Battlefield 3

TheyCallMeGunny

So I got BF3, joined the OCC platoon. I played a couple quick-matches but they were big maps with jets, etc. and only like two people in each team :lol:

It was a good chance for me to work on my piloting skills though, and I gotta admit those helicopters are a pain!

Is there a way to change mouse sensitivity for jets?

I have to move my mouse the whole way up my desk, lift it up and move it to the bottom then set it back down, and repeat.. Only about a billion times just to change vertical pitch.

Meanwhile, my horizontal pitch is off the charts. If I'm "gliding" with my hand idly on the mouse, and I flick my cigarette with one hand, the other one moves about a molecule.. And the jet flips upside down and back over.

I seriously doubt the mouse should be anywhere near this biased and messed up. Is there some way to change this? Because I can't find any settings for it, and my sensitivity is perfect on foot, so I don't want to change the common setting.

Hell, I'd even take a way to play mouse and keyboard, but have a 360 controller plugged in for piloting.. Because something is seriously out of whack with flying the jets. I might get a 1-2 degree pitch after 10 seconds of moving the mouse repeatedly.. I have to fly about a million miles away to turn it around, because it is absolutely impossible to make even the slighest vertical pitch in any reasonable amount of time. Meanwhile I can spin like a twister with one flick of my wrist sideways.

--Speaking of, if anyone made a Battlefield 3 piloting tips guide that's actually good.. I'd recommend stickying that in the games section. It's something I'm sure a lot of us could use.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you can change sensitivity for vehicles and on foot independently. But unfortunately you can't change Y-axis and X-axis sensitivity independently of one another. So you get stuck with exactly what you were describing, one axis is over-sensitive, the other under-sensitive.

I

Hell, I'd even take a way to play mouse and keyboard, but have a 360 controller plugged in for piloting..

That's exactly what I do. I use my mouse and KB for infantry, and switch to my 360 controller for air vehicles. You just have a controller plugged in, and you can switch on the fly.

I've tried piloting with a good joystick controller, but on the controller I'm using, if I have it set to pitch up when pulling back on the joystick in a jet, it does the exact opposite when in a chopper. i.e. pull the joystick back to increase altitude in jet results in a nose dive on the choppers......... hmmm, wonder if it's my controller or the game?

With that problem in hand I've just resolved myself to use my mouse and keyboard for air navigation in both jets and helicopters.

I tried using my 360 controller for flying and just couldn't get that hang of it. Alex and I joined an empty server and for about 2 hours I just flew jets and heli's and got the hang of it. Once you can time your cork screws and dives fluidly, it becomes pretty easy to pick out targets and evade. On my mouse I can change the DPI settings on the fly, so when I get in a plane, I just increase the DPI settings and go on with my flight. A HUGE tip I learned from a tutorial flying video from youtube (Ill look for it when I get home) is when you want to turn in a plane, hold back, this slows the plane down and dramaitcally decreases the turning radius. Once you are flying, there is no reason to hold the forward button which was another thing messing me up. I only press it when I am in boost trying to outrun a rocket. Now for flying a heli... that's a whole other story :D

I have to pack when I get home tonight, but when I finish that I will be gaming all evening...

A HUGE tip I learned from a tutorial flying video from youtube (Ill look for it when I get home) is when you want to turn in a plane, hold back, this slows the plane down and dramaitcally decreases the turning radius. Once you are flying, there is no reason to hold the forward button which was another thing messing me up. I only press it when I am in boost trying to outrun a rocket.

Not true, or at least not in my experience. You can turn faster if you sort of alternate between the throttle and brake. Like the quickest way to do a 180 is to hold brake for the first half, and then give it the throttle again to keep your speed up. After I figured this out I rarely find someone can who can outdogfight me. Of course, I also know some special maneuvers that almost always can shake people off your tail, but those are secret :evilgrin:

Another tip for decreasing turn radius when using a keyboard;

Hold the corresponding A or D buttons when banking into a turn using your mouse. The A & D buttons control the rudder, while the mouse controls the ailerons.

Well y eah, when you are coming out of the turn you want to accelerate. Just like racing a car, you want to slow down before you get through the turn, then accell out of it. Yes holding the respective A or D buttons while turning with your mouse will help a lot. Thats just my feeling that is.

So the 360 controller makes flying easy. Didn't know you could hot swap with both plugged in, good look.

I just changed a few controls, and it's much easier for me now.

Heli vertical pitch and yaw are both on left joystick. Heli roll is on right joystick.

Jet horizontal pitch is on right stick, and vertical pitch is on left stick. (to avoid accidental rolling) Takes 2 sticks to turn, but makes it much more precise, and less prone to accidental nose dives.

Set afterburner to RB, countermeasures to LB, fire to A, and reload to B.

I think that's about all I changed. It's working for me.

Like toasty said just jump on an empty server and fly use the buildings as targets to learn how to aim/strafe and learn to fly dodge through creeks or roads through trees ect...