Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

wow yous guys are way ahead of this ol geez when it comes to smart phones and new phone tech, but thanx for the good links and info ! ...looking over that xperia is making me think about a possible upgrade... the problem is i'm stuck with at&t for awhile yet and so i doesn't make sense to get a james bond superphone and have jive a$$ service...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow yous guys are way ahead of this ol geez when it comes to smart phones and new phone tech, but thanx for the good links and info ! ...looking over that xperia is making me think about a possible upgrade... the problem is i'm stuck with at&t for awhile yet and so i doesn't make sense to get a james bond superphone and have jive a$$ service...

When is your contract up??

You're a trucker right CJ??

Do you really need all those tweaking freedom and all those offered by Android? Maybe it's because I came from an iPhone to an Android but I really don't find much use of the tweaking freedom on my GS3. The phone is practically perfect to begin with (well not really, with that stupid UI and some this and that, but you get my point) to the degree that I wouldn't really mind not tweaking the phone in the first place, unlike the HTC Sensation I had before which really needs extensive tweaking just to get a 10 hour battery life out of it.

As for iTunes and all other Apple craps, I couldn't agree more. But in the end, I got use to it. iTunes is a pain in the butt but when I think of it, it's the tool that force me to keep my iPhone organized which I really like. They sort your bookmarks, books, musics and apps automatically, and in a way that I wouldn't need to do much work to customize it as it's all very well organized. Granted there are times I got frustrated since I can't move some songs quickly, but that's how it is. Accept life and move on..

Just my 2c on iPhone

When is your contract up??

You're a trucker right CJ??

yup im cross country over the road, through 48 lower states,... (i happen to be home for a minute) ...i use a verison mifi hot spot to link my onboard puter and have found that i have a good 3g or 4g signal and internet access virtually everywhere in the country,...but my at&t smart phone," NOT !! " ,...at&t drops out all over the place and that really suks...in about a year im going to verison for their coverage area and service...

yup im cross country over the road, through 48 lower states,... (i happen to be home for a minute) ...i use a verison mifi hot spot to link my onboard puter and have found that i have a good 3g or 4g signal and internet access virtually everywhere in the country,...but my at&t smart phone," NOT !! " ,...at&t drops out all over the place and that really suks...in about a year im going to verison for their coverage area and service...

That's good to know, you'd be the best TRUE representation of what service has the best coverage. Thanks for your insight!!! Guess you're looking at getting a Verizon phone when AT&T ends eh?? haha (or maybe Sprint, but you could technically get Verizon and kill two birds with one stone with one simplified service)

Do you really need all those tweaking freedom and all those offered by Android?

Like I said, no I do not. But would you build a PC today with a motherboard that didn't allow you to OC even you weren't intending to OC that PC? There would have to be a price advantage right? I mostly just need a solid phone. I don't dork around with my current dumb phone so I could easily deal with a locked O/S, but having flexibility is just nice. I have iTunes now because of my iTouch and it annoys the living piss out of me ...mostly because I can't pull the music I put on the device. It's not Apple's responsibility to police illegal music trafficing nor will they impede it.

Though the IP5 is most definitely in the running. I came up with a possible solution last night. Get the IP5 to solve my need for a solid phone and then buy the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 to satisfy the android urge. If I want to play around with a rooting/rom later I would much rather brick a $200 player than pay the non-contract price for a replacement S3 ($600-$700?). Not to mention I've always been a fan of saving as much battery power as possible for devices I need and going hog wild on fun devices. Then I could use SD Cards for movies and music.

That is one path I see a lot of advantages on right now and gives me the majority of the best of both worlds. The biggest downside is no removeable battery, which is something I've had on all my phones so far and I've used on all my phones so its an important feature. Though talking with iPhone users it sounds like their batteries don't really degrade that bad so that is good news. Though d3bruts just threw a new option the table.

Like IVI said, sounds like you are the best for comparing services. Not good news on AT&T as I was seriously considering them.

The LG Optimus G looks pretty good on paper... will be interested to see how it feels/performs when it becomes available.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/03/lg-optimus-g-announced-att-sprint/

This has me extremely interested. Only downsides I really see is no Verizon option and its running on Ice Cream instead of Jelly Bean ...maybe upgradeable and just didn't say? The other possible downside it sounds like a uniform backside so probably non-replaceable battery as well. Sounds like the 16GB version will have a micro SD slot so maybe it might have other options. :biggrin:

I could deal without the removeable battery most likely since right now only the S3 has this option and it sounds like this Droid could chump the S3. Though I am thinking I might want to stick with Verizon now if I can get Unlimited Talk/Text + Data for $70-80, so not having a Verizon option really sucks.

