AMD 965 BE OC help for a n00b

It happens some times. No worries.

You may have to raise the htt voltage, the nb voltage cpu-nb voltage and of.course the core of the cpu. My suggestion would be to run your ram at the lowest clock speed multiplier with the stock timing and voltage. Set the cpu multi up a notch, boot it an run prime95 or occt for an hour and see what happens. If you are unstable and or bsod tickle the cpu voltage and see if you regain stability. If so rinse and repeat. When you get up around 3.80 or 3.90 raise your nb voltage to 1.30 and your nb frequency to 2400 or 2600 if it will do that. This will help the nb keep up with the cpu and keep everything happy. I wouldst really care if you go a little over 1.50 but after 1.60 you are pushing it. At 3.80 also increase your vdda one notch. That will help keep the cpu fed at the higher voltage. After you get the cpu to 4.00 ghz run a 24 hour occt or prime95 test to verify long term stability. Then oc some more if you want. Try not to get your temps higher then 55c. The chip does not like it up there.

• 10 months later...

The AMD 965 Black Edition CPU is still a powerful chip in 2013. A few years back many mobo's had just made changes to their boards to handle the 125w cpu's. Many were even shipped without the last bios installed, and you could not install certain 125w cpu's without updating the bios first. Even after the bios update the mobos components really were maxed out, and would fault out trying to overclock. That's why there were so many revisions such as ro,r1,r2,pro, on the same model motherboard. So rather than a clean crisp overclock there were caps (threshholds) on the clock speeds, even upping the voltage was finicky at best.

Be sure to to disable Cool&Quiet before any overclocking. The auto overclock usually doesn't exceed 7%, but it overclocks the cpu, memory, and possibly the graphics card simultaneously...a nice uniform bump-up without taxing an already outdated mobo. This may be some of the reasoning behind the newer cpu chips using 95w, it runs a heck of lot cooler. The 125w cpu's really need the higher end mobos to flex its muscle. Overclocking a 125w or 140w cpu generates an enormous amout of heat, you could literally heat a small room a 175w light bulb, a lightbulb or a cpu is nothing more that a controlled dead short.

These mobo manufacturers know the issues for their mobos, they sell them knowing that. Have you ever heard of a mobo recall, so you can update or replace the one you bought...no. They just make the proper component changes, and sell you a new revised version of the mobo you bought that can actually handle its claims. The newer 9 series ASUS mobos are beefy enough to handle the tweaking you bought it for in the first place.

Okay warWeeny sorry for the resurrection.

When I had the Asus M4N98TD evo I could run  the 965BE at 1.5v or 1.55v and get 3.96ghz.

Some body had the same rig as me and could get 4.1ghz for slightly less voltage.

My new mobo, Asus M5A99Fx Pro 2.0 can only get the CPU to 3.84Ghz.

Mobos and Cpus can vary a great deal.

Note: My 9 series mobo is weaker than my older board.

Okay warWeeny sorry for the resurrection.

When I had the Asus M4N98TD evo I could run  the 965BE at 1.5v or 1.55v and get 3.96ghz.

Some body had the same rig as me and could get 4.1ghz for slightly less voltage.

My new mobo, Asus M5A99Fx Pro 2.0 can only get the CPU to 3.84Ghz.

Mobos and Cpus can vary a great deal.

Note: My 9 series mobo is weaker than my older board.

That is due to the differences between 2 chips. Some are good and some are not so good, and a few are golden chips.

But those slight differences should be ignored for the most of the time.