Which paste to use on EVO and 960T?

What is the 'best' paste possible for potentially good overclocking? Something that would give me headroom for medium to heavy overclocking in the future. Without burning it in or costing an arm and a leg.

the cm grease that came with your 212 evo because honestly there is no paste out there that is going to drastically change your overclocking headroom. turning the air con on will do far more.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the 'best' paste possible for potentially good overclocking? Something that would give me headroom for medium to heavy overclocking in the future. Without burning it in or costing an arm and a leg.

They're all so close it really doesn't matter.

the cm grease that came with your 212 evo because honestly there is no paste out there that is going to drastically change your overclocking headroom. turning the air con on will do far more.

They're all so close it really doesn't matter.

I'll probably try the Prolimatech PRO-PK1. It's still better than the CM grease I suspect and every lil' bit helps I guess.

Edited by Stealth3si

they all will be mostly within 1c of temps no matter what you get....

the main thing is application.... how you apply it makes all the difference in the world. I like the thinner materials so I can spread in on transparently thin and check the Contact patch... once I like it I run with it.... except for the white goop... its thin enough I know just how to put it on and get it to smoosh out very thin....

just using that approach only netted me a 20c idle temp drop versus the stock cooling thick film pad...

IMO, it would be Noctua NT-H1 or MX-4. I prefer the first one.

I always use Arctic Silver 5.

But the difference isn't going to be night and day whatever you use. Just make sure to apply it right (use thin lines along the contact heatpipes), and it'll do about the same as anything else.

Btw you can usually find AC5 cheap as heck on amazon. I got a 3.5g tube for $2, whereas they were $15 on newegg.

If you're hot, rub each compound on different parts of your body, then the one that keeps you the coolest. Use :woot:

+1

for the top 3...the final test

stick some paste on your index finger..then squeeze it together with your thumb...which ever one is hardest to get off and feels like it's been soaked up in every pore...use :woot:

Ok I hear what you'll have to say: application is more important than the paste itself and all of them are about the same in terms of yielding performance results.

But why would I use Prolimatech over AS5 or CM grease? If there is a good reason I might pick it.

Edited by Stealth3si

Some are esier to apply or have less cure time.

Like everyone else has said, it's the application that matters the most. A nice thin even coat...