Thanks for posting this link! If you find more information on this please share! :cheers:

Like I said, no I do not. But would you build a PC today with a motherboard that didn't allow you to OC even you weren't intending to OC that PC? There would have to be a price advantage right? I mostly just need a solid phone. I don't dork around with my current dumb phone so I could easily deal with a locked O/S, but having flexibility is just nice. I have iTunes now because of my iTouch and it annoys the living piss out of me ...mostly because I can't pull the music I put on the device. It's not Apple's responsibility to police illegal music trafficing nor will they impede it.

Though the IP5 is most definitely in the running. I came up with a possible solution last night. Get the IP5 to solve my need for a solid phone and then buy the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 to satisfy the android urge. If I want to play around with a rooting/rom later I would much rather brick a $200 player than pay the non-contract price for a replacement S3 ($600-$700?). Not to mention I've always been a fan of saving as much battery power as possible for devices I need and going hog wild on fun devices. Then I could use SD Cards for movies and music.

That is one path I see a lot of advantages on right now and gives me the majority of the best of both worlds. The biggest downside is no removeable battery, which is something I've had on all my phones so far and I've used on all my phones so its an important feature. Though talking with iPhone users it sounds like their batteries don't really degrade that bad so that is good news. Though d3bruts just threw a new option the table.

Well my mind is saying no but reality is, I honestly won't find much use of them. With school and work, now I really have no time to start overclocking my PC again and that is why I've been using a laptop for the last 3 months.

Yes there would be a price advantage and it's nice to have flexibility but as I don't see it of any use for me in the foreseeable future, I just don't see why I should spend the extra $20 for an unlocked PC (mind you, $20 is a lot here in my country. I can feed myself for 7-10 days with that)

This is why I've been holding myself constantly from getting a new system, and the same thing happens to my phone too (no time to tweak). Hence why I'm considering on selling them and getting a simple not-so-smart phone or a smart-dumbphone.

Want to take my Galaxy 5.0 off my hands? :biggrin:

Well it's not mine but my dad's. He ordered a Nexus 7 a couple of weeks ago but I can't, for the love of me, understand why he needs to change it. The house is going to look more and more like a device graveyard at this rate.

It's a good device with nice big screen. May not be the best screen out there but I doubt you'll complain about it (unless there's some serious defect). Battery life is good to since it doesn't use radio. All in all a good device to have for entertainment and experimenting on android..

Only downside is, it's stuck with Froyo so the OS isn't gonna be as much fun as the others.

Tell me if you're interested :whistling:

I'm sure the shipping costs wouldn't make it worth it. :lol:

So the Galaxy player operating system can't be updated? Or is the only way thru root and rom?

It sounds like you and your family do have quite the collection of electronics, nice ones too!

Fogel just hit up xda you'll find out there if there are any official updates. Personally I like stock based roms but if it was stock based froyo I would just go to a gingerbread rom.

Oh and thanks to this thread I know what I am doing with my next paycheck.

- buy an LG Optimus 2X

- buy an additional battery for the long trips won't be needed day to day tho

- flash a new kernel with voodoo sound mods

- new rom too, gingerbread stock based with JB theme and tweaks.

-customize Tom before flashing, delete everything that makes it function as a phone.

- never put a sim in this only use wifi and Bluetooth and make myself a great little pmp.

Hardware 400x800p 4" IPS capacitve screen

dual 1ghz tegra 2 CPU

512mb ram

8gb internal expandable with 32gb external

HDMI out so take a second microSD with me with movies

wolfson DAC modded with voodoo sound should be sweet

I'll use player pro have sweet fuck all apps installed. So probably only dolphin, player pro, quick pic, camera, setxperia, battery indicator pro, trackID, maps, spotify and dropbox. Everything else can be deleted, frozen or hidden depending on weather it crashes the phone or not.

Going to cost me $400 and some time but should be good to get rid of my iPod touch 4th Gen.

Glad this thread is helping someone. :lol:

I will make a decision and when I do I will try to like my thread ...not! Seriously though, the entire point of this thread was to put all my research into one place so anyone else in the same decision mode can go to one spot and not read 20 articles looking for a spec.

I haven't contributed much but I've been following this thread for a while. I still can't decide on what I want. I've got a t-mobile galaxy s2, got it in January. I don't know what smart phone I'd want if I upgrade, and I don't even know if I'm going to upgrade anytime soon.