my company gave me an iPhone 4S and a GS3 to test with the iPhone apps were always better. My friend who develops strictly for mobile apps has 1 iPhone and 1 iPad but 26 android phones he has to test with and he has to test every phone any time a change is made. Sometimes they get so annoyed because something is almost always sacrificed so they will only guarantee something works on certain phones with a specific O/S (i.e. GS3 icecream sandwich works ...but GS3 jellybean does not) and any deviation is risk taken by the user. So now Mobile App developers hate developing for android for this reason, which is why the apps are so fragmented."

Now it almost sounds like he wants an iPhone right? But he has same thoughts I do...

•  
  • "But if you go with Apple, you live in their world and do what they say. I want the ability to make 7 homescreens and customize each one the way I want to! I'm not sure I'm ready to give up that freedom."

Then we also talked about the proprietary crap Apple employs from SW to HW - iOS, dock connectors to iTunes.

He and I think a LOT alike. He follows both sides to see what both sides have to offer rather than immediately discounting either/both sides.

As it stands, Apple offers the better hardware that isn't phased out in 6 months like droid (Motorola being the worst offender) and it offers the better software (iOS is stable and so are the apps ...also bigger selection of apps).

For Droid, you have the freedom to tweak your phone as you wish. It can be both a benefit and a curse but that freedom is there. The hardware is more universal so you even if you have a GS3 and your friend has a Moto you can borrow his charger at work. Also you are only going to get the freedom of removable batteries and SD Cards with Droid. Which means droid hardware wins on available options.

So both sides have really compelling things that make them appealing. Both of us are completely torn and normally both of us are too impatient to be indecisive. While the conversation had a lot of good information and was interesting I'm no closer to a decision and I'm not sure I would even bet 25 cents on which way he will go. And the funny thing is, I don't know anyone (real life or internet) who knows more on this subject than he does. The mobile app devs I know don't even know half as much as he does. I was thinking since he had both the 4S and the GS3 simultaneously (because of work) he could settle this. :lol: Nope!

I need to make a decision soon though, people are making stupid decisions in FF and dropping good people because of Bye Weeks and the people with smart phones are nabbing them up. :wacko:

NFC wont get used by many but check a video on Xperia smart tags they may appeal to you. touch the tag to instantly swap settings so you can say easily put your phone on silent and turn an alarm on or something before going to bed, or turn gps and data on when you get in a car.

Not something I would use but some may. May end up using NFC once it becomes more standard for purchases at stores. Then again probably not haha :lol:

However what was interesting was a photo shoot out with the 808 pureview. Granted it got raped by the pureview haha (do want to see it against the lumina pureview though) however it did hold its ground if you just ooked at pics full screen. 100% cropps you can see why the pureview is a marvolous bit of tech on a pos phone. But back to just viewing at full size the exmor r looked pretty damn good, more natural on some light. Could be better with HDR but that will come once the HDR software layer is pulled from the Xperia V. At 100% you see the noise but here is a link to look yourself - http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/09/26/camera-shootout-xperia-t-versus-nokia-808-pureview/

Well despite being a PC Gamer who frequents torrents (etc.) he did not root his droid ...to which me and another friend gave him hell. He didn't even have the speedtest app. His phone was pretty slow. It was also giving him error messages when he tried installing the app so he gave up. Then my other friend came into the conversation - guess he overheard us talking. He said he has confirmed with his own hardware before that Sprint's 3G is slower than everyone elses 3G. This other friend owns a rooted droid ...which he hates and is also in the market for a new phone so he is in the same exact spot I am. He knows more mobile app and gaming developers than I do and has done some app work himself. So we had an interesting conversation about why I am undecided and why he is undecided. As a rooted droid owner who loves having the ability to root his phone you would think his decision would be a lot simplier than mine (I could care less about rooting) - GS3. But he is still undecided.

He brought up some really good points:

•  
  • "You have the freedom to tweak a droid, which I love, but you also need to tweak a droid. I am always tweaking it to fix battery management making allowances for widgets I want and removing others to compensate for the load. While its fun tweaking it sometimes it is also a burden."

• "I've bricked my phone so many times either trying to root it or tweak to make it run more efficiently. I have litterally operated on it many times to get it working again."

• "My (app developer) friend said, 'that is why I bought an iPhone... so I wouldn't have to do those things.' "

• "There a lot more apps for Apple and they are always better ...the best you can hope for in the droid world is for equal footing. When my company gave me an iPhone 4S and a GS3 to test with the iPhone apps were always better. My friend who develops strictly for mobile apps has 1 iPhone and 1 iPad but 26 android phones he has to test with and he has to test every phone any time a change is made. Sometimes they get so annoyed because something is almost always sacrificed so they will only guarantee something works on certain phones with a specific O/S (i.e. GS3 icecream sandwich works ...but GS3 jellybean does not) and any deviation is risk taken by the user. So now Mobile App developers hate developing for android for this reason, which is why the apps are so fragmented."

Now it almost sounds like he wants an iPhone right? But he has same thoughts I do...

•  
  • "But if you go with Apple, you live in their world and do what they say. I want the ability to make 7 homescreens and customize each one the way I want to! I'm not sure I'm ready to give up that freedom."

Then we also talked about the proprietary crap Apple employs from SW to HW - iOS, dock connectors to iTunes.

He and I think a LOT alike. He follows both sides to see what both sides have to offer rather than immediately discounting either/both sides.

As it stands, Apple offers the better hardware that isn't phased out in 6 months like droid (Motorola being the worst offender) and it offers the better software (iOS is stable and so are the apps ...also bigger selection of apps).

For Droid, you have the freedom to tweak your phone as you wish. It can be both a benefit and a curse but that freedom is there. The hardware is more universal so you even if you have a GS3 and your friend has a Moto you can borrow his charger at work. Also you are only going to get the freedom of removable batteries and SD Cards with Droid. Which means droid hardware wins on available options.

So both sides have really compelling things that make them appealing. Both of us are completely torn and normally both of us are too impatient to be indecisive. While the conversation had a lot of good information and was interesting I'm no closer to a decision and I'm not sure I would even bet 25 cents on which way he will go. And the funny thing is, I don't know anyone (real life or internet) who knows more on this subject than he does. The mobile app devs I know don't even know half as much as he does. I was thinking since he had both the 4S and the GS3 simultaneously (because of work) he could settle this. :lol: Nope!

I need to make a decision soon though, people are making stupid decisions in FF and dropping good people because of Bye Weeks and the people with smart phones are nabbing them up. :wacko:

Which GS1 phone does he have??